Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE University of Michigan 2010-2011 Season Thread

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
    Been meaning to ask some of the UM posters what they thought about Hunwick both being named the starter for your first game, and Berenson apparently deciding to go with both Hogan and Hunwick unless or until one clearly separates himself? I don't know how long that the situation has been known (I saw it first on the WCHB just a couple of days ago). Obviously last night may have clouded a few opinions so I wish I would have posted the question earlier.
    Hunwick can't be faulted on much from last night, so it's no matter.

In my opinion, I like the way Red handled the situation. It's very appropriate. On one hand, you've got Hunwick who was able to accomplish more than anyone thought was possible the moment Hogan went down with the groin pull last year. He was the gel that brought the team together in the face of adversity, and performed very admirably.

On the other hand, you've got Hogan, who has played very well in the past, yet had a sub-par season last year. Make no mistake though, while the 2009-2010 version of Hogan was sub-par, the team gave him little help.

I don't think Red's intentions were publicly announced until recently, but it was my expectation that he would start the season with a rotation. Starting Hunwick in the first game is simply picking up where last year left off. That's not an endorsement of Hunwick over Hogan, just letting Hunwick begin where last year finished. They're both on equal footing otherwise.

This will probably play out similar to 08-09, in that there will be a rotation for the better part of the first half of the year, until it becomes clear that one has set himself apart from the other, or the team simply plays better in front of one or the other. I don't expect that there will be a glaring difference that eliminates the discussion prior to Thanksgiving, nor do I think that there will be enough equities to continue as a tandem for the whole season.

Comment

IHF- I'm with KC on this one- I really like how Red is handling this. First- it's a major kudos to Shawn for how he finished last season- which was not just as a capable back up, but as an apparent rallying point for the team.

Second- and hopefully more importantly- it showed Hogan that he's not the #1 goalie just due to the fact that Hunwick was a walk on based on his brother. He's going to have to earn the spot, and maintain his play to keep his playing time.

Last night wasn't much his fault- he may have been able to steal one of those, but all in all- the D was quite sloppy- almost as if they wanted to get into the scoring action which lead to too many odd man situations.

And once was clearly the ref getting in the way- I think it was the 3rd goal where a pass up the boards was interrupted by the ref, which brought it back down, and quickly led to a 2-0 right in front of the net- easy goal.

Still- the TEAM has the burden of this loss. While they did a great job fighting off the major as well as another minor in there, and most penalties- the general play was pretty poor after the major. (oh, and I thought Hagelin got the right call- he just mis-timed that very badly).

Comment

anyone going to start a thread for this weekend's games?

I'm not- I seem to be bad luck when starting threads.

Comment

I think we'll be just fine this season. A CCHA tourney championship is always fine with me

It's even better when we take out msu at munn in the playoffs. I was in laughter going there as the #7 seed and beating their overrated asses
          ---
          National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
          Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
          19 Conference Championships
          10 Conference Tournament Championships
          2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
            anyone going to start a thread for this weekend's games?

I'm not- I seem to be bad luck when starting threads.
            I'm content with keeping my thoughts in here, but if someone wants to start one, more power to them. My luck only applies to season threads.

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
            I think we'll be just fine this season. A CCHA tourney championship is always fine with me

It's even better when we take out msu at munn in the playoffs. I was in laughter going there as the #7 seed and beating their overrated asses
            Welcome aboard. The weekend at Munn was certainly a memory I won't soon forget, just keep in mind that rankings mean nothing. Let that also be our mentality as we proceed through this year.

Comment

M-HockeyNet: I showed my students this clip from the Mercyhurst game before each of my classes today. Based on their enthusiasm, I think there are now fifty more Michigan Hockey fans than there were yesterday!

Either that or they all want "A"s and they know the quickest way into my good graces. Thanks for posting the clip!
              Still anticipating the all-CCHA Frozen Four

Comment

A win is a win, and those are three points we can't loose. And it was Red's 700th win (WAY TO GO, RED!!!!)

But that wasn't a very pretty win.

Counldn't score when we were dominant in the first, let BG score first, and took oodles of penalties. If these guys can't get the penalties under control, there will be a number of games were we will give up late leads. That was scary.

And, while I like Shawn, he's starting to show hints of over playing- he was way out of position a few times that thankfully didn't lead to goals.

They are talented, for sure. But that game should have been way out of reach by 10 min into the game, based on what I saw. Instead the final score didn't reflect much how BG started to find their groove, and how Michigan was falling apart.

Comment

Counldn't score when we were dominant in the first, let BG score first, and took oodles of penalties. If these guys can't get the penalties under control, there will be a number of games were we will give up late leads. That was scary.
                  I didn't watch the game, but noticed from the box score that Tristin took yet another penalty to put us down two men. That has GOT to stop. Period. That's not putting the team in a position to win games.

Comment

is hunwick/hogan a strict rotation or what?
                    “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                    Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                    Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                    National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
                      is hunwick/hogan a strict rotation or what?
                      For the time being, yes. I expect it to be that way until at least January, if not the whole season. Red has made it know that if one goalie pulls away from the other, he will go with him. But if both goalies are playing well, he will continue to rotate them.
                      Michigan Hockey Net
                      Follow MHNet on Twitter

NMUKat82 to my dog Cinnamon: Will you stop eyeballing my crotch like you're expecting something tasty to come out???

NMU Hockey: No Focke. No Scharge. The curse has been lifted and the turnaround begins!

"'Tech' means nerd, and nerds suck at sports." - Stephen Colbert

Comment

Another ugly win. Two majors, Scooter gets the boot with his apparent CFB.

No idea if this was like last night, with UM getting 11 or 12 penalties- Al was pretty adamant that the refs were missing a lot of BG penalties, and making up a lot of UM penalties.

I know they are homers, but sure doesn't sound good for the CCHA.

Comment

Another ugly win. Two majors, Scooter gets the boot with his apparent CFB.
                          Mac Bennett also got a CFB major. Both were game misconducts, so neither will miss time.

Will be interesting to hear Red's take on his show Tuesday. Didn't see the games this weekend, so not sure if the CFB were legit or not (i.e. everyone says Hagelin's CFB in the opener was garbage). But aside from the three CFB majors in three games, you got all the other penalties. This team is spending way too much time in the box.
                          Michigan Hockey Net
                          Follow MHNet on Twitter

NMUKat82 to my dog Cinnamon: Will you stop eyeballing my crotch like you're expecting something tasty to come out???

NMU Hockey: No Focke. No Scharge. The curse has been lifted and the turnaround begins!

Comment

Originally posted by M-HockeyNet View Post
                            Will be interesting to hear Red's take on his show Tuesday.
                            There won't be a show on Tuesday. Our exhibition against USNTDP is this coming Tuesday.

Comment

WTW the clip of the Michigan band was great! I hope to catch a game out there someday.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord of the Rinks View Post
                                There won't be a show on Tuesday. Our exhibition against USNTDP is this coming Tuesday.
                                Ah, yes. Forgot about that. Hope that game doesn't turn into the NTDP's game against Muskegon the other night or we might not have a team going to UNH. Look at the penalty summary, in particular the third period
                                Michigan Hockey Net
                                Follow MHNet on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X