Wisconsin Badgers '10-'11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lucdoc View Post
    Anyone have an idea or estimate of how many gopher fans were in the crowd of 10K+?
    Maybe 50 or so.. Kessel had a nice group. Saw some others will Gopher gear that I think were Bozeks family. Some others too that had little kids.
    The WCHA Dynasty
    Wisconsin
    National Championships: 2011,2009,2007,2006; Runners Up: 2012, 2008
    MOP Winners: Bauer (07), Duggan (11), Knight (11), Vetter (06, 09)

Minnesota
    National Championships: 2012, 2005, 2004, 2000 (AWCHA); Runners Up: 2006
    MOP Winners: Darwitz (05), Killewald (00), Raty(12), Wendell (04)

Minnesota-Duluth
    National Championships: 2010, 2008, 2003, 2002, 2001; Runners Up: 2007
    MOP Winners: Blais (10), Martin (08), Ouellette (03), Rooth (01)

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers '10-'11

Originally posted by lucdoc View Post
      Anyone have an idea or estimate of how many gopher fans were in the crowd of 10K+?
      I saw 2 in the area we were sitting. When the rodents scored you did hear them.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Definitely not as many Gopher fans as it is for a men's game.

Overall, a glorious night for Wisconsin womens hockey. Record setting crowd, win over Minnesota and essentially wrapping up the regular season title. I was pleasantly surprised that there had to be several hundred students. That and the band added to the energy of the game, though scoring in the first minute and also having a first period short-hander didn't hurt either.

I think the $1 promotion was only one part of the equation in getting over 10,000. Inexpensive tickets are the norm anyways ($5 adult/$2 student-child-senior) especially if you get season tickets ($30/$15). This was a well-coordinated & promoted effort by the athletic department bolstered by a #1 team (playing a main rival) that is on a major roll right now. With 5 home games left (assuming two in the WCHA playoffs and hosting one NCAA game), I hope that people will give it another shot and get some crowds over the normal (roughly 2,000-2,500).

Unfortunately, I forgot to record the game on the Big Ten Network and I don't see it being replayed any time soon. How was the coverage?

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
          Unfortunately, I forgot to record the game on the Big Ten Network and I don't see it being replayed any time soon. How was the coverage?
          They had technical problems with their feed, primarily in the first period from what I remember -- picture break up that at times got so bad they put up a still shot instead. Burish has done Gopher games in the past, including a Badgers@Gophers last year, and she did better at remaining neutral on those occasions. Maybe being back in the Kohl Center got the competitive juices flowing.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

[ The UMD AD could learn something, but god forbid the program become more popular than him.

agreed the entire administration could learn something, and so could the administration at minn, and for that matter every other school in the nation but if you paid any attention to the work that the UMD AD does on a daily basis, youd know that being AD and being the head coach of a football team that has won 2 natty's in three years, you might see that he has other things on his plate, another thing is that he has an "assistant AD" (karen stromme) that is the director of womens athletics at UMD and personally i have never seen her at a game.

most importantly i think it starts with all the womens and mens teams at a particular school supporting each other, if that started the rest of the students and fans would slowly begin to follow

Comment

Originally posted by ithrewthebroom View Post
              [ The UMD AD could learn something, but god forbid the program become more popular than him.

agreed the entire administration could learn something, and so could the administration at minn,
              What is the administration at Minnesota doing wrong...or doing insufficiently? I ask because over the years Minnesota has tried just about every type of promotion one could think of in the effort to put more fans in the stands. Success has been very limited I'll confess, but not for lack of trying or imagination. They have tried to raise the profile of the program in local print media...which hasn't had a very noticeable affect. I know some think still more could be done in this vein...but with the past failure of those attempts at increasing attendance...I doubt there's much money available for continued print media promotion. It may be a "throwing good money after bad" situation also.

BTW, I'm pretty skeptical the UMD AD is pre-occupied with the women's hockey program popularity versus his own.
              Minnesota Hockey

Comment

It also helps that Madison is a very open-minded, progressive city that is open to supporting womens' sports. Well, that an the fact that the Badgers are an absolutely amazing hockey team.
                A Badger living in Buckeye country.
                Originally posted by MadCityRich
                He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
                Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
                Originally posted by Timothy A
                I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
                "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by GoBucky36 View Post
                  It also helps that Madison is a very open-minded, progressive city that is open to supporting womens' sports.
                  Ah...okay. No offense intended, but I'm not real sure Madison is particularly advanced in those facets, over many other cities with available collegiate women's athletics. I think the fact UW is the big show in town, with little competition from other sports entities is as much a factor as anything else.
                  Last edited by brookyone; 01-31-2011, 08:04 PM.
                  Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                    Ah...okay. No offense intended, but I'm not real sure Madison is particularly advanced in those facets, over many other cities with available collegiate women's athletics. I think the fact UW is the big show in town, with little competition from other sports entities is as much a factor as anything else.
                    Well, no offense in intended either but I live here and I am. Other than maybe Chicago, Madison is as progressive and open-minded as it gets in this part of the country.
                    He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
                    I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
                    "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Comment

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/w-ho...020111aac.html
                      Sophomore Brianna Decker (Dousman, Wis.), senior Meghan Duggan (Danvers, Mass.) and junior Hilary Knight (Sun Valley, Idaho) are among 30 players who have been named to the preliminary roster for the U.S. Women's National Team that will play in the 2011 International Ice Hockey Federation World Women's Championship, USA Hockey announced last week.

The 30 athletes will take part in a selection/training camp in Ann Arbor, Mich., from April 4-12, with the final 21-player roster set to be announced April 9. The camp will take place at the Ann Arbor Ice Cube, home to USA Hockey's National Team Development Program, and will feature two pre-world championship games against Canada on April 7 and 8.

Comment

Well, no offense in intended either but I live here and I am. Other than maybe Chicago, Madison is as progressive and open-minded as it gets in this part of the country.
                        Whatever you say. I'm still skeptical Madison is far more progressive and open minded than other upper midwest cities...considering factors in addition to the acceptance of women's athletics. Does Madison have roller derby?
                        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Drawing a crowd: What the women’s attendance record means for the game

http://www.uscho.com/2011/01/31/draw...-for-the-game/
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                            Whatever you say. I'm still skeptical Madison is far more progressive and open minded than other upper midwest cities...considering factors in addition to the acceptance of women's athletics. Does Madison have roller derby?
                            Be skeptical if you wish, like I said, Ive lived here for 30 years and I know the reality of the situation.
                            http://www.madrollindolls.com/j/
                            Madison has a roller derby league with 9 teams. What else you got?
                            Last edited by GoBucky36; 02-02-2011, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Be skeptical if you wish, like I said, Ive lived here for 30 years and I know the reality of the situation.
                              Madison has a roller derby league with 9 teams.
                              LOL, being able to witness the upcoming "Bout 3" featuring the "Unholy Rollers" vs. the "Vaudeville Vixens" might be worth a special trip! Not to mention live music by "Venus in Furs"...I'm trying to think how we could possibly top all of that progressiveness!
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Madison has a roller derby league with 9 teams. What else you got?
                                Wouldn't one need to be equally familiar with other upper midwest metropolitan areas to make such a declaration?
                                Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X