Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Recruits - 2011 & 2012

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
    Campbell is in net for Niagara. They are shorthanded at goal. Freshman Carsen Chubak is out for the year with an injury after it seemed he was going to settle in as the starter. Another goalie is off the roster, Andrew Hare, and the only other goalie is junior Chris Noonan. Campbell has done well so far late in the third Niagara on top 5-2 and Campbell with 33 saves so far. If he does well he could settle in as the starter the rest of the season.
    Well good for him. In the interviews I've read, he seems like a good kid who had been jerked around a little bit. Stability might be just what he needs.

"In his first collegiate start, Cody looked like a veteran in net," (NIagara Coach) Burkholder said. "Campbell kept us in the game for most of the night, including a stretch where we were outshot 24-13 in the last four minutes of the game."
    Last edited by C-H-C; 01-07-2011, 09:13 PM. Reason: game summary
    The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

RECRUIT UPDATE - Week Ending Jan. 9th

Jay Camper (Chicago/USHL) - 28 GP, 7-3-10, 24 PIM

Eric Chevrier (Cushing Academy/NEPrepHC) - 13 GP, 1-9-10.

Casey DeSmith (Indiana Ice/USHL) - 17 GP, 11W-6L, 2.34 GAA, .926 SV%

Grayson Downing (Westside/BCHL) - 35 GP, 24-21-45, 18 PIM

Jamie Hill (Waterloo/USHL) - 27 GP, 5-5-10, 36 PIM

Ryan Randall (NH Jr. Monarchs/EJHL) - 26 GP, 7-12-19, 6 PIM

Kyle Smith (Jr. Bruins/EJHL) - 29 GP, 9-23-32, 8 PIM

Trevor van Riemsdyk (NH Jr. Monarchs/EJHL) - 27 GP, 11-13-24, 14 PIM

Dan Correale (Grand Prairie/AJHL) - 44 GP, 19-35-54, 24 PIM

Maxim Gaudreault (Sioux City/USHL) - 27 GP, 5-5-10, 14 PIM

Casey Thrush (Muskegon/USHL) - 28 GP, 6-6-12, 14 PIM

Mike Vecchione (Malden Catholic HS/Catholic Conf.) - 6 GP, 10-9-19.

Dylan Maller (DC Capitals/North American Prospects Hockey League) - 14 GP, 1-2-3, 2 PIM - Season resumes Jan 14.
      (Wooten H.S./Maryland Scholastic Hockey League) - 2 GP, 0-1-1, 4 PIM

Brett Pesce (North Jersey Avalanche/Atlantic Youth Hockey League) - 13 GP, 8-12-20, 8 PIM

Tyler Kelleher (Deerfield Academy/NEPrepFounders) - 11 GP, 7-4-11.

In the BCHL, Grayson Downing is tied for 6th in Total Goals and tied for 4th in Powerplay Goals despite missing 4 games in December (injury) and 4 games in November (World Junior A Challenge).
      In the AJHL, Dan Correale is tied for 3rd in Scoring and tied for 1st in assists.
      In the USHL, Casey DeSmith is tied for 4th place in Save Percentage and has won 7 straight games.
      Also, Maxim Gaudreault got the game winning goal and earned the #1 Star in today's game.
      Teams in the EJHL have been idle since Dec 19th and resume on Jan 12th.
      Last edited by C-H-C; 01-09-2011, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Arnie Davis, the Potato Pin man from Alfond Arena is celebrating his 90th birthday this week. I've started a birthday thread in the Cafe. Make sure to post your birthday wishes to one of the few gentlemen from Maine!
        Originally posted by mookie1995
        bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
        Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
        Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

The mid-term Central Scouting Service rankings were released today for this spring's draft. Not a UNH recruit to be found despite a few being talked about as possible draftees. I wonder if UNH is making a conscious effort to focus their attention on kids that go overlooked by the NHL but are locks to stay in school and develop over four years (Butler, Thompson, Sislo) as opposed to the top prospects who might be better their first few years on campus but won't stay four years if they come at all (JVR, Keith Yandle). In looking at the last few national champions, it seems a healthy mix of the two has been most successful.
          http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=67005
          "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Kyle Smith, Trevor van Riemsdyk, and Ryan Randall were named to the Eastern Junior Hockey League's All-Star Team.

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
              The mid-term Central Scouting Service rankings were released today for this spring's draft. Not a UNH recruit to be found despite a few being talked about as possible draftees.
              http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=67005
              For the 2011 NHL Entry Draft next June, amateur players born between Dec 31, 1991 and Sept 15, 1993 are eligible. That means that the following UNH recruits are eligible (from oldest to youngest):
              Jamie Hill
              Kyle Smith
              Ryan Randall
              Grayson Downing
              Casey Thrush
              Maxim Gaudreault
              Eric Chevrier
              Mike Vecchione

Only Chevrier and Vecchione were on the NHL Central Scouting Players to Watch list from Oct 2010. They were listed as "C" Players which means that Central Scouting was tracking them and they had the potential to be drafted after the 5th round. Perhaps the relatively few league games that Chevrier and Vecchione have played worked against them. Mike Vecchione has been lighting it up in Massachusetts High School play so it's difficult to understand why his draft stock has fallen.

Another recruit who had been mentioned in previous NHL Central Scouting lists is Grayson Downing. Last year, he was ranked as #110 among North American players in the midseason list and #144 on the final predraft list. He was not drafted in the June 2010 draft. Downing has been a prolific scorer this season in the British Columbia Hockey League and played very well at the World Junior A Challenge in November. However, his play has not resulted in him being added to the 2011 mid-term list.

Finally, Casey Thrush was ranked #97 on last year's NHL Central Scouting mid-term list and #89 on the Final Rankings, predraft list. He also was not drafted in the 2010 NHL draft. In this, his first season in the USHL, his 6-6-12 totals in 28 games apparently have not attracted the attention of NHL Central Scouting.

Comment

Here's an interview with Maxim Gaudreault and the coach of the Sioux City Musketeers regarding his progress in the USHL.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
                  For the 2011 NHL Entry Draft next June, amateur players born between Dec 31, 1991 and Sept 15, 1993 are eligible. That means that the following UNH recruits are eligible (from oldest to youngest):
                  Jamie Hill
                  Kyle Smith
                  Ryan Randall
                  Grayson Downing
                  Casey Thrush
                  Maxim Gaudreault
                  Eric Chevrier
                  Mike Vecchione

Only Chevrier and Vecchione were on the NHL Central Scouting Players to Watch list from Oct 2010. They were listed as "C" Players which means that Central Scouting was tracking them and they had the potential to be drafted after the 5th round. Perhaps the relatively few league games that Chevrier and Vecchione have played worked against them. Mike Vecchione has been lighting it up in Massachusetts High School play so it's difficult to understand why his draft stock has fallen.

Another recruit who had been mentioned in previous NHL Central Scouting lists is Grayson Downing. Last year, he was ranked as #110 among North American players in the midseason list and #144 on the final predraft list. He was not drafted in the June 2010 draft. Downing has been a prolific scorer this season in the British Columbia Hockey League and played very well at the World Junior A Challenge in November. However, his play has not resulted in him being added to the 2011 mid-term list.

Finally, Casey Thrush was ranked #97 on last year's NHL Central Scouting mid-term list and #89 on the Final Rankings, predraft list. He also was not drafted in the 2010 NHL draft. In this, his first season in the USHL, his 6-6-12 totals in 28 games apparently have not attracted the attention of NHL Central Scouting.
                  CHC,

You are cutting your eligibility off a year early there. 91s are still eligible for this years draft too. Guys you excluded like Camper and TVR, although not prime NHL targets by any account, are also still eligible, Along with current players Henrion, Wyer, Goumas, and Sorkin.

Comment

Originally posted by TMHUNH View Post
                    CHC,

You are cutting your eligibility off a year early there. 91s are still eligible for this years draft too. Guys you excluded like Camper and TVR, although not prime NHL targets by any account, are also still eligible, Along with current players Henrion, Wyer, Goumas, and Sorkin.
                    Oops - did I interpret the eligibility requirements from NHL.com incorrectly?
                    I don't think I did - The 2011 Entry Draft, to be held on June 24th and 25th in St. Paul, is for players who will turn 18 by Sept 15, 2011 through players who will turn 20 by Dec 31, 2011. That means players whose birthday is between Dec 31, 1991 and Sept 15, 1993. That covers the birthdays of the group of UNH recruits I identified (I'm pretty sure).
                    Last edited by C-H-C; 01-11-2011, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Looks like it. Most players basically go through 3 years of eligibility, in the years they turn 18, 19, and 20. The only exception are the post September 15th DOBs who only get two years of eligibility because they get screwed out of the 3rd year because they still turn 21 by the end of that calendar year, but also have somewhat of an advantage in the first year because they get the extra year of development, usually at higher levels.

Comment

I don't think I did - The 2011 Entry Draft, to be held on June 24th and 25th in St. Paul, is for players who will turn 18 by Sept 15, 2011 through players who will turn 20 by Dec 31, 2011. That means players whose birthday is between Dec 31, 1991 and Sept 15, 1993. That covers the birthdays of the group of UNH recruits I identified (I'm pretty sure).
                        For example, check out the 2011 NHL Entry Draft Rankings posted on thehockeywriters.com. All their birthdays are between 12/31/91 and 9/13/93.
                        Last edited by C-H-C; 01-11-2011, 11:25 AM.

Comment

They phrase it kind of whacky there, I see how you got confused. When it says "players who will turn 20 by 12/31" it is indicating those players are inclusive, not inelgible. Meaning you would have to turn 21 by 12/31 (1990 birthdates) to be too old.

Trust me on this one. If you want an example off the top of my head, since I am a Bruins fan, look at Zach Trotman who was the last pick of the draft last year by the B's. August of 90 birthdate. Proof that 91s are fair game a year later.

Comment

Check out the 2011 NHL Entry Draft Rankings posted on thehockeywriters.com. All their birthdays are between 12/31/91 and 9/13/93 - which applies to the group of UNH recruits I identified.
                            The oldest draft eligible, UNH recruit is Jamie Hill who was born on Feb 3, 1992. The youngest is Mike Vecchione who was born on Feb 25, 1993.
                            Last edited by C-H-C; 01-11-2011, 11:37 AM. Reason: re-pasted thehockeywriters.com link

Comment

Check out the 2011 NHL Entry Draft Rankings posted on thehockeywriters.com. All their birthdays are between 12/31/91 and 9/13/93 - which applies to the group of UNH recruits I identified.
                              The oldest draft eligible, UNH recruit is Jamie Hill who was born on Feb 3, 1992. The youngest is Mike Vecchione who was born on Feb 25, 1993.
                              Link doesnt come up for me.

I dont mean to turn this into a debate, especially since none of the players you didnt identify would be picked anyway, nor would most anyone in their 3rd year of eligibilty playing anywhere. But just trust that I know what I am talking about on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by TMHUNH View Post
                                Link doesnt come up for me.

I dont mean to turn this into a debate, especially since none of the players you didnt identify would be picked anyway, nor would most anyone in their 3rd year of eligibilty playing anywhere. But just trust that I know what I am talking about on this one.
                                This is the 2011 NHL Entry Draft Rankings from thehockeywriters.com. This isn't a debate - I just want to provide accurate information.

Comment

Working...
                                X