Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irish hockey '10-11-Everyone bets on a sure thing, but it takes guts not to fold.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish hockey '10-11-Everyone bets on a sure thing, but it takes guts not to fold.

I've been thinking of the Thomas Paine quote, "What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is its dearness that gives everything its value."

That fits well with ND hockey. From the hard work to start the program a mere 42 years ago, to fighting for significance in more than one league, to being dumped by the University, to working to return to significance, to embracing that significance in Colorado, to taking that significance for granted last season, to earning the right to play in new digs next fall.

The first official practice is in 6 days. The first game situation is in 7. Captains will be announced as early as tomorrow.

The team is freshman-heavy and senior-light. 12 new names to learn. 5 to watch for the last time. There are more freshmen than any 2 other classes combined.

Who will impress? Who will lead? Who will stand between the pipes? Who will have a break out season?

As the team and fans prepare for the last full season in the JACC, will we all hold the past teams and the fading facilities dear? While I'm excited for the new arena, I will make sure I savor every moment of this upcoming season. This building is where I fell in love with hockey. This is the team I fell in love with. For three and a half decades, my life has revolved around Notre Dame hockey. Of course I hold them dear.
    "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Re: Irish hockey '10-11-Everyone bets on a sure thing, but it takes guts not to fold.

Your title is classier than the "University of Notre Dame 2010-2011: Don't Taze me bro!" I was thinking of.
    I am expecting a solid year offensively from both Maday and Ridderwall, as in last season. Maday is a little more dynamic and less one-dimensional than Calle, but both should be dangerous. I really don't know what to expect from Riley Sheahan, but I'm hoping he can fall into gear this season. If that happens he is going to be a force. I think Patrick Gaul will continue on with the promise he was showing last season, and I anticipate consitent contribution from Ben Ryan. I expect solid D from Lavin and Lorenz, and I'm interested to see what Calabrese can do. Hopefully he won't sustain a season-ending injury in his first shift again.
    For C I am expecting Maday, with Ben Ryan as a possibility. Maybe as an A.
    This Guelph game will be a test. This will be the 6th game of their season already.

Comment

Re: Irish hockey '10-11-Everyone bets on a sure thing, but it takes guts not to fold.

Why do I let JJfP beat me to starting these season threads anyway?

Your captains for 2010-2011: Joe Lavin, Calle Ridderwall, Ben Ryan, and Ryan Guentzel. Lavin will wear the "C", chosen, apparently, by his teammates.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
        Why do I let JJfP beat me to starting these season threads anyway?
        Because you have more patience than I do!
        Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan
        Your captains for 2010-2011: Joe Lavin, Calle Ridderwall, Ben Ryan, and Ryan Guentzel. Lavin will wear the "C", chosen, apparently, by his teammates.
        If only I had lottery luck like I do picking captains kinda luck! I'm quite pleased with 2 of my choices wearing letters. Especially the C.

(And, hey IHF, you always beat me to the newsworthy stuff! )

Edit: I also have to add...loved what Coach Jackson had to say about last season and this season. Say "No" to the entitlement, boys.
        Last edited by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.; 09-27-2010, 05:33 PM.

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

I think Christian Hanson has the inside track to be the 4th line center on the Leafs. Wilson said last night's lineup against Buffalo was about what it'll be on opening night. Kadri and Mitchell were scratches - Hanson suited up.

He scored last night -- the goal is at 4:00 of the video.

******* width="640" height="383" id="embed" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000">****** name="movie" value="http://video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/videocenter/embed.swf" />****** name="quality" value="high" />****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true" />****** name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" />****** name="flashVars" value="catid=0&id=76485&server=http://video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/" />****** name="embed" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/videocenter/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="383" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" flashVars="catid=0&id=76485&server=http://video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/">
          Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Not only that, but his TOI was only about 9:00. Talk about making the most of your time.

Did you also see the lengthy intermission piece/interview with Brett Lebda?

There may not be a lot of ND players in the NHL, but they are getting some good exposure.

Comment

Gosh it sure seems like Ridderwall has been around forever doesn't it?? Maybe thats just the point of view from outsiders lol Sheahan really impressed at the Red Wings developmental camp, as I am a Wings fan I'm hoping for a big year out of him although with any luck he plays his worst games of the season against my Lakers

Comment

Hey, I have a friend coming to your town for an audit and she asked me to finds her "good restaurants". Any help comes with my gratitude.
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
                  Not only that, but his TOI was only about 9:00. Talk about making the most of your time.

Did you also see the lengthy intermission piece/interview with Brett Lebda?

There may not be a lot of ND players in the NHL, but they are getting some good exposure.
                  Caught the tail end of the Lebda piece -- hope he's going to have an impact on the blue line.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                    Hey, I have a friend coming to your town for an audit and she asked me to finds her "good restaurants". Any help comes with my gratitude.
                    What kind of food is she looking for? There are a few good Thai and Mexican places I can think of off the top of my head, along with the usual fast food chains.
                    Glad to see the captains named. I'm surprised that Lavin was an option, seeing as his party got almost the entire incoming class arrested over the summer.
                    I'm happy to see Hanson do well, and even happier if they leave him as a centre. When he was signed they tried to make him into a wing and it was awkward. He isn't getting much competition from Kadri--he was billed to be ready to move up to the big stage this year but has not impressed in camp.
                    Lebda is out for some unknown amount of time with an injury, which isn't much of a blow to the team, thankfully.

Comment

Anything GOOD

Comment

Fiddler's Hearth, Nick's Patio (for breakfast), Trio's (kinda dressy and pricey), 5 Guys for good burgers, Polito's Pizza, Rulli's in Middlebury off the bypass.

Originally posted by StillaLeafsFan
                        Lebda is out for some unknown amount of time with an injury, which isn't much of a blow to the team, thankfully.
                        10-14 days.

Comment

On top of the restaurants listed by JJfP (I LOVE Fiddlers), there is Siam Thai, Cambodian Thai, La Esperanza (Mexican), Noodle Alley (Thai-a little further away), Chipotle across from campus (next to Five Guys), Ho Ping House Chinese, Mazatlan for Mexican....that's what's on the top of my head.

Comment

thanks y'all. i let her know (she got in town last night).

Comment

Anything GOOD
                              I'm into diners, drive-ins and dives!

I recall a diner on the east side of N. Michigan near the Interstate that served a pretty good breakfast. Ate there a few times when I was in town.

Comment

Working...
                              X