Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ferris State Hockey '10-11-Or how I learned to stop worrying and love the penalty box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ferris State Hockey '10-11-Or how I learned to stop worrying and love the penalty

We have the cops, Kevin, and the two who sit staring at everyone.

No one wants to take a stand, of course. Two or three years ago, everyone sat quietly for a period, and it did get them to ease off for the rest of the year. It's been tossed around all year amongst people to either sit and be quiet or even simply to leave the arena and watch from the concourse.

No action, of course. And at this point, it's probably too late considering there is only two regular season games left.

It's getting fairly brutal at this point. Half the "leaders" of the student section are too busy yelling at each other over trivial things instead of trying to improve what matters.

Adding to your last point Hammer, I've said it to people, that at some point, a stand will have to be made. If you continue to concede, they'll just take more and more. And that's what they've been doing. And no one seems to do anything about it.

Comment

• Re: Ferris State Hockey '10-11-Or how I learned to stop worrying and love the penalty

Originally posted by I Want Shegos View Post
      Sadly, now we have our own "babysitters." There are two event staff who sit in folding chairs in front of the glass in the student section, they're basically the hired goons who throw out anyone for any "salty" language.

They essentially forced the students to cut out many chants, and are eliminating more and more as time continues. It won't be long when anything short of "Let's Go Ferris" is allowed. I've been at games for 5 years now, and every year, they take more and more.

The students will have to make a stand at some point if they want to be allowed anything. I guarantee the Notre Dame series is going to rough, they'll be looking to throw out ANYONE. The few students who were at the UAH games were DEAD QUIET, since you would've been so easily spotted and tossed. At least with a full crowd, they can't throw EVERYONE out for a chant. Of course, Kevin Barnes favors the classic "Pick a random person and toss them" philosophy.

At this rate, if the university gets what they want, the Ferris student section will be a PG rated group with the usefulness of a high school fan base. If that day comes, I sure as hell won't be going to games. The environment of the student scetion keeps me coming back as much if not more than the hockey itself, because the games are just plain fun to be at.
      Agree, I saw the FSU Student section back in October against Ohio State. Allowing the GVSU fan in me to be blunt here, but Ferris is in a lousy small town without a whole lot of people there, and its a D2 school, which gives it about zero respect as far as the Media goes, even though the E is a much nicer arena than what the barn that Yost is. You keep shooting the foot off of future potential donors to the program, you're going to be in a big world of hurt. You can ask the kids to reign it in a little, be more clever with stuff instead of outright salty, but overall, you don't want to neuter them at all.
      bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

You don't sit quietly for a period. You sit quietly for a month. Right through the goals and everything. Or you boycott a few games. Not just one, and I'm talking about an entirely empty student section. And no, I'm not exaggerating.

The key here is the student section and whether you have the stomach to go through with what we're talking about here. Remember, you will get exactly what you tolerate.
        Last edited by Hammer; 02-13-2011, 07:59 PM.
        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

It sounds great in principle. But no one would go with it. If tickets cost less, maybe. But season ticket holders aren't going to want their money to be wasted.

Next year should be very...very interesting. The way this ends (from a section standpoint, not the team) will definitely make my decision on if I go for seasons' next year or if I decide not to.

Comment

How much of this can make it into the Torch (if that still exists)? A couple of letters will not suffice. Carpet-bomb the ****ed thing.

God, that was fun...

Comment

And honestly, I don't think the University would care. I really think they'd rather have a tiny, "clean" section than to have a full section of "trouble makers." They've gone as far as sending out a phony message on Facebook from Redmond telling everyone to clean it up.

Of course, the thing that will make them take notice is money. If people don't renew season tickets, that might get their attention. I remember years where the attendance of the UAH games this weekend was the norm. But they just don't get it.
              Last edited by I Want Shegos; 02-13-2011, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Well, it's going to take an empty student section for a few games, then. I'm not sure the students will go through with something like this, but an empty Section L against Michigan should get someone's attention.

The "extension of Big Rapids High" mentality has to end.

For the record, I draw the line at two words: F-bombs and a certain 10-letter bomb that starts with C. And yes, I see the irony in that.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Even words that begin with A and B are now "too obscene" Granted, I can hear them on just about any network TV show during primetime...

Comment

I'm telling you. Silent or empty are your best options. Either that or everyone goes off the rails and really gets vulgar. This is a fight over control. A group of 18-22 year olds should win this fight going away if they really want it.

God, that was fun...

Comment

I'm with you, but like I've said, I know a lot of the people who sit in the front row, and they aren't going to do anything about it, and they aren't going to listen to me either.

Sad panda. I'm really interested how bad they try to crack down with Notre Dame, since it'll be a big game. I almost hope they try to crack down and hard, it'll probably take something extreme from the university to actually create some action from the students.

Comment

If the leaders of the student section are not willing to fight back, then they're as good as neutered already. The university has won.

God, that was fun...

Comment

That's a depressing thought. I sure hope you're wrong. But I don't think you are. Next year will also be interesting simply because many of those in the front are graduating. Maybe that will help things. Or, maybe that makes it worse.

Comment

Either way one side is going to have to suck it up and concede and the sooner it happens the better. The program is going to need all the support it can get in the coming years. Frankly, I'm praying to God that the administration gives up this witch-hunt because the raucous student section was what made Ewigleben great (and yes, I used the past tense on purpose).
                            This space for sale.

Comment

This whole thing sounds like it's right out of the playbook of Helen Popovich, the president who almost bankrupted the university in the 90's by trying to turn the place into an 8,500 student college. And she almost did it.

And bueller, again, it's up to the students to decide where this is headed. You know where I stand.

If they kill the student section, Ferris does not have a hockey program in 5-7 years.

God, that was fun...

Comment

After watching people get tossed for several games now, the thought of sitting down and being dead silent for at least a weekend series has crossed my mind as an effective measure for students.

Unfortunately, that hurts the team and the home ice advantage, but I have to agree with what is being stated here by several of you. From what it sounds likes, it's down right ridiculous. For the life of me, I cannot remember who, but one team had some restrictions placed on them and started welcoming the opposing team with applause, positive chants, and happy signs in mockery. I think that's funny but a silent student section would be more effective in the long run.

Comment

Working...
                                X