Clear All

Re: 2010-11 Minnesota Gophers -- May, West Pursue Erie March

http://www.mndaily.com/2010/10/13/mi...t-north-dakota

Here's to an end to the upset streak.
    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
      My guess is no, other than he will try to have one of his first two lines (plus Schleper and/or Seeler) out there at all times. From what I can tell so far the U doesn't have a "designated checking line", but even if there was it would be difficult to keep just one matched up because of the amount of ice time the Lams are sure to get. I think the main thing is to make sure you counter with experienced players who have played with and against them in practice and know their tendencies well.

Whatever the match-ups turn out to be, it sure will be interesting to watch.
      Good point on the ice time. Think the Gophers' depth will likey win out in the end of this match up for now. Looking forward to it tho. Adding another truly competitive team to the WCHA is a benefit to women's hockey. Looks like Coach I is also trying to figure out his lines as they have been varied.

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
        [url]Here's to an end to the upset streak.
        I'll toast to that!
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

My guess is no, other than he will try to have one of his first two lines (plus Schleper and/or Seeler) out there at all times. From what I can tell so far the U doesn't have a "designated checking line", but even if there was it would be difficult to keep just one matched up because of the amount of ice time the Lams are sure to get. I think the main thing is to make sure you counter with experienced players who have played with and against them in practice and know their tendencies well.

Whatever the match-ups turn out to be, it sure will be interesting to watch.
          I would guess he will match the Kortum, Davis and Terry line against the Lams. I think Terry may be a bit of a liability in the defensive zone, but I think Kortum and Davis can pick up the slack. I would be surprised if the first line matches much because they seem to be more of an offensive line.

Now an off topic note, let's keep this board just on Gopher hockey not this other BS.

Comment

Re: Photos from Wayne State game

Series preview from Gophersports:

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArti...CLID=205011643

Obviously, The Sioux will be playing all out for the upset in each contest this weekend, and putting an end to their 28 game(?) losing streak vs. Minnesota. However the Gopher lines are configured this weekend, they'll need to play well in all three zones. Containing the twins is big but I think there's more to beating UND as they have others who can score too. Appears they're getting some solid goaltending. I always feel good about our chances with Raty & Grogan...I think the Gophers will generate enough scoring chances...but I believe they'll definitely need to convert more that show up on the scoreboard than they've managed the last two times out to be successful this weekend. If they can't...it will be trouble.

Thought UND showed some real team speed in the video snippets viewed vs. UMD.

GO GOPHERS!
            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by taz91 View Post
              I would guess he will match the Kortum, Davis and Terry line against the Lams. I think Terry may be a bit of a liability in the defensive zone, but I think Kortum and Davis can pick up the slack. I would be surprised if the first line matches much because they seem to be more of an offensive line.

Now an off topic note, let's keep this board just on Gopher hockey not this other BS.
              At this point and assuming that West will not be available I would say that the two best DEFENSIVE forwards are Erickson and Schoullis.

How and even if that translates into match ups will be revealed Friday and Saturday.
              Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

My guess is no, other than he will try to have one of his first two lines (plus Schleper and/or Seeler) out there at all times.
                It is too early in the year to put too much effort into matching lines. I think he will start out by just rolling his lines, and if an advantage/disadvantage shows up along the way, then he may adjust.
                Originally posted by brookyone
                The series outlook from Grand Forks:

http://www.fightingsiou*****/ViewArt...B_OEM_ID=13500
                The question came up in the interviews regarding what type of reception the twins will receive from the Ridder crowd. My wish would be that the fans give them a nice ovation when they are first introduced. They each gave us a great year when they played here, and they deserve some thanks for that. Would we have rather they played a year in Madison and then transferred to Grand Forks? No. So it isn't like we were horribly wronged here. Their lives, and they can decide how to live them. After that first introduction, then I'll view them the same as Knight, Irwin, Spooner, or any other great player on a team we are trying to beat.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  The question came up in the interviews regarding what type of reception the twins will receive from the Ridder crowd. My wish would be that the fans give them a nice ovation when they are first introduced. They each gave us a great year when they played here, and they deserve some thanks for that.
                  Won't be easy, but I'll be trying my best to be Minnesota Nice. ;-)
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                    The question came up in the interviews regarding what type of reception the twins will receive from the Ridder crowd. My wish would be that the fans give them a nice ovation when they are first introduced.
                    Probably just as well that I'll miss Friday's game, then. I'll be chatting on the live game blog, though, so I'll be keeping up with the game.
                    Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
                    Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
                    Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

I feel I gave them their due appreciation while they played at Minnesota. I'll remain silent as I am during all opponent player introductions...no boo birds, but it's unlikely I'll be giving them an ovation. I wouldn't endorse any expression of contempt from Gopher fans but I'm curious to see if any such expression occurs. I hope not...the twins contributed greatly to the Gopher program while enrolled at the U.
                      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Hey Gopher Fans!

I'm taking in the Sioux/Gophers game tomorrow night and I've never been to Ridder before (I am a Sioux fan, so this is understandable) and I have a somewhat silly question. I know Ridder is a smaller arena than a lot of the arenas I've been to like the X, Mariucci & REA ... and I was wondering if it gets SUPER cold in there like high school arenas and some D3 arenas? I want to know if I need to bring my mittens. I want to be prepared!

Thanks! Looking forward to the game tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by sfo19 View Post
                          Hey Gopher Fans!

I'm taking in the Sioux/Gophers game tomorrow night and I've never been to Ridder before (I am a Sioux fan, so this is understandable) and I have a somewhat silly question. I know Ridder is a smaller arena than a lot of the arenas I've been to like the X, Mariucci & REA ... and I was wondering if it gets SUPER cold in there like high school arenas and some D3 arenas? I want to know if I need to bring my mittens. I want to be prepared!

Thanks! Looking forward to the game tomorrow!
                          In my opinion it doesn't get super cold. My daughter feels the ice is one of the softer ice sheets. But I don't want to be responsible for your fingers. So maybe you should bring your mittens just in case.

Comment

It's quite comfortable at or near the top of the seating areas...or standing at the rail above the seats. Gets pretty cool down near the ice. I'd bring mittens...hands tend to get cold when there are no opportunities for clapping.
                            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Hands tend to get cold here while having too many ice cubs with drinks. Have to avoid that mistake during webcast.
                              It will be 2AM Saturday here when puck drops down.
                              Last edited by Habs; 10-15-2010, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Sure hope No. 19 is OK. You never know the extent of an injury when a player goes heavily, unprotected, into the boards. She's obviously a real key to the D and also adds so much to the O. Not a good sign that she did not return after this happened.
                                Glad to see that she's playing tonight vs. UND. Whew. Not good if she, too, was out for an extended length of time.

Any definitive word on why Noora didn't get the start tonight? (I heard from others that she's not even dressed... )
                                Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
                                Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
                                Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Working...
                                X