X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big Ten Hockey Conference

Originally posted by blockski View Post
    If they really need to expand, they can add ice to the Bryce Jordan Center down the line. Pretty sure the floor area is big enough, they just don't have the chiller.
    I'm sure the guy who donates $88 million and has his name on the barn wouldn't be too happy if the switched arenas during his lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
      They're the Mother Loving Big Ten! They've already got their own network. Why would they want to invite ND so that their hockey team can befit from their network and money? Until ND is picking out which division of the BT they want their football team in, they're not going to be a part of the BTHC.
      Nor should they, nor do we need them or want them unless they also join for football and an annual butt kicking from Bucky.

The best thing for the remaining CCHA is for Notre Dame to stay and be the other power at the top along with Miami. The problem may be with whether the WMU's of the league can continue to survive.

I may be crazy, but I think that the WCHA will be just fine without us and the Gophers. You've still got elite programs in DU and UND and solid programs in UMD and CC. Even Jan seems to be heading in the right direction.

Here's a thought though. Look out for the WCHA going after Notre Dame and possibly Miami although Miami may try and move to Hockey East. Obviously if these two things come to pass, it's lights out for the CCHA.

I gotta think that both of those schools are looking at other options for conferences. I doubt they want to go down with the ship.

Comment

Originally posted by VarsityWisconsin View Post
        If this all means more hockey games in HD, sign me up. Can't wait.
        How did you get to green?

Comment

In regards to the arena, I think PSU is looking at the Miami model here...

Have a modest size, ultra-modern arena that you sell out completely on a season ticket basis...
          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
            Nor should they, nor do we need them or want them unless they also join for football and an annual butt kicking from Bucky.

The best thing for the remaining CCHA is for Notre Dame to stay and be the other power at the top along with Miami. The problem may be with whether the WMU's of the league can continue to survive.

I may be crazy, but I think that the WCHA will be just fine without us and the Gophers. You've still got elite programs in DU and UND and solid programs in UMD and CC. Even Jan seems to be heading in the right direction.

Here's a thought though. Look out for the WCHA going after Notre Dame and possibly Miami although Miami may try and move to Hockey East. Obviously if these two things come to pass, it's lights out for the CCHA.

I gotta think that both of those schools are looking at other options for conferences. I doubt they want to go down with the ship.
            That's been kicked around as an idea. A sort of "Anti-Big10" / SuperWCHA.

I would hope that Notre Dame and Miami realize that "hey, we may have an auto-bid, plus an at-large to the NCAA's more often now" if they stay in the CCHA. Miami has had a program for years that they finally turned the corner with. Notre Dame is getting itself righted, and those two schools could definitely be flagship teams for the CCHA.

If the SuperWCHA forms, Bemidji, Mankato, UNO, and MTU could find themselves on the outside looking in. Are those teams that BGSU, WMU, FSU, LSSU, and NMU could rely on to fill out a schedule and remain competitive? Not so much. We would instantly become what the AHA is to Hockey East.
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I can't even imagine the concessions Miami would have to give in order to get HEA to convert from a bus league to an airplane league. Why on earth would HEA want them? HEA's won 4 of the last 10 NCAA championships during an era when it would have been possible for all 5 Big 10 teams to make the tournament. With a BTHC, it would be a realistic maximum of 4, plus the other western leagues would be (allegedly) severely weakened. Why should HEA help out Miami? They should just stand pat and continue to win championships while touring around New England.
              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

I agree, but if you can get Miami & Notre Dame what do you need with BSU, Tech, UAA, Mankato and perhaps SCSU?

With a six or eight team league you split the playoff revenue four or six less ways.

Anyway, its going to be an interesting couple of years.

Chambers thinks Gwoz may leave DU. Although I doubt he will end up at Penn State, if DU doesn't join a new elite conference, IMO Gwoz is gone.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/sports/2...ozdecky/12903/
                Last edited by dggoddard; 09-17-2010, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                  Chambers thinks Gwoz may leave DU. Although I doubt he will end up at Penn State, if DU doesn't join a new elite conference, Gwoz is gone.

Holy *.
                  “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I can see some cannibalization, but I don't believe Miami to the HE is an option for them. I do agree with your point about the conference needing to hold onto these two schools.

What would make the CCHA's life a lot easier over the 5 year window before this conference is up and running is to see if it can get some higher profile non Big 10 teams to join (Syracuse, Pitt, etc).

Regarding smaller schools, my view is that I really hope the ones that choose to support their programs with a decent rink and full allotment of scholarships can find a way to hang on. A Bimidji state run at the title every now and again is a lot of fun. However, for those short changing the program and playing in a run down old high school facility, too bad. Either get serious or go home.
                    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                      What would make the CCHA's life a lot easier over the 5 year window before this conference is up and running is to see if it can get some higher profile non Big 10 teams to join (Syracuse, Pitt, etc).
                      All Pitt and Syracuse need to do is find an $88 million hockey loving donor.

Comment

I agree, but if you can get Miami & Notre Dame what do you need with BSU, Tech, UAA, Mankato and perhaps SCSU?

With a six or eight team league you split the playoff revenue four or six less ways.

Anyway, its going to be an interesting couple of years.

Chambers thinks Gwoz may leave DU. Although I doubt he will end up at Penn State, if DU doesn't join a new elite conference, Gwoz is gone.

He is not leaving unless he wants to give up on his financial bank deal with less than five to seven years on it. It is worth more than his contract.
                        Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                        dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                        wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

All Pitt and Syracuse need to do is find an $88 million hockey loving donor.

CCHA better start calling their alums then.

Seriously though, the question for me would be do they have a facility that could be upgraded or do they have to go all in like Penn St did?
                          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                            CCHA better start calling their alums then.

Seriously though, the question for me would be do they have a facility that could be upgraded or do they have to go all in like Penn St did?
                            IMHO, the most plausible way this will happen will involve a school deciding to replace its basketball arena. All you need to do then is include icemaking equipment, and you have a fine (albeit large) facility for D-1 hockey. I think this is why Indiana keeps coming up--the school has already said they'd rather replace Assembly Hall than renovate it. I also think that this is why a BTHC is inevitable, although not necessarily due directly to today's announcement.
                            Last edited by Clifton; 09-17-2010, 12:06 PM.
                            Originally posted by Wreckincrew: "I nominate Clifton for a position on the NCAA Frozen Four host selection plan"

Comment

6k capacity is perfect for state college. There is NO synergy with any of the cities in PA. State college is in the middle of nowhere. Sure you have Winnebago City show up 8 times a year for football-but that is a different culture than hockey.

Great to see this. College hockey addition to PA!!
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Clifton View Post
                                IMHO, the most plausible way this will happen will involve a school deciding to replace its basketball arena. All you need to do then is include icemaking equipment, and you have a fine (albeit large) facility for D-1 hockey. I think this is why Indiana keeps coming up--the school has already said they'd rather replace Assembly Hall than renovate it. I also think that this is why a BTHC is inevitable, although not necessarily due directly to today's announcement.
                                You hear that Lincoln?

lol
                                Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                                dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                                wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X