Girls' hockey depicted in The Town

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girls' hockey depicted in The Town

I saw the film The Town today. There's a scene at the end that is set in a Boys and Girls' Club hockey rink. Both girls and boys are shown playing, and I liked how there was nothing about this that was made to seem unusual. It may be the first time I've ever seen girls play hockey in a major film release. It's a very short scene, and has nothing to do with the rest of the movie, but it was nice to see.

Re: Girls' hockey depicted in The Town

Originally posted by PrincetonFan View Post
    I saw the film The Town today. There's a scene at the end that is set in a Boys and Girls' Club hockey rink. Both girls and boys are shown playing, and I liked how there was nothing about this that was made to seem unusual. It may be the first time I've ever seen girls play hockey in a major film release. It's a very short scene, and has nothing to do with the rest of the movie, but it was nice to see.
    I heard Liz Keady was in it. Haven't seen it yet, though.

Comment

Originally posted by PrincetonFan View Post
      Actually, in Charlestown, East Boston, and other sections around the greater Boston area, girls hockey goes way back. My cousin who is in her mid-fifties (yeah, she'd shoot me for noting her age, but anyway...) used to play on an East Boston club team, 40 years ago. Not so unusual around these parts!
      Toe Blake On goalies: "You get four goals off them, or five, but the goal you've got to have to win, somehow the great ones don't let you get it.”

Comment

Originally posted by IceIsNice View Post
        Actually, in Charlestown, East Boston, and other sections around the greater Boston area, girls hockey goes way back. My cousin who is in her mid-fifties (yeah, she'd shoot me for noting her age, but anyway...) used to play on an East Boston club team, 40 years ago. Not so unusual around these parts!
        McGill had a womens varsity team back in the 20"s. You can see all the old pictures at the McGill arena.

The Brown Varsity team was the first known Female one in the US, and it was from Circa 1965. That is like 45 years ago.

Talk about female athletics in Boston in the mid 60's. Read up on Switzer and Gibb. Both trailblazers in their sport.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
          McGill had a womens varsity team back in the 20"s. You can see all the old pictures at the McGill arena.

The Brown Varsity team was the first known Female one in the US, and it was from Circa 1965. That is like 45 years ago.

Talk about female athletics in Boston in the mid 60's. Read up on Switzer and Gibb. Both trailblazers in their sport.
          There was actually an intercollegiate championship in Canada for women's hockey up until WWII. Apparently after the war some bright bulbs decided that, along with being in the workforce, women didn't belong on the ice playing hockey.

Comment

I also LOVED seeing the girls playing hockey near the end of "The Town." It's great that coed or girls' hockey now is normal and unremarkable, a big change from when I played (1971-73 for Brown, just before it went varsity). Our only road trip during those years was to Montreal to play in an annual winter tournament hosted by McGill. We pretty much got clobbered, but it was awesome to be among the Canadian college teams with their full uniforms and admirable skills.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthBruno View Post
              ........ a big change from when I played (1971-73 for Brown, just before it went varsity).....
              Cool...You are a trailblazer...Today's players should be thanking people like you who helped make the existance of today's NCAA Womens game a reality.

Originally posted by DarthBruno View Post
              ........ . Our only road trip during those years was to Montreal to play in an annual winter tournament hosted by McGill. We pretty much got clobbered, but it was awesome to be among the Canadian college teams with their full uniforms and admirable skills.
              How times have changed. Now most Canadian College teams are in awe of their US counterparts.

Comment

The only time I've seen women play hockey onscreen was in "Malcolm in the Middle" when Francis' logging camp had a grudge match with a local women's team. The women were beautiful but toothless and destroyed the loggers as I recall.

Comment

Originally posted by IceIsNice View Post
                  Must've been the Massport Jets. Here's an article from Time Magazine from before most of you were born:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...917145,00.html
                  Last edited by lah02476; 09-22-2010, 04:40 PM.
                  Boston College Eagles
                  NCAA Champions
                  1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Bentley University Falcons

Comment

Originally posted by lah02476 View Post
                    Must've been the Massport Jets. Here's an article from Time Magazine from before most of you were born:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...917145,00.html
                    We have the actual cartoon referenced in the opening paragraph on our fridge at home. It goes onto have Snoopy asking the coach what position he wants Snoopy to play finishing with a frame showing Snooping cowering behind the goal with the balloon caption of "Goalie?"

Charles Shultz loved the game.

Comment

Originally posted by capitalist View Post
                      The only time I've seen women play hockey onscreen was in "Malcolm in the Middle" when Francis' logging camp had a grudge match with a local women's team. The women were beautiful but toothless and destroyed the loggers as I recall.
                      They had a most unfortunate inclusion of women playing in an episode of Hawthorn last year. I say unfortunate, because they depicted the sport, as Hollywood is want, in Slapshot form replete with blatant hacking and fisticuffs.

Comment

The women were beautiful but toothless...
                        For some reason I'm having a hard time putting these two characteristics together.
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                          I say unfortunate, because they depicted the sport, as Hollywood is want, in Slapshot form replete with blatant hacking and fisticuffs.
                          Sounds alot like DC's summer hockey league.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                            For some reason I'm having a hard time putting these two characteristics together.
                            Well, try this....one of them was Heidi Klum. The loggers were 'wowed' by her while she skated around without her helmet. Then she smiled at them and revealed the missing front teeth. Later she beat them, as per Hollywood, bloody.

Comment

There were at least two episodes of the show Army Wives where one of the main characters is a goalie and they talk about her playing in college, being recruited, etc. and also they show her on the ice twice. This is actually a real example of art imitating life. This according to my wife and daugther because I have never watched a show on Lifetime (hmm, hmm).

Back to football....

Comment

Working...
                              X