Women's DIII 2010-2011 Fan Opinion Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Women's DIII 2010-2011 Fan Opinion Poll

Why can't they figure out how to put River Falls 2 first place votes on there? Does it hurt that bad that the two western voters are ranking them #1, that they just can't put it there? I think thats what pucko is getting at. Only 2 of the voters are from the west...and the eastern coaches clearly don't give a rat's patootie about western results.
    UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
    NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
    Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Originally posted by pucko View Post
      I'm going to reiterate until I'm blue in the face. Lake Forest beat UWSP TWICE - both times when they were ranked. Manhattanville has only beaten one ranked team, Elmira, and also has a loss to NEC who is not ranked. Lake Forest has 2 losses to the #2 team in the country and one loss to St. Norbert who is also not ranked. And above all of this, the people who voted this week STILL picked UWSP - who lost twice to the Foresters- above Lake Forest. And somehow, picked St. Thomas over UWSP who they lost to as well. The rankings are ridiculous. Let's let a few east coast coaches decide who they want in the NCAA playoffs and just be done with it.
      if you want to talk about western teams that are getting boned or over looked take a good look at UWS. I think we can all agree that UWRF is the best in the west right now.
      GAC is arguably #2. UWS has a .750 overall winning percentage and have had 7 games against teams that were at .500 or better at the time of the games. They are 3-2-2 against those teams(.571) and are currently tied for 1st place in the NCHA with 16 pts They have a huge matchup against GAC this week.

Comment

Originally posted by nbound View Post
        if you want to talk about western teams that are getting boned or over looked take a good look at UWS. I think we can all agree that UWRF is the best in the west right now.
        GAC is arguably #2. UWS has a .750 overall winning percentage and have had 7 games against teams that were at .500 or better at the time of the games. They are 3-2-2 against those teams(.571) and are currently tied for 1st place in the NCHA with 16 pts They have a huge matchup against GAC this week.
        UWS has a really tough stretch comin up 6 games in the next two weeks all on the road...they get through that with at least 4 wins and I'll be ready to start complaining that they should be in the top 10...until then I don't think they should be there...but then again...after like # 6 up to say #13 is a crapshoot
        UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

I voted Superior 10th in my poll if anyone cares
          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
          GO LAKERS!!!
          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
            I voted Superior 10th in my poll if anyone cares
            haha I saw that!
            UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
              haha I saw that!
              Big game against GAC though. They'll either solidify theirselves in the poll or probably drop out depending on how the game goes.
              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
              GO LAKERS!!!
              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
              Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
                Why can't they figure out how to put River Falls 2 first place votes on there? Does it hurt that bad that the two western voters are ranking them #1, that they just can't put it there? I think thats what pucko is getting at. Only 2 of the voters are from the west...and the eastern coaches clearly don't give a rat's patootie about western results.
                But back to obserbear's point, it sounds more like pucko is thinking that this poll has anything to do with what the NCAA decides at the end of the year. It doesn't. It's the official poll as it stands right now, but stands virtually no bearing once NCAAs come around. Obviously it will have some influence, but the coaches who vote in this poll cannot just "decide" who goes into NCAAs, as pucko insinuated.

Comment

Originally posted by nyi19 View Post
                  But back to obserbear's point, it sounds more like pucko is thinking that this poll has anything to do with what the NCAA decides at the end of the year. It doesn't. It's the official poll as it stands right now, but stands virtually no bearing once NCAAs come around. Obviously it will have some influence, but the coaches who vote in this poll cannot just "decide" who goes into NCAAs, as pucko insinuated.
                  Coaches poll has no influence on who makes the NCAA's. The mysterious NCAA algorithm determines that....and it has a +3 if eastern team -3 if western team calculation included.
                  UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

Sorry about last week everyone, I forgot to update the poll. Anyways, you may want to edit yours depending on what happens tonight. I'll be compiling the poll some time Thursday. Hopefully around 4 or 5 although it could be late Thursday night.
                    RIT

We made the Frozen Four!!!

Follow the RIT Corner Crew on Facebook

Comment

What I'm saying is that the rankings during the year DO matter in the sense that if teams that aren't ranked don't win their conference/conference championship to get the automatic bid, then they have no chance at the wild card. With having all these Eastern teams always ranked (and I'm not disagreeing, I'm just making a point) they can lose to eachother, still stay in the hunt for the NCAA's even if they don't win their conference championship. Basically, with only having 2 western teams in the top 10, if UWRF wins their league (which they will) and if Gustavus wins their league (still up in the air), no other Western team has a shot at any of the Pool A, Z, J, or K because they haven't been ranked all year. Unless I am mistaken, the yearly rankings is how the NCAA comes up with their end of the year rankings. If that's not the case, then someone please tell me why we have weekly rankings at all. So, ergo, Eastern Coaches who weekly rank teams are essentially setting up how the NCAA's will turn out.

Comment

What I'm saying is that the rankings during the year DO matter in the sense that if teams that aren't ranked don't win their conference/conference championship to get the automatic bid, then they have no chance at the wild card. With having all these Eastern teams always ranked (and I'm not disagreeing, I'm just making a point) they can lose to eachother, still stay in the hunt for the NCAA's even if they don't win their conference championship. Basically, with only having 2 western teams in the top 10, if UWRF wins their league (which they will) and if Gustavus wins their league (still up in the air), no other Western team has a shot at any of the Pool A, Z, J, or K because they haven't been ranked all year. Unless I am mistaken, the yearly rankings is how the NCAA comes up with their end of the year rankings. If that's not the case, then someone please tell me why we have weekly rankings at all. So, ergo, Eastern Coaches who weekly rank teams are essentially setting up how the NCAA's will turn out.
                        It is a separate NCAA committee that determines the NCAA field, not the USCHO rankings.

Comment

Originally posted by nyi19 View Post
                          It is a separate NCAA committee that determines the NCAA field, not the USCHO rankings.
                          Right. And the NCAA's never look at the USCHO weekly rankings when making their decisions.

Comment

Right. And the NCAA's never look at the USCHO weekly rankings when making their decisions.
                            I'm not denying that. But it would be irresponsible for them to only look at that in making determinations. There would be no point in having the committee if that were the case. I think you need to have a little bit more faith in the system than that. Tell River Falls to lose in the NCHA finals and your precious west will get 3 bids
                            Last edited by nyi19; 01-12-2011, 01:36 PM.

Comment

THey don't...they have a formula thats laid out. here's the criteria from the Hockey Handbook

Primary Criteria.
                              The primary criteria emphasize regional competition (all contests leading up to NCAA
                              championships); all criteria listed will be evaluated (not listed in priority order).
                              • Win-loss percentage against regional opponents.
                              • Strength-of-schedule (only contests versus regional competition).
                              - Opponents’ Average Winning Percentage (OWP).
                              - Opponents’ Opponents’ Average Winning Percentage (OOWP).
                              • See Appendix H for explanation of OWP and OOWP calculations.
                              • In-region head-to-head competition.
                              • In-region results versus common regional opponents.
                              • In-region results versus regionally ranked teams.
                              the ranked opponents have nothng to do with the USCHO rankings. In mid february the NCAA releases its rankings based on the above criteria. Its not that cut and dry though, as they assign a weighting to each category above, and they don't tell us what that weighting is.
                              UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

If that's not the case, then someone please tell me why we have weekly rankings at all.
                                The same reason every other NCAA sport has a coach's poll that has no bearing whatsoever on playoff seedings. (FCS football excepted.) Have you noticed, for instance, that D-I squeakball rankings do not exactly match the seedings come March Madness time? It's the same in D-I hockey, D-III basketball, and just about every other NCAA sport.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Working...
                                X