ECAC Hockey 2010-2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECAC Hockey 2010-2011

Conference play is 2 months away and I'm starting to get a bit impatient so I wanted to know what the rest of the ECAC people think about the upcoming season. Favorites for a top four finish? What about the pre-season all-league team? In terms of teams, will RPI still be as good as projected? Can Union repeat last season's success? What about Yale, will they become a dynasty? Will Clarkson be as bad? Will Brown build up on their trip to Albany? Etc etc... tell me what you think
    Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Re: ECAC Hockey 2010-2011

Originally posted by hockeyenthusiast View Post
    Conference play is 2 months away and I'm starting to get a bit impatient so I wanted to know what the rest of the ECAC people think about the upcoming season. Favorites for a top four finish? What about the pre-season all-league team? In terms of teams, will RPI still be as good as projected? Can Union repeat last season's success? What about Yale, will they become a dynasty? Will Clarkson be as bad? Will Brown build up on their trip to Albany? Etc etc... tell me what you think
    I think the usual suspects will be up near the top again. Yale will still be a strong opponent...yes they lost some key offensive players but they still return a lot of strong and capable scorers. Goaltending again will be their question mark but I can't imagine it could be worse than last year. Cornell is Nashless and lost who I feel was their best player to graduation in Greening along with Scirvens and a a few other key players. They have no offense returning so I think Schafer will have them play D and nothing else.

Havard losing Leblanc will hurt as they were coming on

As for RPI many predict them to be a top 2-4 team this year although their fortunes took a blow with D'Amigo signing and I'm not sure if I read Pirri left already too?? If so....that will seriously hurt them.

I don't think Clarkson can stay at the bottom that long and teams like Union and Q Pac will I think finish near the top of the standings. Q Pac had a lot of freshman last year and although they lost Wong and some other key players that year of experience will be a big help.

My Saints will have their challenges. Losing Bollig and a stud defenseman incomign recruit to the Caps before he even got to campus will hurt. I think a .500 year for us would be a victory as we also have to replace two goalies who played regularly since they were frosh. Losing Mackenzie and Keller to graduation leaves gaping holes but players like Hughes and Flanagan should be vastly improved.

As to picking the top players that is a crap shoot but I am thinking Little, Kearney and O'Neill from Yale will be near the top offensively with only Polacek from RPI being perhaps the best offensive player in the league. Colgate has a couple of blue chippers in Smith and Day but I think there will be some breakout players that will jump up and surprise. The aforementioned Hughes (D) and Flannagan from SLU....Langlois from Q could all surprise.

Overall I don't want to be a pessimist but I thnk the league lost a ton of talent to graduation and I think it will be a "down" year for the league in general but again....it's the ECAC so parity will prevail.
    SLU

Comment

[QUOTE=critsports;4855391
      As for RPI many predict them to be a top 2-4 team this year although their fortunes took a blow with D'Amigo signing and I'm not sure if I read Pirri left already too?? If so....that will seriously hurt them.
      [/QUOTE] He's gone.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
        They have no offense returning so I think Schafer will have them play D and nothing else.
        This definitely seems like a safe bet for this season, so you would have to think that by the numbers Garman will have a good year - he's probably not a horrible guess for the pre-season team, even if it is the system...

Cornell should be looking to open things back up a bit in 11-12 with the arrival of Hudon & co.
        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
          ...you would have to think that by the numbers Garman will have a good year - he's probably not a horrible guess for the pre-season team, even if it is the system...
          If true, it'll be more than the system. I'm really looking forward to watching Garman get his shot -- he's been very patient these past 2 years. However, I'll be surprised if by the end of the year Andy Iles isn't the number one goalie.

Comment

Isn't Iles from Ithaca HS ??? He beat Cornell last year with the U-18 team ?
            It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Yes to the second one, not sure about the first one.
              Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

Yup, he went to Ithaca High School.
                Cornell '09

I Bleed Big Red.

Comment

Originally posted by ithacat View Post
                  If true, it'll be more than the system. I'm really looking forward to watching Garman get his shot -- he's been very patient these past 2 years. However, I'll be surprised if by the end of the year Andy Iles isn't the number one goalie.
                  Although Iles doesn't fit the Cornell goalie profile size wise I believe he will be a STAR when his time comes.As an RPI fan thats not good news,but its always good news when top talent comes into our league and I've seen him play....make no mistake He's top talent.Good Luck....Looking forward to 2 tough Hockey games this year !
                  What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I think this is Union's year.

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post
                      If they can recover from the losses of their top 2 scorers and 3 of the top 4, I agree with you. They could certainly ride the Kinkaid / Milan tandem to greatness. Of course, my money goes on the Bulldogs. I just love their style of play.
                      Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

I'm not even going to try and predict things in thw conference at this point.

I do agree that the conference will be down (ie, don't think we will get more than one team in the NCAAs and that team most likely will not win a game).

Of course I hope I am wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post
                          For what?
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                            Of course, my money goes on the Bulldogs. I just love their style of play.
                            So do I.

Comment

I think the real question here is, "Will Harvard win a non-conference game?"
                              Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Working...
                              X