Smaller Schools......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smaller Schools......

Lets talk about some smaller schools that might benefit as nonconference team(S) IF a BTHC were to exist.

Maybe some positive ideas of realignment can come into play and of course all the pros and cons.

Re: Smaller Schools......

Benefit? I don't think any of the smaller CCHA or WCHA programs would benefit from marquee members leaving their conference.

Comment

Originally posted by SportsTalk51 View Post
      Benefit? I don't think any of the smaller CCHA or WCHA programs would benefit from marquee members leaving their conference.
      It'd be more about the death of such schools.

SCSU is cutting football because of budget cuts. Now take away the revenue from MN and WI. Do the math.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

None of them would. If the LSSU's, Ferris's and Western's of the College Hockey world fold up shop, other schools like GVSU really wouldn't have a place to go to if they decide that they wanted to jump into the College hockey pool. Keeping those schools around will be the best way to encourage the growth of college hockey as a whole.
        bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by cycledown View Post
          Lets talk about some smaller schools that might benefit as nonconference team(S) IF a BTHC were to exist.

Maybe some positive ideas of realignment can come into play and of course all the pros and cons.
          you first... why do I get the feeling this is a round of "kneel before Zod"
          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
          Skating Friar Jersey
          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Smaller schools in Hockey East and the ECAC would benefit from more bids going East since a third of the teams in the west would be folding?
            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

First, I agree with other posters, the small schools, especially those located at a distance from others are well and truly boned by a BTHC taking all the big 10 schools away.

But lets play with this idea for a moment:

Schools like Nebraska-Omaha have the arena capacity and the ease of access to attract visiting team fans. They have a good crowd of local supporters and then the "big game" fans who come and go. They could hang on if the other schools held on and the games stayed interesting.

Air connections to games with Hockey East and other remaining teams, as well as the Alaska teams would really eat into our budget, and any team that didn't have that budget would be unable to continue.

We could end up with the Non-Gopher Minnesota schools, UND, and Omaha joining up with DU, Colorado College, and Air Force to form a bus league. Given that UNO has played all of these teams and had good crowds for each, UNO could survive, but not thrive. UND and Duluth would hate life (unless Duluth went in with the other Great Lakes schools.)

The Great Lakes schools (LSSU, NMU, Ferris State) would have to either join that bus league or form their own with schools like ND.

UAH would still be out due to travel as would the Alaska schools.

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                you first... why do I get the feeling this is a round of "kneel before Zod"

You get those feelings because of how YOU think...another words your mentality. I have quite of few neg. reps and Im sure they are not based on a ZOD definiton....Back to the coversation.

Comment

Originally posted by BRM View Post
                  First, I agree with other posters, the small schools, especially those located at a distance from others are well and truly boned by a BTHC taking all the big 10 schools away.

But lets play with this idea for a moment:

Schools like Nebraska-Omaha have the arena capacity and the ease of access to attract visiting team fans. They have a good crowd of local supporters and then the "big game" fans who come and go. They could hang on if the other schools held on and the games stayed interesting.

Air connections to games with Hockey East and other remaining teams, as well as the Alaska teams would really eat into our budget, and any team that didn't have that budget would be unable to continue.

We could end up with the Non-Gopher Minnesota schools, UND, and Omaha joining up with DU, Colorado College, and Air Force to form a bus league. Given that UNO has played all of these teams and had good crowds for each, UNO could survive, but not thrive. UND and Duluth would hate life (unless Duluth went in with the other Great Lakes schools.)

The Great Lakes schools (LSSU, NMU, Ferris State) would have to either join that bus league or form their own with schools like ND.

UAH would still be out due to travel as would the Alaska schools.
                  But if those schools/teams are winning doesnt that create extra revenue from the postseason?

Comment

Grand Forks is 15 hours and 15 minutes from Colorado Springs. How exactly is that a bus league?
                    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

If the conference remains at six members it could benefit smaller schools by opening up more non conference games.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefWahoo View Post
                        If the conference remains at six members it could benefit smaller schools by opening up more non conference games.

HOLD ON!!! NOw the Chief has an idea.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefWahoo View Post
                          Going from having an even split of home and away conference games with area BT schools to a 3 or 4 for 1 contract split because Big Ten AD's are used to playing 80% of their nonconference games at home is not a benefit.
                          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                            Going from having an even split of home and away conference games with area BT schools to a 3 or 4 for 1 contract split because Big Ten AD's are used to playing 80% of their nonconference games at home is not a benefit.

Ok so why couldnt the BT teams play that extra game at the home site of a nonconference school?

Comment

Originally posted by cycledown View Post
                              Ok so why couldnt the BT teams play that extra game at the home site of a nonconference school?
                              When's the last time Michigan, or Ohio State, or any other Big Ten school visits one of the 1-AA football teams they beat up on? Big 10 schools have a lot of power here, and a lot of money.

Now, I could see the Big 10 schools offering money for smaller schools to visit them, and that might help keep them afloat. But the small schools would need to schedule a number of these big draw schools to make a dent in their budget.

Comment

Working...
                              X