UMD 2010-11 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UMD 2010-11 Season

Not only do they defend their 5th National Championship, but have a nice new arena to defend the second half of the season. There are only 5 seniors on the roster, to replace the 5 that graduated, plus Libby Guzzo's transfer to St. Scholastica, making 20 total roster players with the three goaltenders (Harss, Martin, and Steck.)

4 players are listed as defensemen.. giving me the idea that Jessica Wong and Elin Holmlov will see some blue line time this season. Some people were asking what the roles of Gina Dodge and Kacy Ambroz would be this season (with the Olympians returning).. but I don't think there's reason to wonder after their play last season.

UMD should be able to roll 3 lines with anyone this year, with defense being the one spot with possible questions with Rasmussen and Murray graduating. Larocque and Gray will be on the ice a lot with Posa (Soph) and Noora Jaakola (Freshman), and whoever they do decide to move from forward to defense to fill in.

Might we see a goaltender battle between Harss and Martin this winter? Martin didn't have a really excellent Olympic tournament, but they (Team Sweden) didn't play anyone for tuneup matches so she had a really bad defensive team in front of her. Sweden would have been far better off to leave it's players on their NCAA teams seeing high caliber opponents, but that's getting off topic. She (Martin) is (reported as) probably the healthiest (knees) she's been as a Bulldog so it will be fun to see both goaltenders probably rotate at least until after Christmas.

Shannon Miller can't go anywhere for at least 5 years.. if not more.. she has 5 rings for 5 fingers.. but needs 5 more for the other hand!
    Last edited by dhmn; 09-15-2010, 02:25 PM. Reason: Not UWS

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

UMD Women's Hockey Fans Page

Re: UMD 2010-11 Season

Originally posted by dhmn View Post
    There are only 4 seniors on the roster...
    Five (Gray, Larocque, Martin, Holmov, Fridfinnson) unless somebody isn't coming back.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
      Five (Gray, Larocque, Martin, Holmov, Fridfinnson) unless somebody isn't coming back.
      I graduated from Cloquet in 93.. we can't count!

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

Comment

Stephanie Lenz also transferred to St. Scholastica with Libby Guzzo. I don't know where that puts the count (I went to public school in Duluth.)

Comment

DHMN-

Thanks for getting this thread started! Counting down the days. The girls are too. They are super pumped and it's so fantastic to see a team that genuinely likes one another.

Harss is just getting off a knee surgery this summer but says she'll feel great. So I would imagine we'll see both sharing time between the pipes. I'd love to see Steck get a little action out there too. I think she's got it in her.

Let's not forget about our freshman talent rolling in. It's no question what Miller and crew can do to motivate freshman to bring their game. I'm hopeful that they (freshman) will be folded into the mix where they will grow and add some serious value.

Whitecaps game coming soon!! Anybody gonna make the trek to Grand Forks for the following weekend WHCA opener? C'MON, let's do it!

Comment

Originally posted by skatefast View Post
            DHMN-

Whitecaps game coming soon!! Anybody gonna make the trek to Grand Forks for the following weekend WHCA opener? C'MON, let's do it!
            Haven't even thought about going to the North Dakota series, mostly because it's a Friday/Sunday series with the spare day in-between. It would give me a chance to get a lot of outdoors pictures on Saturday but there's little else to do with that day.

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

Comment

I noticed UMD has updated their roster . . .it lists Haley as a senior - which doesn't seem right unless she's not coming back. She was a freshman when they won it in '08, right?

skate . . . can't make it to ND but would love to . . . . it's my favorite arena!

Also, if you haven't take a look at the most recent photos of the new arena you should . . . looks like it's going to be a good-looking place:

http://arena.decc.org/
              Last edited by binnyrus; 09-16-2010, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by binnyrus View Post
                I noticed UMD has updated their roster . . .it lists Haley as a senior - which doesn't seem right unless she's not coming back. She was a freshman when they won it in '08, right?
                That's not good news. I hope it's just a typo.

Comment

I'm chalking it up to a typo. Sadly the team site is not updated as often as I think it should be. And clearly what I think is golden.

Just confirmed with a senior, one who I hope will be a captain, and she says, "No, she's a junior".

Comment

Anyone received their season tickets yet? I got my first half (old DECC) men's tickets over a week ago but haven't seen any women's tickets yet... thought I'd ask before calling them.

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

Comment

I'm sure UMDBulldogs.com will start to be updated timely again with school and 'work study' etc appointments being made where the SID's (Bob and Kelly both) get their student help. As of yesterday anyway, the UMD Athletics facebook page (with over 3000 'fans') hasn't had a single new thing on it since spring.

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

Comment

I haven't gotten my season tickets yet. I just emailed the ticket office yesterday and haven't heard back yet, but I'll post whatever they tell me.

Comment

Originally posted by dhmn View Post
                          Anyone received their season tickets yet? I got my first half (old DECC) men's tickets over a week ago but haven't seen any women's tickets yet... thought I'd ask before calling them.
                          I got my season tickets, both men's (1st half) and women's, last week.

Would love to go to the UND series, too. Best time of year to visit Grand Forks. But, my seat selection in the new arena is scheduled for Sunday, 10/12!

Comment

I have't gotten my season tickets yet either!!

Glad to hear (as I assumed, but you never know) that Haley's only a Junior. Can't wait to see the team on the ice . . .

Comment

Online already, for Sunday's paper http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/eve...cle/id/179267/

the best news of course:
                              Fridfinnson, a left winger on a line with Blais and Saara Tuominen, sparked UMD last season with 54 points in 39 games despite a dislocated left shoulder. Surgery in April in Duluth corrected the problem and she said she’s ready to go.

“I worked on strengthening the shoulder all summer and it will be nice to play and not be thinking about it all the time,” she said.

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

Comment

Working...
                              X