X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big Ten Hockey Conference

Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post
    I dont see that happening. A lot of these schools operate on a small budget. Plus, Hockey East, and ECAC dont seem to be too greatly affected by this. I cant see any of those schools leaving. The WCHA will survive on the NoDak's Denver's and the CC's. Lets face it, if the BTHC forms, the CCHA has Miami, Johnny Come lately Notre Dame, and Northern as its top programs. Not to bash my own school here, but its crap.
    The East will be effected because the best players who want to play college hockey will play in the Big Ten.
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
      The East will be effected because the best players who want to play college hockey will play in the Big Ten.
      I meant Conference shuffling wise. With the addition of new teams, talent is spread thin more and more.
      Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
      1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
      1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
      2006-2007: 15-24-2
      2007-2008: 20-20-4
      2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

Moose, I doubt it. NMU's AD did leave the door open during discussions, but I don't see the WCHA throwing a lifeline to NMU, even if we ask for it. Now is the time for NMU to continue to make noise and be the thorn in Anastos's JLA party and make itself valuable.

NMU8405 is right though, NMU isn't a flagship team to hinge the CCHA on.
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

With the exception of Ohio State... don't the best players already play in the Big Ten?
          Minnesota (except recently), Wisconsin, Michigan and to an extent Michigan State already get the top players.
          - Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. -

Go Bemidji Beavers
          Go you Green and White
          Go Bemidji Beavers
          Fight with all your might!
          Rah! Rah! Rah!
          We are here to cheer you
          We are out to win your fame,
          So, Go Bemidji Beavers
          Fight to win this game.-Fight.

Comment

No, the CCHA can not operate with that 8 team format. Its a large split from ND, Miami and Bowling Green with the "Northern" schools in Michigan. Secondly, I dont see Notre Dame and Miami staying if they cant play the big boys of Michigan and Michigan State, or Ohio State 2-4 times a season. Plus, lets face it....is Miami going to get pumped to play Ferris 4+ times a season?

With the loss of Michigan/State in the CCHA, schools like LSSU, Ferris, and NMU lose that draw. There would be now way in hell that Michigan would travel to the U.P. out of "good faith" to play NMU in a non league game. If the CCHA were to survive, itd be with the addition of a few schools posted above, and the addition of Grand Valley. You'd have to look at a combination of MAAC schools and GLIAC schools for the league to survive. Id really like to see NMU be pro-active here in this before the **** hits the fan, but our A.D. doesnt even know how to check his email, there is no way NMU is doing anything to combat this.
            Believe me, its nice to be wanted, but right now, I don't really see where GVSU gets the money for D1 hockey short of myself hitting the next big 100million+ lotto pot. GVSU would have space for it, and we are likely to get a new basketball arena now that we have our turf building for indoor track. But right now they're still scrapping together the funds for a new library that's badly needed, and they're committed to putting shovels in the dirt for photo ops this fall. Then another addition/expansion of Lubbers. We averaged over 11,000 in the regular season last year, and Lubbers Stadium only has 8,500 seats. Plus there's plans of moving the outdoor track to around the soccer field so that they can lower the field at lubbers to make it more of a bowl. Just getting the capital around to get some of the physical property needed for college hockey would be pretty tough to come by right now, in any short order.
            bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Haha.
              I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by GopherBigGuy911 View Post
                I could definatly see USC or UCLA or Stanford or all of them making the jump to D-1 hockey. They certainly have the money and support and local talent to make the jump. That would also save the Alaska Programs add in Boise State and you would have a conference.
                Well, looking on the bright side for Boise State, at least they could stop arguing for a playoff.

Comment

I meant Conference shuffling wise. With the addition of new teams, talent is spread thin more and more.
                  New team.

And there shouldn't have to be much shuffling. The WCHA and CCHA stay the same except the CCHA would get UAH and MTU to make two 9-team leagues.

EDIT: Except I honestly forgot about NMU. Sorry, hillbillies, you're out again.
                  St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Fml...

5-4
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by UNH09 View Post
                      Well its finally happened. Penn State is set to announce the formation of a varsity hockey team. That will make six Big Ten schools that offer hockey. The only question is what Notre Dame does in everything other than football, a move out of the Big East would help most of their other sports, and is a natural choice in hockey...
                      There's pretty much only one league that Notre Dame could join that would improve* their standing in most other sports (such as would matter, since I don't figure they give a **** where their runners and swimmers play), and it ain't the Big Ten.

*Which would be a marginal improvement at best, and depending on your opinion of them with regards to basketball and Notre Dame's current home, more likely a slight downshift.
                      Last edited by kingdobbs; 09-13-2010, 07:01 AM.
                      UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

A 6 team league is pretty small, thats only 20 games (4 vs each) in conference. That leaves 18-20 games to be scheduled.

I don't really want to play a team more than 4 times a year (minus playoffs).
                        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                          A 6 team league is pretty small, thats only 20 games (4 vs each) in conference. That leaves 18-20 games to be scheduled.
                          ?? ?? ??

Sean
                          Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                          BU Hockey highlights and extras
                          NCAA Hockey Financials
                          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                            ?? ?? ??

Sean
                            Which part confuses you? I guess I used league and conference as interchangable words. Sorry if that was it.
                            PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Actually, it leaves 14 (34 game limit with no Alaska trip or exempt tourney). Plus, that's the whole point. Those 6 schools would get, oh, I don't know, an aditional 10-12 home OOC games (how many road OOC games do you figure Minnesota or Michigan to do each year?). Just look at Minnesota quickly. They could easily set up a perpetual OOC contract with Mankato, Duluth, SCSU, BSU, NoDak and offer three years at Mariucci and one on the road (with finantial guarantees for the years they don't travel). That still leaves two weekends for the Gophers to do what they want - the Holiday Classic and lure in another cupcake (Brown last year, RMU, they have a decent UMass team coming in this year), which would, again, be at home. Heck, even if two of the "rival" state-schools were on the road in a given year, that's still 10 OOC games at home, plus the 10 home BTHC games.

Sample Gopher BTHC schedule (based on '10-'11):

British Columbia (ex)
                              Massachusetts (nc)
                              Massachusetts (nc)
                              @ Penn State
                              @ Penn State
                              St. Cloud State (nc)
                              St. Cloud State (nc)
                              @ Michigan State
                              @ Michigan State
                              Wisconsin
                              Wisconsin
                              @ OSU
                              @ OSU
                              Michigan
                              Michigan
                              Minnesota State (nc)
                              Minnesota State (nc)
                              Minnesota-Duluth (nc)
                              Minnesota-Duluth (nc)
                              Holiday Classic (nc)
                              Holiday Classic (nc)
                              US Under-18 Team (ex)
                              @ North Dakota (nc)
                              @ North Dakota (nc)
                              Penn State
                              Penn State
                              Michigan State
                              Michigan State
                              @ Michigan
                              @ Michigan
                              @ Wisconsin
                              @ Wisconsin
                              OSU
                              OSU
                              @ Bemidji State (nc)
                              @ Bemidji State (nc)
                              Last edited by moose97; 09-13-2010, 09:16 AM.
                              Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                              B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                              CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                              ECAC:
                              HEA: UMass
                              NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                              Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

With 14 games of NC play (assuming you play BT colleges 4 times), you could always go back to some of the other WCHA teams for a few games. I'm sure UND would help out. Notre Dame would probably also make for some good NC games. Yes, your conference would be small, but WCHA and CCHA would also be smaller.

Comment

Working...
                                X