X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big Ten Hockey Conference

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    I hear that we will get an announcement later this month, though another source tells me that they might wait until the Sioux/Gopher series so they can unveil the jersey. As part of the deal, the Big Ten schools will allow them to be called the Sioux but will put North Dakota on all graphics and programs.

It is a done deal folks...UND to the Big Ten!
    So another Dakota team will get to beat up on the Gophers in football. Sweet! NDSU is gonna be so jealous!
    Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
    when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
    Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

A source who is close to someone who has knowledge of the situation says the CCHA is in trouble.

Taken from an actual newscast, except replace "CCHA" with "Tiger."

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        A source who is close to someone who has knowledge of the situation says the CCHA is in trouble.

Taken from an actual newscast, except replace "CCHA" with "Tiger."
        How about combining the WCHA into the CCHA and making a super conference with Three 6 team divisions? You could have a killer super conference.
        Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
        Eric's Twitter
        The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          It is a done deal folks...UND to the Big Ten!
          I was going to suggest that Minnesota join the Great West so they could compete in Division I sports on a more even playing field, since they couldn't be Greast West power USD.
          Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
          Eric's Twitter
          The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
            I noted and linked where the rumor was posted. I have clearly stated why I think it will happen and why it makes sense to me.

Obviously the Big Ten is going to have to discuss this and talk about it at their meeting next month.

Whats the big deal? Notre Dame gets thrown a lifeline, similar to Baylor getting into the Big 12 in 1996.

You're simply missing a couple huge elephants in the room:

* The NBC contract still has several years on it and is said to have a very, very big buyout clause if ND wanted to leave it early.

* The huge ND alum (and big $$$ donors) that are on the east & west coasts, that really, really like their every other year ND visits to their respective areas to play the likes of USC, BC, Army, Navy, etc.

* Football rules at ND and their independent status will not be vacated without a major backlash for thier alumni base...

Comment

Originally posted by fangers View Post
              You're simply missing a couple huge elephants in the room:

* The NBC contract still has several years on it and is said to have a very, very big buyout clause if ND wanted to leave it early.

* The huge ND alum (and big $$$ donors) that are on the east & west coasts, that really, really like their every other year ND visits to their respective areas to play the likes of USC, BC, Army, Navy, etc.

* Football rules at ND and their independent status will not be vacated without a major backlash for thier alumni base...
              I should have said "Notre Dame hockey gets thrown a lifeline. My bad.

No one said Notre Dame was joining the Big Ten, just that the hockey team may be invited to join the new conference.

Comment

No one said Notre Dame was joining the Big Ten, just that the hockey team may be invited to join the new conference.
                Football also rules the B10. If ND football does not agree to go to B10 then the B10 won't let Notre Dame into any of its sports.

Comment

Notre Dame hockey does not exist, for the purposes of this discussion.

Neither does Minnesota hockey, either.

There are Universities - as a whole - and they are either part of the Big Ten or they are not. Period.
                  "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
                    Football also rules the B10. If ND football does not agree to go to B10 then the B10 won't let Notre Dame into any of its sports.
                    You're stating an opinion and making it sound like a fact.

Maybe Alvarez had to throw in the Notre Dame sweetener to pull Minnesota, Michigan and/or Michigan State on board. All I know is that Notre Dame is a "brand name" and they make the new conference far better IMO.

Comment

You're stating an opinion and making it sound like a fact.

Maybe Alvarez had to throw in the Notre Dame sweetener to pull Minnesota, Michigan and/or Michigan State on board. All I know is that Notre Dame is a "brand name" and they make the new conference far better IMO.
                      You're right, Notre Dame is a brand name that would make the Big Ten better.

But what you're missing is the idea that you can separate a Big Ten hockey championship from the entirety of the Big Ten. You cannot, and the Big Ten will not.

There is no 'convincing' Minnesota to join the BTHC. If the Big Ten decides to form a hockey conference, Minnesota will join because they are a member of the Big Ten. Likewise, there is no sweetener for Notre Dame - the only way Notre Dame enters a BTHC is if they agree to join the Big Ten in all sports.
                      "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Originally posted by blockski View Post
                        There are Universities - as a whole - and they are either part of the Big Ten or they are not. Period.
                        On September 21, 2010 that is true.

Next month, next year or 2014 that might not be the case. The Big Ten just needs to change a by-law.

There are dozens, if not over a hundred D-1 schools that play in multiple conferences, including all the Big Ten schools currently playing college hockey and Notre Dame.
                        Last edited by dggoddard; 09-20-2010, 12:52 PM.

Comment

I was poking around the Big Ten website, and apparently all of this talk is for naught. The BTHC must already exist (http://www.bigten.org/school-bio/big10-school-bio.html):

Originally posted by Big Ten Website
                          The Big Ten leads all conferences with national titles in 13 different NCAA-sponsored championships since 2000-01. Over that time period, the Big Ten has produced championships in cross country, fencing, field hockey, golf, gymnastics, ice hockey, lacrosse, soccer, softball, tennis, track and field, volleyball and wrestling.

Comment

On September 21, 2010 that is true.

Next month, next year or 2014 that might not be the case. The Big Ten just needs to change a by-law.

There are dozens, if not over a hundred D-1 schools that play in multiple conferences, including all the Big Ten schools currently playing college hockey and Notre Dame.
                            I hope you ate paint chips as a kid, because there has to some explanation for this kind of stupidity.
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

What if University of Chicago had a D1 hockey team?
                              PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
                                How about combining the WCHA into the CCHA and making a super conference with Three 6 team divisions? You could have a killer super conference.
                                Except that conference would have only one autobid which negates its viability. Now, the conference commissioner could ask the NCAA for a waiver allowing 3 autobids but I doubt that would fly.

Comment

Working...
                                X