Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ferris State Hockey '10-11-Or how I learned to stop worrying and love the penalty box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ferris State Hockey '10-11-Or how I learned to stop worrying and love the penalty box

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
    Yeah, wisconsin maybe. But never Minnesota! Given that the CCHA would have 4 big ten schools plus Norte Dame, that might be a tempting place to be for the mad little dictator in Madison. Get UAH to balance the numbers out, and then somehow split the league into divisions that would have the five big tens, ND and perhaps Miami or just rotate the MACs on side, and have all of the D2 schools on the other side. Only way you could sell that to the D2's is if they wouldn't meet any of the schools from the Have division in the ccha playoffs until the championship game.
    If the Big Ten wants Minnesota and Wisconsin in the CCHA, then that's what will happen. I don't think that it will go that way anyway. There will be a Big Ten conference first.

The Big Ten wants its teams playing each other and will make sure they are one way or another. I don't care how strong Minnesota's ties to the WCHA are.

Comment

Re: Ferris State Hockey '10-11-Or how I learned to stop worrying and love the penalty box

Got these at the front entrances of the dorms on campus now:

Any more suggestions?

Comment

I would have put on there that both Michgan and Michigan State are coming in twice this year.
        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Funny thing is - I "markered" that in there hahaha

I got it right on the table flyers for the cafeterias though

Comment

Originally posted by SportsTalk51 View Post
            If the Big Ten wants Minnesota and Wisconsin in the CCHA, then that's what will happen. I don't think that it will go that way anyway. There will be a Big Ten conference first.

The Big Ten wants its teams playing each other and will make sure they are one way or another. I don't care how strong Minnesota's ties to the WCHA are.
            Yeah, that Wisconsin thing was all pie in the sky thinking there. Still more likely they just form their own league.
            bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

As Geof said, we're looking forward to seeing your team down this way come opening weekend in October, and we're mighty glad that your AD and ours came to that agreement.

Any chance you'll get to send some folks down? Students, Alumni, et. al.? If any of you are dropping in for the UAH game, let some of the locals know and we'll give you some pointers for decent food, beer, and what passes for entertainment around here.

Maybe by game day the weather will remember that it's supposed to be fall and our barn will be fully renovated for the game. (It was 98 degrees today and my seats weren't even installed as of two weeks ago.)

Comment

I was seriously considering the trip (not much different than driving to Minny for the Christmas tourny), as I know you folks will show the Ferris visitors a good time, then they went and scheduled the games on Thursday - Friday, instead of the usual Friday - Saturday dates.

Not sure of the reasoning, but, come on coaches, think of the fans, too!

Comment

Originally posted by jyoung View Post
                  As Geof said, we're looking forward to seeing your team down this way come opening weekend in October, and we're mighty glad that your AD and ours came to that agreement.

Any chance you'll get to send some folks down? Students, Alumni, et. al.? If any of you are dropping in for the UAH game, let some of the locals know and we'll give you some pointers for decent food, beer, and what passes for entertainment around here.

Maybe by game day the weather will remember that it's supposed to be fall and our barn will be fully renovated for the game. (It was 98 degrees today and my seats weren't even installed as of two weeks ago.)

Hey jyoung - What are some good places for food down there. Depending on how the day goes, I either eat with the team or on my own. Any recommendations close to the rink as I'm guessing we're staying in a hotel close to it?

Comment

QUICK, UNRELATED POINT OF HOUSEKEEPING HERE!!!

Some of you that I have sent emails to in the past may be getting an email from me, dated today. It did not come from me. I have not sent anyone email today. I received this email from someone else, and opened it to find a link that took me to an....um.....online prescription site. I've been spammed, and if it goes through the rest of my Inbox and finds its way to you, I apologize. It is unintended.

Please delete the email without opening it. I apologize again for the inconvenience.

I am posting this in multiple places on purpose.
                    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by DominicHennig View Post
                      Hey jyoung - What are some good places for food down there. Depending on how the day goes, I either eat with the team or on my own. Any recommendations close to the rink as I'm guessing we're staying in a hotel close to it?
                      Down by the rink ... hmmm, not a lot of great non-chain choices, but if you're willing to head up California Street from downtown, there's a couple Huntsville classics. My favorite would be PoBoy Factory, which really isn't N'Awlins but is still pretty darn good.

Unfortunately, Huntsville doesn't have a lot of great home-grown food.

GFM <-- kinda sad that the sign in the FSU dorms doesn't have the barnstorming Chargers on it
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by DominicHennig View Post
                        That really depends on what you want to eat and how much you want to pay for it. It also depends on what you consider close. Huntsville isn't big, about 400,000 metro over 2 counties, and it takes about 15 to 20 minutes to get just about anywhere in the city limiits during non-rush hour from the VBC.

Do you want a unique restaurant? Honestly most of the local places that are worth eating at are chains. There are a few gems hidden around, Geoff mentioned the nearest reasonable one already, and a few smaller local/regional chains such as Dreamland which are popular.

Near the arena, since it's downtown, there's not a whole lot and much of the fare is pricier than average. That's where Ruth Chris, Cotton Row, and 801 Franklin are, but are expensive relative to other options. More unique choices, but you're going to pay for them. I tend not to eat in that area much due to the prices.

If you're looking for a bit farther away, much of the food is on University Drive, or down along the Airport Road / Carl T. Jones area, and farther out is Bridgestreet Town Center.

University has a lot of options, but almost all chains and mostly fastfood. Romano's, TGI Fridays, Olive Garden, and Shogun are up this way along with Longhorn and Lone Star. The only relatively close to unique things I can think of is Cheddar's Cafe and Mikawa. I haven't tried Cheddar's but my friend didn't think much of it when he went. There are a number of Chinse Buffets along this stretch of road and a few Mexican places.

Generally I've had better luck towards Airport Road/Carl T. Jones than along University Drive, and it's about ten minutes to get to the various places down there which include the normal spate of Chili's, Ruby Tuesdays, Longhorn, Logan's, Bonefish, Outback, Cheeburger Cheeburger, Red Robin, Five Guys, and a couple others. There's also Cafe Berlin (German, mid price). Though they're still listed on Google, Luciano's (Italian) and Chef's Table (Tappas) I believe are now both out of business (again...). Plus side of this end of town is that the best ice cream is down here, as the Cold Stone and Brewster's are both off of Carl T. Jones.

Bridgestreet has a number of options and is the newest local development. It's farthest away though off of Research Park and Old Madison Pike, but includes Connors (pricy surf and turf), and a number of other meal options as well as shopping, etc. Nothing special, but it's where a lot of people will tell you to spend time (and money). I don't care for the feel much, but that's me.

Rosie's Mexican Cantina is popular among a lot of my friends, but it's along Memorial about fifteen minutes from the VBC, down south of Martin Road. There's a "Little Rosie's" near Airport and Whitesburg, but it doesn't have the same quality.

There are LOTS of various Barbecue joints around as everyone and their brother has a 'secret reciepe' down here. Depending on whom you ask, you'll get different opinions as to what people think is best. I tend to eat at Gibson's on Memorial Parkway, but my wife doesn't like spicy.

If you like oriental, there are a number of places. I've yet to find a Chinese place I like, but I got spoiled living in So. Cal. We do have a couple decent Japanese places and at least one or two Thai.

Delivery, for the tired, includes Steak Out, a number of Chinese places, and the inevitable pizza.

If you want subs (for the lunch crowd) Stanlio's is well regarded locally (there's one on Jordan Lane), but for my money the best available quick subs are made in the Publix (grocery chain) Deli Counter. They're certainly better than anything you're going to get at the local Subways.

Breakfast you're mostly on your own. The Huntsville Cracker Barrel has a pretty poor reputation, as does the nearby IHOP (bummer). There aren't really many other 'morning' spots and no Dunkin Donuts. You can get Krispy Kreme donuts, but I find them unpalatably sweet. Your best bet if you want something breakfasty is Atlanta Bread Company (University), Panara's (Airport), B&N Cafe (Carl T. Jones & Bridgestreet), etc.

Heads up: Things, including delivery, don't stay open late around here. I know a few places open until midnight, but the bulk of places will not be so generous. Where I could still get a Pizza at 2 AM in LA, that isn't the case locally, so I suggest that if you didn't eat before the game, head out immediately after rather than waiting. Some places close as early as 9, while the bulk, partiuclarly on Friday tend towards about 11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jyoung View Post
                          Rosie's Mexican Cantina is popular among a lot of my friends, but it's along Memorial about fifteen minutes from the VBC, down south of Martin Road. There's a "Little Rosie's" near Airport and Whitesburg, but it doesn't have the same quality.
                          There's also a Rosie's location far west on University Drive, but the better thing there is the Phil Sandoval's location on the south side of the road, across from the huge-*** Wal*Mart. Phil's is the best Tex-Mex[1] in this area, by far, and I will fight you if you disagree.

GFM

[1] I actually am not a huge fan of Tex-Mex, as I prefer authentic Mexican as I lived in San Antonio for four years and learned to like the real stuff. There are a couple good authentic places in town, but they're holes in the wall.
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                            There's also a Rosie's location far west on University Drive, but the better thing there is the Phil Sandoval's location on the south side of the road, across from the huge-*** Wal*Mart. Phil's is the best Tex-Mex[1] in this area, by far, and I will fight you if you disagree.

GFM

[1] I actually am not a huge fan of Tex-Mex, as I prefer authentic Mexican as I lived in San Antonio for four years and learned to like the real stuff. There are a couple good authentic places in town, but they're holes in the wall.
                            I'd forgotten about the newer University Drive Rosie's location, but as far as Phil's? I've never tried it so I don't know how they compare. As stated, my wife dislikes spice and that generally means I get Mexican (or Tex-Mex as the case may be) about once a year.

I'll agree with preferring real Mexican over Tex-Mex but again, that's the time spent in Los Angeles, but half the places I like there it's a game of bad attempts at Spanish coupled with pointing at the menu.

Comment

Hey Guys,

Spent 3 1/2 - 4 hours just editing this video today. It is my first one though, so hopefully I'll increase my time.

It's a video feature on the Ferris State Hockey Team - 9/25/10:

******* width="640" height="385">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/icrsDA80x-0?fs=1&hl=en_US">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/icrsDA80x-0?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385">

Dom

Comment

Nice video, and graphics well done.

Comment

Working...
                                X