Women's DIII 2010-2011 Fan Opinion Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Women's DIII 2010-2011 Fan Opinion Poll

I don't understand that kind of thinking. It's not all about won/loss record. Is it a little unfair that RIT got "first crack" at Amherst? Maybe, but the poll is just a snapshot of the season-to-date. When you have two undefeated teams with very little overlap in common opponents, you either have to toss a coin, or start looking at who has the more impressive wins, or even just which team appears to have played better.

The voters gave Amherst a lot of slack for being the defending champions, so now RIT gets some slack for scheduling (and beating) Amherst early. Everything shakes out in the end.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by spike View Post
      As I recall last year your criticism of Middlebury was that their ties with Plattsburgh, Amherst and Norwich and their OT loss to Elmira weren't "wins", and if you don't win you shouldn't be ranked. Now you are questioning that some of their wins were "close calls"? Either evaluate each game or look at W-L, but please try to at least be consistent.
      i don't understand what your issue is. Do you not consider a 3-2 win over Conn College or 3-1 over Potsdam a close call?
      UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
      NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
      Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
        i don't understand what your issue is. Do you not consider a 3-2 win over Conn College or 3-1 over Potsdam a close call?
        Sorry if you missed my point. I don't know if those were close calls or not. But last year you expressed your opinion that close call ties and close call losses to highly ranked teams were not sufficient to rank Midd. You suggested that wins are what counts. Now you seem to be suggesting that wins aren't good enough if they are close call wins. So my point was either look at W-L or look at how a team wins and loses, but don't waffle back and forth to suit your biases.

Comment

I thought CC was a 4-2 (but perhaps ENG?)
          Anyhow, for "close calls" -- Midd seemed to be outshooting all those opponents by at least double if not triple.
          Wouldn't a "close call" be Norwich-Plattsburgh where I believe Plattsburgh won 4-2 after being outshot 43-17 or something like that? wow...
          based on those numbers (and weighting my personal ranking by shots, not W-L, or close calls) ---- here is my poll (shot like a dribbler from the red line -- COUNT IT!):
          1) RIT
          2) UWRF
          3) Norwich
          4) Amherst
          5) Plattsburgh
          6) Midd
          7) GAC
          8) Trinity
          9) UWSP
          10) Lake Forest
          10)
          "The great State of Vermont will not apologize for its cheese!"
          -- Thank You For Smoking

Comment

Originally posted by Phil D. Stands View Post
            I thought CC was a 4-2 (but perhaps ENG?)
            10)
            collegehockeystats has it at 3-2
            UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
            NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
            Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

collegehockeystats has it at 3-2
              ......and shots 44-26

Comment

Originally posted by Plugger View Post
                ......and shots 44-26
                Phil D. stands corrected once again -- not stupid -- just blithely ignorant.

Conn College -- second game of season at Conn -- you can't just jump on a Camel and expect to ride them -- they're gonna try and spit in your face and step on your foot first -- very awkward beast to control
                "The great State of Vermont will not apologize for its cheese!"
                -- Thank You For Smoking

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                  The voters gave Amherst a lot of slack for being the defending champions, so now RIT gets some slack for scheduling (and beating) Amherst early. Everything shakes out in the end.
                  Powers &8^]
                  I gave Amherst the benefit of the doubt to let them prove they were as good as last year, but once I saw what they were not the same I weighed them based on how they have done so far this season. I still may be generous but we'll have to see.

Plattsburgh is 4-1 against RIT the past two years so I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.
                  RIT

We made the Frozen Four!!!

Follow the RIT Corner Crew on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Mania View Post
                    I gave Amherst the benefit of the doubt to let them prove they were as good as last year, but once I saw what they were not the same I weighed them based on how they have done so far this season. I still may be generous but we'll have to see.

Plattsburgh is 4-1 against RIT the past two years so I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.
                    I won't be quite as quick to downgrade Amherst. They continue to out-shoot opponents (including RIT)which tells me that their offensive prowess is still there. Perhaps the big difference is they are giving up more goals against. I don't think Hu suddenly lost her touch, I think we are seeing the impact of their defensive zone play coming down a notch. I would think they will figure it out and by playoff time I would expect them to be right in the thick of it. I do like the post that credits RIT for having caught Amherst early in the season when they were ranked #1. In theory, if Amherst had been ranked #5 or #6 at the time, maybe RIT would only be ranked #2 or #3. But, because they swept #1, they get to be #1. January 2 will feature Amherst vs. Plattsburgh. If Amherst wins, I think that will solidify RIT's ranking. If Plattsburgh wins, could we possibly be looking at a poll that does not include Amherst?

Comment

Originally posted by spike View Post
                      I won't be quite as quick to downgrade Amherst. They continue to out-shoot opponents (including RIT)which tells me that their offensive prowess is still there. Perhaps the big difference is they are giving up more goals against. I don't think Hu suddenly lost her touch, I think we are seeing the impact of their defensive zone play coming down a notch. I would think they will figure it out and by playoff time I would expect them to be right in the thick of it. I do like the post that credits RIT for having caught Amherst early in the season when they were ranked #1. In theory, if Amherst had been ranked #5 or #6 at the time, maybe RIT would only be ranked #2 or #3. But, because they swept #1, they get to be #1. January 2 will feature Amherst vs. Plattsburgh. If Amherst wins, I think that will solidify RIT's ranking. If Plattsburgh wins, could we possibly be looking at a poll that does not include Amherst?
                      I agree with most of what you say, but I am not so sure I would downgrade Amherst out of the top 10 if they lose their next game. After their warm up weekend against Wesleyan, no other team comes close to having the schedule Amhest has.

Their next 8 games are against top 10 teams. That is an incredibly difficult schedule to start the year out with.

Also, I am sure Amherst does not care where they rank early on, as over the last 2 years they peaked at the end of the season, and showed that they were the best team in the country, and there is no reason to think they won't be there again this year. Time will tell.

Comment

1. RIT
                        2. UWRF
                        3. PLATTY
                        4. Middlebury
                        5. UWSP
                        6. GAC
                        7. ADRIAN
                        8. Holy Cross
                        9. Norwich
                        10. Elmira

Comment

BERRY PATCH TOP 15

1. RIT
                          2. UWRF
                          3. Platty
                          4. Middlebury
                          5. Adrian
                          6. St Mary
                          7. Holy Cross
                          8. UWSP
                          9. GAC
                          10. Trinity
                          11. Elmira
                          12. Bowdoin
                          13. M'ville
                          14. Norwich
                          15. UWS
                          Last edited by nbound; 12-09-2010, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nbound View Post
                            BERRY PATCH TOP 15

1. RIT
                            2. UWRF
                            3. Platty
                            4. Middlebury
                            5. Adrian
                            6. NEC
                            7. St Mary
                            8. Holy Cross
                            9. UWSP
                            10. GAC
                            11. Trinity
                            12. Elmira
                            13. Bowdoin
                            14. M'ville
                            15. Norwich
                            Good to see that EC has made it back into the infamous Berry Patch Poll!

Thought I was going to have to come down there and rearrange somebody's Saskatoon's...

Comment

Originally posted by 5 4 Fighting View Post
                              Good to see that EC has made it back into the infamous Berry Patch Poll!

Thought I was going to have to come down there and rearrange somebody's Saskatoon's...
                              Me Too. EC is having a pretty good season so far this year So far they've played 6 games against teams that have had a .500 record or better at the time the games were played and have won 4 of them. not bad

Comment

Originally posted by nbound View Post
                                Me Too. EC is having a pretty good season so far this year So far they've played 6 games against teams that have had a .500 record or better at the time the games were played and have won 4 of them. not bad
                                ...and the Pilgrims of New England College in 6th?

Comment

Working...
                                X