X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Recruits - 2011 & 2012

RECRUIT UPDATE - Week Ending Dec. 12th

Jay Camper (Chicago/USHL) - 24 GP, 7-2-9, 15 PIM

Eric Chevrier (Cushing Academy/NEPrepHC) - 4 GP, 1-5-6.

Casey DeSmith (Indiana Ice/USHL) - 14 GP, 8W-6L, 2.41 GAA, .921 SV%

Grayson Downing (Westside/BCHL) - 31 GP, 22-19-41, 14 PIM

Jamie Hill (Waterloo/USHL) - 19 GP, 2-2-4, 12 PIM

Kyle Smith (Jr. Bruins/EJHL) - 26 GP, 5-21-26, 4 PIM

Trevor van Riemsdyk (NH Jr. Monarchs/EJHL) - 25 GP, 11-12-23, 14 PIM

Dan Correale (Grand Prairie/AJHL) - 35 GP, 16-27-43, 16 PIM

Maxim Gaudreault (Sioux City/USHL) - 19 GP, 2-4-6, 10 PIM

Casey Thrush (Muskegon/USHL) - 22 GP, 4-6-10, 10 PIM

Mike Vecchione (Malden Catholic H.S.) - Season Begins Dec 14

Dylan Maller (DC Capitals/North American Prospects Hockey League) - 14 GP, 1-2-3, 2 PIM - Season resumes Jan 14.

In the BCHL, Grayson Downing is tied for 4th in Total Goals and Powerplay Goals.
    In the AJHL, Dan Correale is tied for 4th in Scoring.
    In the EJHL, Kyle Smith is tied for 6th in Assists and
    Trevor van Riemsdyk is the Leading Scorer among Defensemen.
    In the NEPrepHC, Eric Chevrier is tied for 3rd in Scoring among Defensemen.
    In the USHL, Casey DeSmith is in 6th place in Save Percentage.
    Last edited by C-H-C; 12-14-2010, 09:28 PM.
    The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

CHC, I heard you were re-launching a new Recruiting site!!

Anyway- thanks for the regular updates!
      GSP.. Get Some!!

Comment

2012 recruit, Mike Vecchione had 5 assists in Malden Catholic's season opener. The senior captain assisted on 5 out of the 6 goals as Malden Catholic defeated Andover High School 6-2.

Comment

According to USHR Vinny Saponari will not be admitted to BC - UNH was mentioned as being in the picture when he committed to the Eagles. The Wildcats could certainly use some more offense next year with the departure of the entire first line and probably Kessel. Though you have to wonder if Saponari will simply decide turn pro at some point...

UNH also apparently lost out on recent Michigan verbal, and Canisius de-commit, defenseman Brennan Serville earlier this week. Serville is a strong skater with good hands and a potential PP quarterback according to mgoblog.com.

Seems to indicate that they may still be looking to fill the Joey Leleggia scholarship and/or defensive opening...
          Live Free or Die!!
          Miami University '03

Comment

I doubt that Umile would take Saponari at this point. I'm sure that there's a good reason why Parker dismissed him from BU, and the last thing that Umile needs is another Danny Dries (if Saponari's off-ice issues were the reason for his dismissal) or another Joe Charlebois (an academic failure). Saponari would be better off pursuing a pro career, IMHO.
            UNH

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
              According to USHR Vinny Saponari will not be admitted to BC - UNH was mentioned as being in the picture when he committed to the Eagles.
              UNH also apparently lost out on recent Michigan verbal, and Canisius de-commit, defenseman Brennan Serville earlier this week.
              For a couple of years now, the UNH Recruit threads have included several citations from U.S. Hockey Report in which UNH reportedly "lost" a recruit to some other school. However, if you look at the USHR articles (many are available to read for free), three things stand out. First, UNH is usually included in a list of several schools who were "recruiting" the player. Second, the degree to which UNH (or any other school) was pursuing the recruit is usually not described. As I understand it, recruiting can range from something innocuous like either Coach Borek or Lassonde sitting in the stands (along with dozens of other recruiters) at some showcase tournament like the Beantown Classic, all the way up to having the recruit visit the Durham campus at UNH's expense. Third, the source of the information on which school was recruiting the player is often not identified. With such scant information, it is usually difficult to determine just how hard UNH was "recruiting" the player or whether the player was ever really considering UNH as a viable option.

On rare occasions, USHR will include an interview with the player regarding what went into his decision to choose one school over all the others interested in him. The reporting on Cody Ferriero over the summer is an example. However, even in that case, the reader is only getting the player's side of the story - not the perspective of the teams who "lost" him or "won" him over.

What's my point? Whenever I read that UNH lost in their effort to recruit a player I take it with a giant grain of salt and realize that we'll probably never know what actually happened. Further, with such limited information available, we are all left to speculate on what happened. For example, was UNH really that interested in a player who had previously made a commitment to play for Canisius (not exactly a powerhouse college program)? It makes for interesting discussions but we're all mostly poking around in the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
                For a couple of years now, the UNH Recruit threads have included several citations from U.S. Hockey Report in which UNH reportedly "lost" a recruit to some other school...It makes for interesting discussions but we're all mostly poking around in the dark.
                Just trying to post some UNH recruiting-related information - I never tried to imply that it was anything more than just one man's (USHR) report. However, after reading USHR for many years they're not apt to mention a school in that regard unless they are fairly certain there was legitimate interest. Whether that interest generates any sort of offer or was simply due diligence is anybody's guess...

Serville is a CSB "B" Prospect and an 8th round OHL draft pick, who USHR reports is big kid, a great skater and a potential quarterback who generated interest from Michigan, Michigan State and UNH (sounds a lot like Laleggia, except for the size). I don't know what type of player he is or who he'll turn out to be, I only mentioned the article hoping to find an answer to the following question:

Is UNH still looking to fill Laleggia's spot on the back line? If they still have a scholarship should they use it on a defenseman?

I am surprised to see UNH active on a 2011 defenseman with Knodel, Agosta, Van Riemsdyk and Chevrier already in the fold to replace Beck and Campanale (and Kessel?).

Re: Saponari - Scott, I was surprised to see UNH mentioned when he committed to BC for many of the same reasons you mention. Doesn't seem like a Umile type of guy. But, its an interesting name with Thompson/Sislo/Desimone graduating. There are definite question marks about UNH's 2011-12 offense...

Having seen Downing, I think he will be TREMENDOUS and could make an immediate impact on the top-two lines. I was definitely expecting more out of Kyle Smith and Jamie Hill after hearing about how well they played together as younger players. Smith is playing well, but in the EJHL. Hill is not scoring in the USHL, but maybe he finds it again once they're re-united...
                Live Free or Die!!
                Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                  Just trying to post some UNH recruiting-related information - I never tried to imply that it was anything more than just one man's (USHR) report. However, after reading USHR for many years they're not apt to mention a school in that regard unless they are fairly certain there was legitimate interest. Whether that interest generates any sort of offer or was simply due diligence is anybody's guess...
                  Didn't intend to be critical of your post. The questions you've raised about whether UNH is looking to replace Laleggia and whether Saponari would fit into UNH's offensive plans are interesting and fun to discuss.

My comments were directed at US Hockey Report. For anyone interested in a Boston-centric perspective on prep school, high school and college hockey, USHR is a rich source of information.

As you say, it's a little surprising that UNH would be interested in Serville since, on paper, their defensive vacancies for next season would appear to be met by Agosta, Knodel, Eric Chevrier and Trevor van Riemsdyk. But then again, UNH's goalie needs over the next couple of years, appeared to be met by DiGirolamo with Cody Campbell as the heir apparent. But then Casey DeSmith improved his play dramatically early in the USHL season (along with his play on Team USA in the World Junior A Challenge) and UNH moved quickly to get a commitment from him - leaving Campbell as the odd man out.

As for Vinny Saponari, if (as USHR reported) the BC hockey operations thought he would meet the school's academic requirements and then the admissions office said he does not, then I would think UNH would be leery of pursuing him. UNH probably wants to steer clear of guys who have admissions issues - after their experience with Cam Reid and Matt White.

Comment

UNH has eight d-men on the roster this year, which is the ideal number. They are losing three after the season (Campanale, Beck, Kessel) and only two (TVR and Chevrier) are slated to matriculate in the fall. It's not terribly surprising that they'd be interested in adding a third d-man to the class.
                    "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Grayson Downing has not been in the lineup for the last 3 Westside Warrior games. Downing reportedly has an unspecified injury sustained in last Saturday's game.

Comment

Regarding Saponari, the story out there, and written about on this forum, was that he was suspended for violating team rules (drinking), then blew off a meeting with Parker and some athletic department staff. That was enough for Parker. I was beyond surprised that BC jumped on him, considering St. Jerry's reputation. I would highly doubt UNH would be interested, especially after the Dries situation.

Comment

RECRUIT UPDATE - Week Ending Dec. 19th

Jay Camper (Chicago/USHL) - 26 GP, 7-3-10, 15 PIM

Eric Chevrier (Cushing Academy/NEPrepHC) - 7 GP, 1-6-7.

Casey DeSmith (Indiana Ice/USHL) - 15 GP, 9W-6L, 2.32 GAA, .925 SV%

Grayson Downing (Westside/BCHL) - 31 GP, 22-19-41, 14 PIM

Jamie Hill (Waterloo/USHL) - 21 GP, 3-2-5, 18 PIM

Kyle Smith (Jr. Bruins/EJHL) - 28 GP, 9-22-31, 6 PIM

Trevor van Riemsdyk (NH Jr. Monarchs/EJHL) - 27 GP, 11-13-24, 14 PIM

Dan Correale (Grand Prairie/AJHL) - 39 GP, 17-33-50, 18 PIM

Maxim Gaudreault (Sioux City/USHL) - 21 GP, 4-4-8, 10 PIM

Casey Thrush (Muskegon/USHL) - 24 GP, 4-6-10, 10 PIM

Mike Vecchione (Malden Catholic H.S.) - 2 GP, 1-6-7.

Dylan Maller (DC Capitals/North American Prospects Hockey League) - 14 GP, 1-2-3, 2 PIM - Season resumes Jan 14.
                          (Wooten H.S./Maryland Scholastic Hockey League) - 1 GP, 0-1-1, 4 PIM

In the USHL, Maxim Gaudreault had a 2 goal game on Sunday with a short-handed goal.
                          In the EJHL, Kyle Smith also had a 2 goal game on Saturday with a powerplay and short-handed goal.
                          2012 Recruit Mike Vecchione had a goal and 6 assists in Malden Catholic's first two games of the season.
                          In the BCHL, Grayson Downing missed all 4 games this week with an unspecified injury. He reportedly will return to the lineup when the Westside Warriors resume the season on Dec. 28th.

Comment

In this article from New England Hockey Journal, Mike Vecchione discusses his plans to come to UNH. In it he says:
                            "I felt UNH would be the best fit for me, but I don't see myself going up there next year," Vecchione said. "Coach Umile was straightforward with me. He told me he'd like to see me get bigger, stronger and faster, and asked me if I'd be willing to do an extra year in the USHL."
                            Last May, Vecchione was drafted by the Tri-City Storm, the USHL team based in Kearny, Nebraska.
                            Last edited by C-H-C; 12-22-2010, 08:27 PM.

Comment

US Hockey Report is reporting that UNH has two new commitments.
                              The first is soon-to-be 16-year-old Tyler Kelleher (1/2/1995) who is a freshman forward at Deerfield Academy.
                              The second is 16-year-old Brett Pesce (11/15/1994) a high-scoring defenseman for the New Jersey Avalanche of the Atlantic Youth Hockey League.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
                                US Hockey Report is reporting that UNH has two new commitments.
                                Heisenberg's site also lists a commit for either '11 or '12 from LD Ryan Randall of the Monarchs.
                                Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                                2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                                2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                                2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                                2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Working...
                                X