Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: THE University of Michigan 2010-2011 Season Thread

Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post
    Also, the dumb NHL 94 celebration has been done before. Dont try that again please.

Obviously not by NMU though.

Comment

So Louie looks to be week to week- on the rivals page, they are reporting the offical word is a lower body injury- nice of them to lower the locations to half of the body.

Sounds pretty serious, as the major hope is that he will be back fo teh NCAA's...

In the mean time, we will see more of Hagelin at center next weekend. So it's a good time to have a week off.

Comment

At the radio show last night coach said it was a knee injury and that the doctors said 3-6 weeks.
        Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
        wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
        7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

BUMP

Oh yeah, it's Bowling Green. Any thoughts? IMO they shouldn't be a problem, I mean the last place team who we have already easily defeated twice this year. But it would be a Hollywood tale if Bowling Green makes a Cinderella run this year and in the process knocks off last years Cinderella...
          Originally posted by alfablue
          Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
          Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
          I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

I was looking forward to Lake State and their "mullets and mohawks to Motown" to make fun of, but Bowling Green pulled off the overtime victory.

Bowling Green only had 3 conference wins during the season (1 each against Notre Dame, Lake State, and Northern). Now they've got 2 wins in their last 2 games. Clearly, they are capable of the upset, just haven't done so often. These could be better games than we might normally give Bowling Green credit for.
            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
            7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
              I was looking forward to Lake State and their "mullets and mohawks to Motown" to make fun of, but Bowling Green pulled off the overtime victory.

Bowling Green only had 3 conference wins during the season (1 each against Notre Dame, Lake State, and Northern). Now they've got 2 wins in their last 2 games. Clearly, they are capable of the upset, just haven't done so often. These could be better games than we might normally give Bowling Green credit for.
              That's true, they have nothing to lose. Funny, I read that their radio announcers were already starting the "Hunwick is the weak link" mantra at the end of their game last night.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                That's true, they have nothing to lose. Funny, I read that their radio announcers were already starting the "Hunwick is the weak link" mantra at the end of their game last night.
                Well, assuming he is... the way he's been playing of late, that's one heck of a weak link right now. The kind of "weak link" that can take you to playing in April.

sadly, since I have a weak spot for Northern, it just looks as if their offense just shut mostly down these past few weeks. So, take that as you will.

BG DOES have some tough and hard working players, though.

Comment

Funny, I read that their radio announcers were already starting the "Hunwick is the weak link" mantra at the end of their game last night.
                  Excuse me? ***? That's taking things a little too far. Congrats, you won a playoff series, but let's not call down the thunder.
                  http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

I was listening to that broadcast and never heard anything of the sort. If you read it here, though, it must be true....

Comment

Originally posted by BGFan View Post
                      I was listening to that broadcast and never heard anything of the sort. If you read it here, though, it must be true....
                      After the game analysis of Michigan followed. The comment that was allegedly made (by one of the announcers) was that Michigan's goaltending may be their weakness. The color guy jumped in and allegedly said, yes, Hunwick's stature may be an area that the Falcons can exploit. Innocent enough, I guess.

So, you're either full of crap or my source is. I'll bet that my source is pretty accurate- afterall, they usually analyze their next opponent and, compared to a 10 win BG team, had to find something to build on this weekend. Yes, Hunwick is 5'5" on a good day. Yes, teams try to go high on him. But compare his stats to Hammond or just about anyone else in the CCHA and Hunwick can hold his own. He led Michigan to a CCHA title and a playoff title last season. I think his resume' is sufficient enough to poke holes in a casual radio announcer's analysis. Either way it is a minor deal- although it is a stretch to really say that goaltending has been Michigan's weakness this season.

I'd rather talk about my team's positives than look to an opponent's perceived weaknesses, especially when your talking about the gap between these teams.

Comment

After the game analysis of Michigan followed. The comment that was allegedly made (by one of the announcers) was that Michigan's goaltending may be their weakness. The color guy jumped in and allegedly said, yes, Hunwick's stature may be an area that the Falcons can exploit. Innocent enough, I guess.

So, you're either full of crap or my source is. I'll bet that my source is pretty accurate- afterall, they usually analyze their next opponent and, compared to a 10 win BG team, had to find something to build on this weekend. Yes, Hunwick is 5'5" on a good day. Yes, teams try to go high on him. But compare his stats to Hammond or just about anyone else in the CCHA and Hunwick can hold his own. He led Michigan to a CCHA title and a playoff title last season. I think his resume' is sufficient enough to poke holes in a casual radio announcer's analysis. Either way it is a minor deal- although it is a stretch to really say that goaltending has been Michigan's weakness this season.

I'd rather talk about my team's positives than look to an opponent's perceived weaknesses, especially when your talking about the gap between these teams.
                        Hunwick plays his angles so well, it simply doesn't matter how tall he is. He is so agile and can move up and down so quickly. I've been impressed since he broke through last year.
                        http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Pardon me but analysis of your next opponent is hardly a mantra. Looking for any weakness, however minor, is the natural thing to do, especially when a last place team is going up against a first place team.. Your comment, to me, sounded like they were considering Hunwick as a major weakness for UM which really wasn't the case. When your team averages less than two goals per game, you look at anything and everthing.

FWIW, there's a decent possibility that Solway will be back for this weekend's series.

Also, FWIW, in Hammond's last 11 games (basically since he became the #1 goalie) he has a 1.91 gaa and .941 save percentage, which is pretty much on par with Hunwick.

Seriously, though, I'm just happy that we're still playing and showing improvement. Considering that we didn't know if we would still have a team after the 2009 - 2010 season I'm, actually, ecstatic!
                          Last edited by BGFan; 03-08-2011, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Pardon me but analysis of your next opponent is hardly a mantra. Looking for any weakness, however minor, is the natural thing to do, especially when a last place team is going up against a first place team.. Your comment, to me, sounded like they were considering Hunwick as a major weakness for UM which really wasn't the case. When your team averages less than two goals per game, you look at anything and everthing.

FWIW, there's a decent possibility that Solway will be back for this weekend's series.

Also, FWIW, in Hammond's last 11 games (basically since he became the #1 goalie) he has a 1.91 gaa and .941 save percentage, which is pretty much on par with Hunwick.

Seriously, though, I'm just happy that we're still playing and showing improvement. Considering that we didn't know if we would still have a team after the 2009 - 2010 season I'm, actually, ecstatic!
                            I understand your POV, but IMO it was tactless to make an ignorant comment like taking advantage of his stature, especially when Hunwick's stats disprove the statement. It certainly never affected Jeff Lerg. Hunwick may be a weak link in the sense that Michigan's defense led the CCHA in GA and GPG average (2.13 last I checked), so if BG can manage to score more than their <2 GPG, and keep Michigan from scoring their average of 3.5 GPG, especially at Yost, I guess targeting the goaltending would be the only area to exploit. I guarantee you, without Hunwick Michigan doesn't win the CCHA regular season, though.

Overall, Hunwick's 16-7-4, 2.31 GAA and .920 save % for the season is solid. Hammond is a good goaltender also, but instead of posting his last 11 games (with 6 of those against NMU and MSU-two of poorer offenses in the CCHA) look at the whole body of his work, also. 6-15-3, 2.50 GAA .918 sv%- which is impressive considering the team's GF/GA disparity. I think Hammond will be an x-factor this weekend- but in his last 11 outings, he has only faced a team as offensively talented as Michigan once- Notre Dame. (WMU is pretty decent, too and those were good outings.) Hunwick, on the other hand, faced Miami, Alaska and WMU inside a similar 11 game window and was 4-2, with a higher than average GAA during that stretch. The difference is, he only had one poor outing he could be faulted for in those six games, against WMU.

BTW- what's wrong with Solway? His 5-10-15 will be needed. He usually plays well against Michigan.

I guess if I was BG, I'd concentrate more on shutting down Michigan's offense than worrying about their goaltending/defensive weaknesses. It will be an easier task considering how inconsistent the Michigan offense has been, and how anemic BG's is. BG can capitalize on the mistakes they are given by defensive pressure- and based on certain Friday games this season, Michigan can give those away in transition. This is where Hunwick has bailed his team out, especially games where Michigan has been uncharacteristically loose and outshot at home.

Comment

FWIW, one game against Miami is also included in those stats. He was still splitting time with Eno that weekend and the next weekend.

Solway has a concussion as a result of a cheap shot taken in the NMU game on Feb. 18. He was in open ice with no one and no puck around him when Cherniwchan blind sided him with an elbow to the head.

As far as the analysis is concerned, take it for what it's worth. The announcers are students and overall do a decent job calling the game. I'm sure that Bergeron is preparing the team in ways that he deems to be their best chance to take the series.

Comment

FWIW, one game against Miami is also included in those stats. He was still splitting time with Eno that weekend and the next weekend.

Solway has a concussion as a result of a cheap shot taken in the NMU game on Feb. 18. He was in open ice with no one and no puck around him when Cherniwchan blind sided him with an elbow to the head.

As far as the analysis is concerned, take it for what it's worth. The announcers are students and overall do a decent job calling the game. I'm sure that Bergeron is preparing the team in ways that he deems to be their best chance to take the series.
                                I respect the fact that you are responding in an intelligent manner. The last point that Red Berenson made on his radio show last night was that Michigan will be prepared to play BG just like they would for Miami or Notre Dame or any other opponent. He stated (and I paraphrase) that "we must respect our opponent, no matter what their record is." He expects a tough series against a team with nothing to lose. (Defenseman Greg Pateryn commented that "playing BG is tough because they are one of the more physical teams we played this season. They beat us up pretty good down there.") I'm sure Bergeron will have your team prepared.

Comment

Working...
                                X