Wisconsin Badgers '10-'11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers '10-'11

A fantastic weekend for Wisconsin Women's Hockey over the weekend. The comeback win over the Gophers to win the title was one of the most exciting games I've been at in quite a while. Minnesota was more than game for two+ periods, but the Badgers were relentless in their offensive attack and it paid off in the end.

I was pleasantly surprised (if not shocked) when I saw the UW band at the game. It definitely added to the atmosphere of the game and I assume the players appreciated it as they skated over with the trophy to raise it up to the band after the awards ceremony.

I was disappointed with the crowd size which was barely over 1,000. However, the tournament pricing structure couldn't have helped as was getting gouged for nearby ramp parking. Lastly, they (whoever controls the issue) need to re-think the no re-entry policy. After the Wisconsin game on Friday, it would have been nice to go out and get a real dinner and then come back and watch the majority of the Gopher-Bulldog game. Instead, you have to kill at least an hour doing nothing waiting for the second game. By the end of two periods, I had spent enough time at Ridder and just left.

Anyway, I know that there's a lot of comments on the WCHA getting a raw deal in the NCAA pairings. I agree with most of it. The end result of the WCHA tourny was North Dakota getting left out, Minnesota hitting the road and Wisconsin having to host UMD. Not claiming a conspiracy, but it just seems that the NCAA is doing whatever they can do to minimize the number of WCHA teams in the Final Four. Hey, it's not our fault that we own your tournament.

As far as the Badgers having to play UMD, might as well be able to play them on home ice with all the advantages that go with it. At some point, to be the man (or woman), you have to beat the man.

Tickets are now available at $10/$5, which I think is quite reasonable for a NCAA tournament game. Hopefully, the community comes out en mass to support the team on Saturday night.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
      Anyway, I know that there's a lot of comments on the WCHA getting a raw deal in the NCAA pairings. I agree with most of it. The end result of the WCHA tourny was North Dakota getting left out, Minnesota hitting the road and Wisconsin having to host UMD. Not claiming a conspiracy, but it just seems that the NCAA is doing whatever they can do to minimize the number of WCHA teams in the Final Four. Hey, it's not our fault that we own your tournament.

As far as the Badgers having to play UMD, might as well be able to play them on home ice with all the advantages that go with it. At some point, to be the man (or woman), you have to beat the man.
      Still, UW clearly deserved a better fate and bigger reward for the season they had.
      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
        Still, UW clearly deserved a better fate and bigger reward for the season they had.
        Still, this does cause a moral dilemma for you Gopher fans. Do you root for the "evil empire" or the team that you haven't beat since the first outing of the season

Comment

Originally posted by scrambledlegs View Post
          Still, this does cause a moral dilemma for you Gopher fans. Do you root for the "evil empire" or the team that you haven't beat since the first outing of the season
          I'm unable to root for either...although I do have my suspicions regarding an outcome. Right now I just hope the Gophers get to play one of them.
          Minnesota Hockey

Comment

There's no doubt that, as a fan, I'd rather see Wisconsin play Dartmouth than UMD. Similar to 2009, when Dartmouth came to town for a NCAA quarterfinal, I think the Badgers would overwhelm them with talent and the overall environment.

I heard the soundbite from Coach Johnson and he publically wasn't pleased with the pairing. As the overall #1 seed, they should get the lowest seeded team, which simply isn't UMD. Also, throw in the fact that all three WCHA teams are in one bracket, it looks like the NCAA feared another all-WCHA final.

Comment

Originally posted by scrambledlegs View Post
              I'll spend the week worrying about only BC. Once the UM@BC quarterfinal is complete, then I'll be an interested observer in the other games no matter the outcome -- admittedly, a little more interested should the Gophs win. I only root for UMD and UW when it benefits Minnesota if they win (like when Wisconsin played Mercyhurst in January.) The Gophers haven't beaten Wisconsin in the postseason since 2005; the only way to change that is to keep playing them. Maybe we lose, but the whole point of this sport is competition. So I want to play the best team, whomever that may be.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
                I heard the soundbite from Coach Johnson and he publically wasn't pleased with the pairing. As the overall #1 seed, they should get the lowest seeded team, which simply isn't UMD. Also, throw in the fact that all three WCHA teams are in one bracket, it looks like the NCAA feared another all-WCHA final.
                Just watched the press conference linked by ARM in the "Alright....so how do NCAA invitations shake out?" thread. I'm compelled to offer large kudos to Mark Johnson for his unreserved candor on the subject. Glad he doesn't tap dance around the topic as I believe some in his position would. "A kick in the belly" indeed! He's also right on with his stated concern being for the athletes under these circumstances.
                Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Just watched the press conference linked by ARM in the "Alright....so how do NCAA invitations shake out?" thread. I'm compelled to offer large kudos to Mark Johnson for his unreserved candor on the subject. Glad he doesn't tap dance around the topic as I believe some in his position would. "A kick in the belly" indeed! He's also right on with his stated concern being for the athletes under these circumstances.
                  Hopefully the gals aren't down about the matchup and go out there and stomp some dawgettes.

My thoughts are yes, they got screwed, but with only 8 teams in the tourney, there's really no easy draw, unless you are not in UW's bracket. Certainly the dawgettes and rodents are bummed they have to play UW again.

I really love the resiliancy the gals showed last Saturday, down 2 goals in the 3rd on the road playing a very good team, and coming back to win it. If they play their game, they will be fine. The "if" is small indeed.
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                    Certainly the dawgettes and rodents are bummed they have to play UW again.
                    I know the Bulldogs are certainly not bummed. Can't speak for the rodents.

Comment

Originally posted by JosephPSchmoe View Post
                      I know the Bulldogs are certainly not bummed.
                      I predict 4-1 Badgers, and the Bulldogs will be bummed.
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I predict 3-2 Bulldogs and the hockey world will be stunned for some reason.

Comment

Wanted to mention this again from a few years back as I am sure it will be noted as complaints by some in attendance..

An NCAA regional is not a regular UW Home Game. It is essentially suppose to have the same atmosphere as a neutral site game. Here are some tips/notes:
                          - The free parking in Lot 91 for regular games is sold for this game at a cost of $5 (Gotta aid the UW Transportation windfall of cash)
                          - Tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for Students/Youth, your season tickets/passes are not valid. (Thanks NC$$)
                          - Bucky is not allowed on the visiting teams side of the ice during warm ups.
                          - Bucky's Locker Room Store is not open to sell UW Merchandise, Only Frozen Four and NCAA Gear can be sold.
                          - NCAA Regional Programs, if offered have to be sold per NCAA Rules. (They are $5 but once they run out the usual roster cards can be found at the program stands.)
                          - The standard marketing game items (pump up music, videos, intros, video headshots, ads, etc) are not permitted to be used.
                          - The lit ad displays (the ones in the corners on the upper levels) are not allowed to be lit for this game.
                          - The Band (if present) is limited to 25 members and also to the amount of time they can play as the same amount of time is allotted for the visiting team whether or not they bring a band (They almost never have).
                          - The in ice decals and the dasher ads for regular games have to be covered or removed (However, the "Wisconsin Badgers" between the benches and the Kohl Center in ice is ok since its not a promotional ad...)
                          - The Goal horn heard following goals at home games cannot be used.
                          The WCHA Dynasty
                          Wisconsin
                          National Championships: 2011,2009,2007,2006; Runners Up: 2012, 2008
                          MOP Winners: Bauer (07), Duggan (11), Knight (11), Vetter (06, 09)

Minnesota
                          National Championships: 2012, 2005, 2004, 2000 (AWCHA); Runners Up: 2006
                          MOP Winners: Darwitz (05), Killewald (00), Raty(12), Wendell (04)

Minnesota-Duluth
                          National Championships: 2010, 2008, 2003, 2002, 2001; Runners Up: 2007
                          MOP Winners: Blais (10), Martin (08), Ouellette (03), Rooth (01)

Comment

While I'm not doubting any of these points, I wonder why it's considered a neutral site. It would be one thing if Madison was a pre-determined regional location (like it was for the men back a couple of years ago), but it's the top teams that get the home games, so why not get all the benefits?

While I don't have a huge issue with the ticket prices (still cheaper than the WCHA playoffs), the charge for parking is a pure cash grab. I wonder if they'll be charging for the business lots just south of Kohl. Otherwise, I'll park at Davis Duehr like I do for a men's game for free.

Just seems like the NCAA isn't doing women's hockey in general any favors by trying to sanitize the overall environment.

Comment

I've bought in to the concept that the NCAA dictates what is charged for these quarterfinal games. With that said, out of curiousity I checked the prices at the other venues this weekend. BC is charging $6/$3 (adults/kids), Cornell $6/$4 and BU $5/$3. I could have reversed Cornell and BU, but it doesn't really matter. So who really controls the pricing and why are there differences?

Comment

If that happens Granddaddyscout will demand a full investigation.
                                Fire Chiarelli!

Comment

Working...
                                X