X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big Ten Hockey Conference

Originally posted by aparch View Post
    And then kiss Ferris State, Bowling Green, Western Michigan, both Alaskas, Northern Michigan, Michigan Tech, and Lake Superior State goodbye.
    Actually, I think they would end up being a western Atlantic Hockey caliber conference. Invest that much less into the program, hope to break even, play for the that one chance at a Holy Cross moment that one year out of 10 you make the NCAA's.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

And then kiss Ferris State, Bowling Green, Western Michigan, both Alaskas, Northern Michigan, Michigan Tech, and Lake Superior State goodbye.
      that's two less teams disappearing adding msu-m and bsu, so that's a step in the right direction.
      Originally posted by Mankato student
      Are their innings or quarters in this sport?
      "Bush and Paulson and Greenspan and their clique are “free marketeers” in the same way that Olive Garden is an Italian restaurant."
      -- Peter Klein

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
        Actually, I think they would end up being a western Atlantic Hockey caliber conference. Invest that much less into the program, hope to break even, play for the that one chance at a Holy Cross moment that one year out of 10 you make the NCAA's.
        I was just about to edit my post, but you beat me to it
        Originally posted by Mankato student
        Are their innings or quarters in this sport?
        "Bush and Paulson and Greenspan and their clique are “free marketeers” in the same way that Olive Garden is an Italian restaurant."
        -- Peter Klein

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
          Maybe, down the road, the BTN will decide that hockey isn't doing as much for them as they thought it would, but right now, all indications are that they're very interested.
          if it makes $$$$, they are interested.
          Originally posted by mtu_huskies
          "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
          Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
          Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

You'd be lucky if the Alaskas, Tech, Northern and one other school (Ferris or Western) make it out alive from that conference after a decade. BG tried to cut hockey once, and Lake State probably wouldn't be far behind.
            Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
            I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
            Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post
              You'd be lucky if the Alaskas, Tech, Northern and one other school (Ferris or Western) make it out alive from that conference after a decade. BG tried to cut hockey once, and Lake State probably wouldn't be far behind.
              I agree, there is no way that conference lasts longer than 10 years, but I'm sure they'd give it a shot. Imagine a conference where Tech, Northern and Bowling Green are the "name" schools. Yeah, that'll work.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I agree, there is no way that conference lasts longer than 10 years, but I'm sure they'd give it a shot. Imagine a conference where Tech, Northern and Bowling Green are the "name" schools. Yeah, that'll work.
                How could you forget Miami? They are a dynasty, after all
                Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Also, you can't just kick MTU out of the WCHA, and they're not going anywhere. We've been through this.
                  They would use the college football model. Teams wouldn't get kicked out, they just wouldn't be invited to join the new conference.

Here's how it will go down. Just change "WAC" to "WCHA," "1999" to "2013" and the football schools to hockey schools.

Increasingly, this arrangement was not satisfactory to most of the older WAC members. Five members in particular (Air Force, BYU, Colorado State, Utah, and Wyoming) felt that WAC expansion had compromised the athletic and academic excellence of the membership. In 1999, those five schools, along with old line WAC schools New Mexico and San Diego State, as well as newcomer UNLV, split off and formed the new Mountain West Conference, depriving the WAC of most of its competitive strength and almost all of its history (in addition to its 4 remaining charter members). Only UTEP and Hawaiʻi would remain from the WAC's "golden age".
                  Last edited by dggoddard; 09-13-2010, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                    *****http://www.soapsgirl.org/images/primetime/Dynasty.jpg******, *****http://www.techshout.com/images/dynasty-warriors-ds-fb.jpg****** or *****http://dodge-parts.uneedapart.com/images/dodge-dynasty-parts.jpg******?

As for that conference, you may as well call it the Superior Hockey Intercollegiate Teams.
                    Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
                    I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
                    Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

• Re: Big Ten Hockey Conference

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                      They would use the college football model. Teams wouldn't get kicked out, they just wouldn't be invited to join the new conference.

Here's how it will go down. Just change "WAC" to "WCHA," "1999" to "2013" and the football schools to hockey schools.
                      Oh, I know this, and it could happen. The situation that was mentioned where the WCHA would "trade" Tech to the CCHA for Ohio State. That isn't how it works.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                        Under the proposal, they're part of the "Anti-Big10." Them and Notre Dame.

Not even the GLIAC could save them, as only four of the abandoned teams are part of the 14 team GLIAC. And I doubt Wayne State would feel sorry for them.
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Under the proposal, they're part of the "Anti-Big10"
                          Yeah, they would be with the Denvers and North Dakotas of the world.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

The Big10 is going to beat itself up. Half those teams will have a sub .500 record. This will be the biggest test to see just how well the pairwise works.
                            The BT will likely ask the NCAA to make sure sub .500 teams are tourney eligible and for them to receive 3 or 4 tourney teams every year.
                            Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                            dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                            wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

I'm pretty sure that's what's going to happen. It's just what happens once Penn State is in the CCHA for a couple years? Then what?

Here's a random thought. If PSU joins the CCHA, would the WCHA trade MTU for tOSU? tOSU is already a Women's WCHA member school...

Split the Big10 schools in both the WCHA and CCHA 50/50?

If the Big10 schools are so hellbent on getting their own conference, a 20 game schedule would be pretty good for them. AND then have them play eight guaranteed Non-Conference games against CCHA/WCHA opponents respectively. Let them get up to the same 28 games as the WCHA and CCHA currently has (count those games against the CCHA/WCHA?). Then, the Big10 schools are still free to schedule their six non-conference "whatever" games against whoever they want. Eight non-conference games if they play Alaska or Anchorage in the eight "associate league" games.
                              I would have to think that BGSU and Miami would be mad as heck with OSU going west, OSU is a pretty big meal ticket game for them.
                              bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

All this being said, I don't think that it is certainty that the Big Ten teams leave their current conferences. Once they see the carnage their departures create for very little extra money, they may not go for it.

College hockey is a pretty small fraternity and the animosity that all this would create might not be worth it for the Big Ten Schools.

There could also be political ramifications in Minnesota and Michigan where four Minnesota schools and five Michigan schools would be adversely affected. And how is the Minnesota Legislate going to like pumping dollars into Duluth, Bemidji and St. Cloud's arenas only to have the Gophers bail on the conference?
                                Last edited by dggoddard; 09-13-2010, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X