Wisconsin Badgers '10-'11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wisconsin Badgers '10-'11

With the start of the season a little over a week away, I figured it was time to start this thread.
    http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/w-ho...092210aaa.html
    The University of Wisconsin women’s hockey team has been picked to finish second in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, according to a preseason poll of league coaches.

Wisconsin earned 43 points and two first place votes in a poll of the eight head coaches in the WCHA. Defending national champions Minnesota Duluth was selected to win the WCHA title, earning 48 points and six first place votes. Minnesota was picked to finish third with 37 points.

Ohio State was selected to finish fourth, followed by North Dakota, Bemidji State, St. Cloud State and Minnesota State.
    Hopefully they are right, last season was a tough one to take. Im hoping the ladies win the WCHA and then roll all the way to their 4th NCAA championship!
    A Badger living in Buckeye country.
    Originally posted by MadCityRich
    He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
    Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
    Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
    Originally posted by Timothy A
    I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
    "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Re: Wisconsin Badgers '10-'11

Red and White Scrimmage is Sunday at 12:30 at the Kohl Center.

Don't believe its open to the public again this year.

Badgers will be minus Haverstock, McKeough, and Deluce who are competing for spots at the Canadian Evaluation camp in Calgary as well as the Kelters who are on the soccer field.

Believe everyone else is healthy and ready to go!
    The WCHA Dynasty
    Wisconsin
    National Championships: 2011,2009,2007,2006; Runners Up: 2012, 2008
    MOP Winners: Bauer (07), Duggan (11), Knight (11), Vetter (06, 09)

Minnesota
    National Championships: 2012, 2005, 2004, 2000 (AWCHA); Runners Up: 2006
    MOP Winners: Darwitz (05), Killewald (00), Raty(12), Wendell (04)

Minnesota-Duluth
    National Championships: 2010, 2008, 2003, 2002, 2001; Runners Up: 2007
    MOP Winners: Blais (10), Martin (08), Ouellette (03), Rooth (01)

Comment

Originally posted by WHKY blogger View Post

It must not be because I havent heard anything about it and its not on the schedule.
      He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
      I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
      "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by WHKY blogger View Post

Badgers will be minus Haverstock, McKeough, and Deluce who are competing for spots at the Canadian Evaluation camp in Calgary as well as the Kelters who are on the soccer field.

Believe everyone else is healthy and ready to go!
        Will our Canadians be back for the season opener? After last year, I'm tired of seeing a depleted roster and not being able to put out the best possible line-up.

Really looking forward to the start of the year. Leadership shouldn't be an issue and they seem loaded with talent.

Anyone have an idea of what the goaltending situation is?

Looks like the men's scrimmage will be next Friday afternoon leading into the women's game and both will have free admission.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
          Will our Canadians be back for the season opener? After last year, I'm tired of seeing a depleted roster and not being able to put out the best possible line-up.

Really looking forward to the start of the year. Leadership shouldn't be an issue and they seem loaded with talent.

Anyone have an idea of what the goaltending situation is?

Looks like the men's scrimmage will be next Friday afternoon leading into the women's game and both will have free admission.
          Canadians will only be gone for this week and possibly a week right after winter break for the U-22 series in Germany. Four Nations is an off week for Bucky and Worlds comes after the season is done. As long as everyone stays healthy the only players missing are the Kelters until soccer is done for the year. With a 25 player roster, Mark should have no problem with dressing all 23 until the Kelters are ready to go, and even at that point it would not surprise me a bit if Alev is the only one who is dressing every game.

Goaltending wise, Alexandra "the Great" Rigsby is expected to get most of the starts. She was drafted and played in camp with the USHL Chicago Steel last season as well as playing for the Milwauakee Jr Admirals AAA boys and also has US U-18 experience. Reports have her a full year ahead of where Jessie Vetter was as a freshman. Becca Ruegsegger should challenge for playing time as we only saw glimpses of her talent with a weakened roster last season.

Men's scrimmage is next Saturday at 4pm prior to the 7pm Women's game vs RPI.
          The WCHA Dynasty
          Wisconsin

Minnesota

Minnesota-Duluth

Comment

Good news -- the new hockey facility is moving forward again.

http://host.madison.com/sports/colle...cc4c002e0.html

Comment

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/w-ho...092810aac.html
              The University of Wisconsin women’s hockey team is ranked No. 5 in both the USCHO.com preseason national poll and the USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine preseason national rankings.

Wisconsin earned 87 points to land at No. 5 in the USCHO.com poll, trailing Minnesota Duluth, Cornell, Mercyhurst and Minnesota in the top four, respectively. The Badgers picked up 115 points in the USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine poll, and UW is the highest-ranked team that ended the 2009-10 season unranked.
              Its looking like it will be an interesting season for the ladies!

Comment

Originally posted by GoBucky36 View Post
                http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/w-ho...092810aac.html

Its looking like it will be an interesting season for the ladies!
                I can't believe they are ranked #5 -- they'll finish higher. (Well actually, I can believe it, because its tough to justify bouncing a team that performed well last year with limited attrition.)

Comment

Originally posted by diddlypoo View Post
                  I can't believe they are ranked #5 -- they'll finish higher.
                  I expect them to finish higher as well. It's a very tough preseason poll. Minnesota made the Frozen Four last year, on paper look to be improved, and they fell to 6th in the USA Today poll. It doesn't take a lot of imagination to come up with a scenario where any of Wisconsin, UMD, Cornell, Mercyhurst, Minnesota, or BU wins the NCAA, and I'm sure that teams like Clarkson, Harvard, and BC will have a good shot as well. Someone is also bound to finish lower than expected, but right now, that isn't easy to predict.
                  "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                  And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                    I expect them to finish higher as well. It's a very tough preseason poll. Minnesota made the Frozen Four last year, on paper look to be improved, and they fell to 6th in the USA Today poll. It doesn't take a lot of imagination to come up with a scenario where any of Wisconsin, UMD, Cornell, Mercyhurst, Minnesota, or BU wins the NCAA, and I'm sure that teams like Clarkson, Harvard, and BC will have a good shot as well. Someone is also bound to finish lower than expected, but right now, that isn't easy to predict.
                    I have them in second and winning the WCHA...IMHO Big Red are the team to beat this year, finally bringing that crown east.

My Poll:

1 - Cornell
                    2 - Wisco
                    3 - UMD
                    4 - Hurst
                    5 - BU
                    6 - Minny
                    7 - Clarky
                    8 - Harvard
                    9 - ND
                    10 - BC

Comment

******* width="640" height="385">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jTwz3eSz594?fs=1&hl=en_US">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jTwz3eSz594?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385">

AND

Nash Talks about RPI: http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/w-ho...092910aab.html
                      The WCHA Dynasty
                      Wisconsin

Minnesota

Minnesota-Duluth

Comment

Was there ever an official announcement about Jakiel's departure from the program? I assume it was related to her injury?

Comment

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/w-ho...-W-Hockey.html
                          The No. 5 Wisconsin women's hockey team opens the 2010-11 season this weekend, hosting Rensselaer Polytechnic at the Kohl Center on Friday and Saturday nights. Puck drop is scheduled for 7 p.m. both games.
                          Friday's game marks the first-ever meeting between UW and RPI in women's hockey. The last time the Badgers faced an ECAC Hockey opponent was when UW defeated Dartmouth, 7-0, in the 2009 NCAA Regional contest. Wisconsin is 18-7-1 all-time against ECAC Hockey teams.
                          Under the direction of head coach John Burke, RPI returns 15 letterwinners from a 2009-10 team that went 16-15-6 overall and tied for fifth in ECAC Hockey with an 11-7-4 league record.

The Engineers return two goaltenders from a year ago, including senior Sonja van der Bliek, who posted a 15-15-5 record with a 1.85 goals against average - which ranked 12th among Division I goalies - last season. In addition to stopping 817 of 884 shots for a .924 save percentage, she recorded 30 or more saves in five games, including two contests with 40+ stops.

Rensselaer returns nine forwards, led by senior captain Kendra Dunlop. She tallied nine goals with 12 assists for 21 points in 2009-10. Dunlop scored a goal and assisted on two others as RPI fell just short of erasing a four-goal deficit in the final period, falling to eventual NCAA runner-up Cornell, 5-4.

RPI has made appearances in three of the last four ECAC Hockey Playoffs and looks to earn the program's first trip to the NCAA Tournament this season.
                          Should be an interesting series, but I think UW wins both games. RPI is a quality team, but IMO the Badgers just have too much depth and too much talent.

Comment

Pretty much an uneventful win for the Badgers to open the season...

Game was over at the :15 second mark when Prevost lit the lamp..

Nice to see Knighter and Duggan in Red again. Becca looks much better than she did as a freshman granted what she was up against..

Thought Mark and Tracey did a good job balancing the talent on the line chart. Maybe would have swapped the Ammermans and Prough for Pacholok once the game was securely out of reach but by that point in was hard to keep track of who was with who for many shifts.

Carolyne Prévost-Brianna Decker-Meghan Duggan
                            Brooke Ammerman-Mallory Deluce-Hilary Knight
                            Brittany Ammerman-Kelly Nash-Breann Frykas
                            Laurel Miller-Maria Evans-Lauren Unser
                            Brittany Haverstock-Geena Prough
                            Stefanie McKeough-Kelly Jaminski
                            Anne Dronen-Saige Pacholok

If these lines stay together then we really stand a chance at wearing down the opposition of even some of the top teams in the league.

Box

UW Recap
                            RPI Recap

Edit: Madison Packer did not play as she is still rehabbing an old injury.
                            Last edited by WHKY blogger; 10-02-2010, 09:05 AM. Reason: Added UW Recap Link...
                            The WCHA Dynasty
                            Wisconsin

Minnesota

Minnesota-Duluth

Comment

Great performance by the ladies last night. They simply outskated, outshot and outplayed RPI.
                              Honestly, I was a little bit concerned that RPI might make a game out of it, but that died about 2 minutes into the game when the Badgers were already up 3-0. All of the scouting reports made it seem like RPI is a good team, but they looked downright horrible against the Badgers.

Comment

Working...
                              X