X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big Ten Hockey Conference

Originally posted by siouxinminny View Post
    Just be sure to add Iowa, Northwestern, Nebraska, Indiana, Illinois and Purdue. The BTHC will be a fairly weak conference for about a decade with that motley crew.

I do like the idea of DU, CC, MTU, UNO and the good MN universities in the WCHA. When the University of Arizona and Northern Arizona join the WCHA, it will be a nice warm-weather road trip for all WCHA teams.

Seriously, a BTHC is a bad move. College hockey is currently devoid of the other-sport conference alignment. Let's keep it that way. If for no other reason than to stick it to the NCAA.
    The Ivy league still determines a champion in hockey and chooses a hockey all-league team, while playing within the structure of the ECAC Hockey League. In fact, you can argue that at least some of the Ivies would value the Ivy title more than the ECAC crown if it also carried an automatic bid.

Comment

Originally posted by pinch View Post
      Does the Big 10 have any sports with 6 or more schools that do not participate in a Big 10 Conf?
      The Big Ten offers (schools participating):

* Baseball (Men's)
      * Basketball - Men's
      * Basketball - Women's
      * Cross Country - Men's
      * Cross Country - Women's
      * Field Hockey (Women's)
      * Football (Men's)
      * Golf - Men's
      * Golf - Women's
      * Rowing (Women's)
      * Soccer - Men's
      * Soccer - Women's
      * Softball (Women's)
      * Swimming & Diving - Men's
      * Swimming & Diving - Women's
      * Tennis - Men's
      * Tennis - Women's
      * Track & Field - Men's
      * Track & Field - Women's
      * Volleyball (Women's)
      * Wrestling (Men's)

A couple of those are 10 teams (Wisconsin doesn't have baseball, Northwestern doesn't have Men's Cross Country, Illinois doesn't have Men's Swimming, etc.)

Only 6 schools sponsor Men's Gymnastics. Only 7 have Men's Soccer.

For the women, 7 schools offer Field Hockey, 7 have gymnastics, 7 have rowing (rowing is not a sanctioned sport for the Men, but many schools have teams).

The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are Men's rowing - but that's not really a sport that requires a league to play in, since it's mostly about regattas and other head to head competitions. Several schools have Lacrosse, but I'm not sure if any other sport has 6 or more in a non-conference setting.
      Last edited by blockski; 09-14-2010, 09:06 AM.
      "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Originally posted by blockski View Post
        The Big Ten offers (schools participating):

* Baseball (Men's)
        * Basketball - Men's
        * Basketball - Women's
        * Cross Country - Men's
        * Cross Country - Women's
        * Field Hockey (Women's)
        * Football (Men's)
        * Golf - Men's
        * Golf - Women's
        * Rowing (Women's)
        * Soccer - Men's
        * Soccer - Women's
        * Softball (Women's)
        * Swimming & Diving - Men's
        * Swimming & Diving - Women's
        * Tennis - Men's
        * Tennis - Women's
        * Track & Field - Men's
        * Track & Field - Women's
        * Volleyball (Women's)
        * Wrestling (Men's)

A couple of those are 10 teams (Wisconsin doesn't have baseball, Northwestern doesn't have Men's Cross Country, Illinois doesn't have Men's Swimming, etc.)

Only 6 schools sponsor Men's Gymnastics. Only 7 have Men's Soccer.

For the women, 7 schools offer Field Hockey, 7 have gymnastics, 7 have rowing (rowing is not a sanctioned sport for the Men, but many schools have teams).
        I think he was asking if there are any sports where there are six+ schools participating that aren't part of a Big Integer Conference. The answer is probably no, but what other sport has a set-up like hockey?

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
          I think he was asking if there are any sports where there are six+ schools participating that aren't part of a Big Integer Conference. The answer is probably no, but what other sport has a set-up like hockey?
          Yeah, I've edited my post. The only possibles I can think of would be Men's Crew and Lacrosse, but Crew doesn't really require a league to play in - it's more of a 'meet' sport than a 'game' sport.
          "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

I have a question Im sure has been answered but this thread is too long to search.

When is PSU planning on going NCAA DI? any time table

Comment

Big Ten, big deal, big bust. Would be like another CHA conference.
              Bob is making me concerned
              I am the voice of reason

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
                I have a question Im sure has been answered but this thread is too long to search.

When is PSU planning on going NCAA DI? any time table
                2011-12
                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                  2011-12
                  wow thats fast.

Comment

Originally posted by pinch View Post
                    Does the Big 10 have any sports with 6 or more schools that do not participate in a Big 10 Conf?
                    No, anything >=6 has BigTen. All of the other <6 school sports (hockey, lacrosse, fencing, M rowing and W water polo) belong to single sport conferences. The addition of Nebraska does not move any of the <6 sports to 6.

Comment

Originally posted by siouxinminny View Post
                      College hockey is currently devoid of the other-sport conference alignment.
                      Only at the Division I level. And it seems to work okay at the D-III level, although the prevalence of the SUNYAC in upstate New York is causing problems for the few non-SUNYAC teams in the area.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by blockski View Post
                        I have no doubt that some legislators will make a bunch of noise to appease their constituents, but I also think that's all it will be - pointless noise.
                        Exactly.

This is a case where Minnesota will have to choose between the Big Ten and the WCHA.
                        And it is an easy choice when you consider the money and the prestige the "U" makes via their affiliation with the Big Ten. Even a political critic would be wise enough to understand that. Which is why I would (for one of a few times) agree with Badger fan over a fellow Gopher fan. When it comes down to an either/or situation, there is no way on earth anybody with a brain would ever expect the Gophers to ditch the Big Ten.

The other hockey programs in the state will be fine. Yeah, they may not see the Gophers in their rink as often as they do now (which might hurt financially a bit since they often charge more money for tickets on those weekends) but it certainly isn't going to make those programs go the way of the dinosaur either. That is underestimating those programs and the support of their fans.
                        University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
                          Would the addition of PSU have to mean the end of the CCHA/WCHA as we know it? Can't PSU join the CCHA and have out of conference games vs. Wisconsin and Minnesota if they want to have an "Ivy League" like title ala the ECAC? Harvard, Cornell, Dartmouth, etc all play in the ECAC but compete for an "Ivy League" title as well.

I just dont see the addition of one team throwing central and western collegiate hockey into a whirlwind. Ultimately, it would mean all the B10 schools would have to agree to leave and join a new league. I just dont see it happening like the doomsdayers here say it will.
                          I agree with you. I think the issue is that with there now being 6 Big Ten teams with Div. 1 hockey, other Big Ten schools are much more likely to seriously explore adding it. And like I said earlier, if they get up to 8 Big Ten schools with Div. 1 hockey, I don't see how a BTHC doesn't form.

So right now, I don't think there will be any impact on the current conferences (other than perhaps a reduced schedule). But the groundwork has been laid for change down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                            2011-12
                            From what I've heard from a couple places - including early in the Penn State thread - 2011/12 is when they would hire staff and start recruiting for DI (least officially), but wouldn't actually start play until 2012-13 as an independent. Then the BTHC start in 2013/14.

But not seen anything concrete, suppose that all could be addressed on Friday.

Comment

Besides the Big twelven, what other "big football conferences" have more than one or two schools with D1 hockey?

Comment

Originally posted by Innova View Post
                                Besides the Big twelven, what other "big football conferences" have more than one or two schools with D1 hockey?
                                None.

The Big East has UConn, the ACC has BC and Army and Notre Dame are Independent.

Comment

Working...
                                X