Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ferris State Hockey '10-11-Or how I learned to stop worrying and love the penalty box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ferris State Hockey '10-11-Or how I learned to stop worrying and love the penalty box

Originally posted by jyoung View Post
    That really depends on what you want to eat and how much you want to pay for it. It also depends on what you consider close. Huntsville isn't big, about 400,000 metro over 2 counties, and it takes about 15 to 20 minutes to get just about anywhere in the city limiits during non-rush hour from the VBC.

Do you want a unique restaurant? Honestly most of the local places that are worth eating at are chains. There are a few gems hidden around, Geoff mentioned the nearest reasonable one already, and a few smaller local/regional chains such as Dreamland which are popular.

Near the arena, since it's downtown, there's not a whole lot and much of the fare is pricier than average. That's where Ruth Chris, Cotton Row, and 801 Franklin are, but are expensive relative to other options. More unique choices, but you're going to pay for them. I tend not to eat in that area much due to the prices.

If you're looking for a bit farther away, much of the food is on University Drive, or down along the Airport Road / Carl T. Jones area, and farther out is Bridgestreet Town Center.

University has a lot of options, but almost all chains and mostly fastfood. Romano's, TGI Fridays, Olive Garden, and Shogun are up this way along with Longhorn and Lone Star. The only relatively close to unique things I can think of is Cheddar's Cafe and Mikawa. I haven't tried Cheddar's but my friend didn't think much of it when he went. There are a number of Chinse Buffets along this stretch of road and a few Mexican places.

Generally I've had better luck towards Airport Road/Carl T. Jones than along University Drive, and it's about ten minutes to get to the various places down there which include the normal spate of Chili's, Ruby Tuesdays, Longhorn, Logan's, Bonefish, Outback, Cheeburger Cheeburger, Red Robin, Five Guys, and a couple others. There's also Cafe Berlin (German, mid price). Though they're still listed on Google, Luciano's (Italian) and Chef's Table (Tappas) I believe are now both out of business (again...). Plus side of this end of town is that the best ice cream is down here, as the Cold Stone and Brewster's are both off of Carl T. Jones.

Bridgestreet has a number of options and is the newest local development. It's farthest away though off of Research Park and Old Madison Pike, but includes Connors (pricy surf and turf), and a number of other meal options as well as shopping, etc. Nothing special, but it's where a lot of people will tell you to spend time (and money). I don't care for the feel much, but that's me.

Rosie's Mexican Cantina is popular among a lot of my friends, but it's along Memorial about fifteen minutes from the VBC, down south of Martin Road. There's a "Little Rosie's" near Airport and Whitesburg, but it doesn't have the same quality.

There are LOTS of various Barbecue joints around as everyone and their brother has a 'secret reciepe' down here. Depending on whom you ask, you'll get different opinions as to what people think is best. I tend to eat at Gibson's on Memorial Parkway, but my wife doesn't like spicy.

If you like oriental, there are a number of places. I've yet to find a Chinese place I like, but I got spoiled living in So. Cal. We do have a couple decent Japanese places and at least one or two Thai.

Delivery, for the tired, includes Steak Out, a number of Chinese places, and the inevitable pizza.

If you want subs (for the lunch crowd) Stanlio's is well regarded locally (there's one on Jordan Lane), but for my money the best available quick subs are made in the Publix (grocery chain) Deli Counter. They're certainly better than anything you're going to get at the local Subways.

Breakfast you're mostly on your own. The Huntsville Cracker Barrel has a pretty poor reputation, as does the nearby IHOP (bummer). There aren't really many other 'morning' spots and no Dunkin Donuts. You can get Krispy Kreme donuts, but I find them unpalatably sweet. Your best bet if you want something breakfasty is Atlanta Bread Company (University), Panara's (Airport), B&N Cafe (Carl T. Jones & Bridgestreet), etc.

Heads up: Things, including delivery, don't stay open late around here. I know a few places open until midnight, but the bulk of places will not be so generous. Where I could still get a Pizza at 2 AM in LA, that isn't the case locally, so I suggest that if you didn't eat before the game, head out immediately after rather than waiting. Some places close as early as 9, while the bulk, partiuclarly on Friday tend towards about 11 PM.
    Quite a breakdown, but I missed any mention of any Waffle Houses? There aren't any Waffle Houses in Michigan, to my knowledge anyway. Drove to Florida and back once and was amazed at the volume of Waffle Houses once you hit southern Indiana, and especially in the South. They're as frequent as McDonald's. By the way, stopped at a Waffle House in Birmingham on the way back and saw the biggest cockroach in the bathroom I've ever seen. It was clear he wasn't the least bit concerned or scared of my presence.

Comment

Re: Ferris State Hockey '10-11-Or how I learned to stop worrying and love the penalty box

Originally posted by SportsTalk51 View Post
      Quite a breakdown, but I missed any mention of any Waffle Houses? There aren't any Waffle Houses in Michigan, to my knowledge anyway. Drove to Florida and back once and was amazed at the volume of Waffle Houses once you hit southern Indiana, and especially in the South. They're as frequent as McDonald's. By the way, stopped at a Waffle House in Birmingham on the way back and saw the biggest cockroach in the bathroom I've ever seen. It was clear he wasn't the least bit concerned or scared of my presence.
      I'm notorious for giving detail. You can blame either my personality or my profession of choice, or both. My family refers to my travel plans as "storming the beaches of Normandy" because of how meticulous I am about covering every contingency.

But you're right, there are a lot of Waffle Houses, and even a Denny's. You're on your own if you want to risk eating at those establishments, I've got to be pretty put out for a set of hash browns to want to risk it (that or it's 3 AM). I kind of lump them in with fast food, neither good for you, nor very filling.. Though if you drive about forty-five minutes south of here, in Guntersville, there's the best Huddle House in the nation, or at least it used to be.

Comment

I'm notorious for giving detail. You can blame either my personality or my profession of choice, or both. My family refers to my travel plans as "storming the beaches of Normandy" because of how meticulous I am about covering every contingency.

But you're right, there are a lot of Waffle Houses, and even a Denny's. You're on your own if you want to risk eating at those establishments, I've got to be pretty put out for a set of hash browns to want to risk it (that or it's 3 AM). I kind of lump them in with fast food, neither good for you, nor very filling.. Though if you drive about forty-five minutes south of here, in Guntersville, there's the best Huddle House in the nation, or at least it used to be.
        Thanks, jy. Obviously I wasn't suggesting anyone eat at a Waffle House. I was just absolutely amazed in the multitude of Waffle Houses in the South.

I won't be making the trip, but I'm sure anyone who will is thankful for the suggestions. Should be a fun time. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SportsTalk51 View Post
          was it big enough that a squirrel could have put a saddle on it??

Its offical, FSU football is now on a winning Streak.
          bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

But you're right, there are a lot of Waffle Houses, and even a Denny's. You're on your own if you want to risk eating at those establishments, I've got to be pretty put out for a set of hash browns to want to risk it (that or it's 3 AM).
            ******* width="480" height="385">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vBwYfvJXdH0?fs=1&hl=en_US">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vBwYfvJXdH0?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">

Fast forward to the 0:27 mark. The first part's a little rough, and definitely NSFW.
            Last edited by Hammer; 09-26-2010, 11:48 AM.
            FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Athletics Communication Director Joe Gorby is writing a "Countdown to Faceoff" series this week showcasing the Defense, Offense, Goalies, and Special Teams. Here is his first installment:

http://www.ferrisstatebulldogs.com/s...downdefensemen

Comment

Just looking at a few bios, 2 stood out as Freshmen Corey Kane put up pretty good numbers in the BCHL and Defensemen Scott Czarnowczan from the USHL. Just wondering a few opinions on them?

Comment

Hey Guys,

Below is the Ferris State Hockey 2010-2011 Television Schedule:

Ferris,State,Hockey,2010,2011,Television,Schedule,  TV,NCAA,College,University

I don't have official confirmation on the Minnesota game, so don't quote me on it...BUT all their games are televised on FSN North or FSN Minnesota. The last couple years (One vs. BGSU last year), their tournament games have been on FSN North at 7:07pm Central, which is 8:07pm Eastern. So we'll see.

Edit on the 12/5 game, should be 11/5

Enjoy!
                  Last edited by DominicHennig; 09-28-2010, 10:56 AM.

Comment

At 6-3 and 190, that's nice size out of Kane. We've got another big guy in Andy Huff, at 6-2 and 210. Let's hope they can move that size at the D-1 level.
                    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by DominicHennig View Post
                      Nice post Hammer. I thought I'd add a few updates for the upcoming season:

- Video Webcasts:
                      All of Ferris State Hockey's home games will be video streamed on America One. I believe everything is the same, but America One just bought out B2 Networks. http://www.b2livetv.com/partner_memb...ckey%20Men%27s

- Audio Webcasts:
                      I am pretty sure all away games will be audio streamed live for free on our website, or at http://161.57.5.17/ramgen/broadcast/test.rm. (Must have RealPlayer installed to listen)

- Radio Broadcasts:
                      The Ferris State Hockey games have switched from all being on Big Country 100.9fm WWBR last season, to the majority being on News Talk 107.7fm and 1460am WBRN. Some will switch to Big Country in the case of a scheduling conflict.

- Season Tickets:
                      Just an update here, we passed the number of student season tickets sold last year this past Monday, September 13th. Almost one month before the first home game. So we are doing well on that.

- Dave Cencer is back as the Bulldogs' new strength and conditioning coach along with video coordinator. Cencer served four seasons (2005-09) as Ferris State's director of hockey operations and the team's video coordinator prior to his departure from FSU early last summer. Cencer spent the 2009-10 campaign with the American Hockey League's (AHL) Rockford (Ill.) IceHogs in a video coach position after accepting a position with the organization in June 2009. Rockford is an affiliate of the 2010 Stanley Cup Champion Chicago Blackhawks of the National Hockey League (NHL).

- The Student section (Dawg Pound) jerseys have switched from (In my time with Ferris) Yellow, Red, White, White, and are now BLACK this year

- Social Media:
                      Ferris State Hockey Student Section Group on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...id=71845055460

Ferris State Athletics on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/ferrisathletics?ref=ts

Ferris State Hockey on Twitter: http://twitter.com/FerrisHockey

Ferris State Athletics on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ferrisathletics

Tatango Text Message Updates: Text the word "Bulldogs" to 68398 to receive periodic text message updates.

Radio Booth E-Mail Address: SportsRadio@Ferris.edu

- Promotional Items so far for Ferris State Hockey

--- Radio Commercial during the entire month of September on the below stations:
                      100.9fm - Big Country WWBR
                      102.3fm - Today's Best Hits WYBR
                      107.7fm - News Talk WBRN
                      1460am - News Talk WBRN

--- Website Release.

--- Yard signs in front of most dorm entrances on welcome weekend for parents to see. ***********

--- Yard Signs in front of every entrance to all main class buildings on campus during school hours so all students will see. (Above)

--- Table Flyers at The Rock Cafeteria, Westview Cafeteria, and Quiznos on Campus:

and

--- Announcements over PA Systems at big campus events
                      --- Flyers in dorms and around campus
                      --- Newspaper Ads
                      --- Facebook message to 1,500+ students on multiple occasions.
                      --- Mass text messages
                      --- Release on Ferris Hockey Twitter.

Cool picture of our rink I found over the summer:

Still much more to come. I can't think of everything right now, I'll add more later.
                      I don't care if you DO give them all free jerseys...do you REALLY think it's politically correct to assign the black students to their own section?

My prediction has Big Rapids Industrial School finishing just below Bowling Green Normal School. Let the flamefest begin!
                      Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

Really got to commend the FSU moving the Saturday start times to 7 pm. Now if one was so inclined, one could show up on October 23, to tailgate before the football game with GVSU at 2 pm, watch the football game, then go tailgate some more right before the Bulldogs take on the Buckeyes at 7 pm.

You could do the same thing on November 6 when MTU football, Miami Hockey come to town as well.
                        bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Anyone know anything about our third string goalie, Rob Granett? Had good junior numbers, but I'm not familiar with that Junior A league at all. Is he possibly our future after Nagle/Nelson, or is he more of a career 3rd stringer like Barber?

Comment

Originally posted by hockeytown100 View Post
                            Anyone know anything about our third string goalie, Rob Granett? Had good junior numbers, but I'm not familiar with that Junior A league at all. Is he possibly our future after Nagle/Nelson, or is he more of a career 3rd stringer like Barber?
                            He played in the NPHL also known as the NORPAC with the Yellowstone Quake, other teams in that league are Helena, Bozeman, and Billings. Its a Tier 3 Jr. A league so basically a Jr. B league which pumps out alot of Div 3 players while most guys will move up to higher Jr. Levels if not aged out. All this considered I would say its more likely that he will be another Jordan Barber.

Comment

Originally posted by ShootSnipeScore View Post
                              He played in the NPHL also known as the NORPAC with the Yellowstone Quake, other teams in that league are Helena, Bozeman, and Billings. Its a Tier 3 Jr. A league so basically a Jr. B league which pumps out alot of Div 3 players while most guys will move up to higher Jr. Levels if not aged out. All this considered I would say its more likely that he will be another Jordan Barber.
                              Thanks for the info! Had to no clue about that Jr. A league so I was kind of expecting that.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeytown100 View Post
                                Thanks for the info! Had to no clue about that Jr. A league so I was kind of expecting that.
                                They do compete vs the Ej teams though at Nationals and in years past have done somewhat well, but compared to the real Jr. A leagues in the States such as the NA and USHL not comparable, however looking over some information i guess a few years back the Norpac all star team did beat Wenatchee, so i guess its either hit or miss.

Comment

Working...
                                X