Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: THE University of Michigan 2010-2011 Season Thread

Originally posted by Caustic Undertow View Post
    I enjoyed that recap. Gets everything pretty much right.

The "We Want Molly" started right after warmups left the ice. I was visiting my parents' seats in the North End Zone, heard the chanting, and realized, "This is gonna be great." Don't forget, St. Cloud was in the midst of a streak of NCAA futility that only just ended. While the mascot was threatening Michigan's starting lineup, St. Cloud's team was required to look to the South End Zone for the national anthem, getting a nice view of Michigan's brand new banner featuring all nine national championships. The crowd, the pregame "violence," the winless streak--the game was over before it started.
    And don't forget that Mark Hartigan choked bigtime on a SH breakaway. He was still sore about that game when he was asked about the Wolverines while having a cup of coffee with the Red Wings some years back.

Comment

Originally posted by Caustic Undertow View Post
      I enjoyed that recap. Gets everything pretty much right.

The "We Want Molly" started right after warmups left the ice. I was visiting my parents' seats in the North End Zone, heard the chanting, and realized, "This is gonna be great." Don't forget, St. Cloud was in the midst of a streak of NCAA futility that only just ended. While the mascot was threatening Michigan's starting lineup, St. Cloud's team was required to look to the South End Zone for the national anthem, getting a nice view of Michigan's brand new banner featuring all nine national championships. The crowd, the pregame "violence," the winless streak--the game was over before it started.
      Yep, well, Andy found the info usefull, but unfortually, not for his Chargers. St. Cloud beat Hillsdale 42-28. SCSU football now has twice as many playoff wins as SCSU Hockey. They move on, to face Minnesota-Duluth next weekend.

Of course, one could say that SCSU football has more playoff wins than Michigan football as well.....
      bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

An awesome live webcam showing the construction of the rink for the Big Chill:

http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-hock...hill-2010.html

"The game of hockey, though much in vogue on the ice in New England and other parts of the United States, is not much known here."

--The Montreal Gazette, March 4, 1875.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post

Of course, one could say that SCSU football has more playoff wins than Michigan football as well.....
          ??? I don't know how you can equate lower division playoffs to D1 football- or the multiple NC's/wins Michigan has in its history... but okay.

Comment

Anybody know how to get USCHO to get the correct stats for Michigan? Their point totals do not match Michigan's official stats.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...tive-stats.pdf

Michigan has four players with six goals this season, USCHO stats show only one. And numerous assists are missing from other players.
            Last edited by umichjim; 11-22-2010, 05:57 PM.
            The certainties of life...Death, Taxes and bad B1G Referees.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
              ??? I don't know how you can equate lower division playoffs to D1 football- or the multiple NC's/wins Michigan has in its history... but okay.
              Those where all NC's by opinions. The split NC that Michigan and Nebraska back in 1997 is all the proof you need of that the BSC and any other bowl system that doesn't have at least 8 teams getting picked to play games until there's only one winner is a sham.

Not really a dig at Michigan Football, but the overall BS of the BCS.
              bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by umichjim View Post
                Anybody know how to get USCHO to get the correct stats for Michigan? Their point totals do not match Michigan's official stats.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...tive-stats.pdf

Michigan has four players with six goals this season, USCHO stats show only one. And numerous assists are missing from other players.
                I wouldn't bother. Use MGoBlue.com if you want up to date stats.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                  Those where all NC's by opinions. The split NC that Michigan and Nebraska back in 1997 is all the proof you need of that the BSC and any other bowl system that doesn't have at least 8 teams getting picked to play games until there's only one winner is a sham.

Not really a dig at Michigan Football, but the overall BS of the BCS.
                  That is how things were done prior to 1998- by opinion. You can't dismiss 125 years of Championships deemed by either the coaches or by the AP/UPI press. Yeah, Michigan fans feel that sharing a title with Nebraska in 1997 was Osborne shenanigans, considering how the Huskers had to jump several spots to split the title. But, they were undefeated too, played a good schedule and beat an admirable team in a bowl. I wished the two teams could have played, but that's life.

The Div I BCS formula tried to inject more objective means, but I agree it is still a subjective good ole boys club. I don't know how viable a playoff system would be for D1, but it certainly would be interesting. There is always going to be a debate as to whether the correct teams are put into a NC game, just as much as whether the correct teams are picked in a playoff format. Just the same, I don't think any team that has been picked prior to 1998 didn't deserve their NC (or share of it.) At least the BCS attempts to pick the "best" two teams to play in the NC game, even though that has been flawed, also.

The NCAA is riding a hypocritical fence- i.e.-wanting to be a little pregnant. They want the traditional bowl system to exist, but do not want to set it up in a true playoff format. They do not want to extend the season, but love the revenue. There are way too many bowls, now. It is diluted and unwatchable in some ways, so I agree with you to an extent. But I don't agree that a national champion in D1 in this system is any less a champion because they do not go through the same playoff format that the lesser division programs go through.

Thank goodness we don't have the same concerns for hockey, although many of the same arguments exist with the way the 16 teams are determined for the tournament.

Comment

Ohio State part I. Gotta love the Bucks fans that have to make snarky football references on a hockey website. I guess we know how relevant hockey is there.

Comment

Ohio State part I. Gotta love the Bucks fans that have to mak snarky football references on a hockey website. I guess we know how relevant hockey is there.
                      How about your players leaving the ice like little cry babies when the game was over and not shaking hands. Grow up and take the loss like a man.

Comment

Ohio State part I. Gotta love the Bucks fans that have to make snarky football references on a hockey website. I guess we know how relevant hockey is there.
                        Well, for the team to skate off and not want to shake hands after giving up two goals within less than 2 min...

Pretty sad on our side of the rink.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                          How about your players leaving the ice like little cry babies when the game was over and not shaking hands. Grow up and take the loss like a man.
                          Please, big difference between what happens on the ice and what nonsense is thrown down hiding behind a keyboard. I don't condone what the Michigan players did, anymore than a drunk buckeye flipping middle fingers at buses, throwing yoo-hoo on the ice, and immature fans acting like they have a program to brag about on this website.

Comment

Please, big difference between what happens on the ice and what nonsense is thrown down hiding behind a keyboard. I don't condone what the Michigan players did, anymore than a drunk buckeye flipping middle fingers at buses, throwing yoo-hoo on the ice, and immature fans acting like they have a program to brag about on this website.
                            Im not bragging about anything and i feel the same way about fans flipping the finger to a bus. I dont do it and dont believe in it.

Comment

I remember when teams waited until the series was over to shake hands. Did they shake hands after tonights game?
                              No man is entitled to the benefits of freedom if he is not vigilant in its preservation. - Douglas MacArthur

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Im not bragging about anything and i feel the same way about fans flipping the finger to a bus. I dont do it and dont believe in it.
                                You are doing it right now.

Look, we will deal with our team when they act like losers, and you do it with yours. We don't need you to tell us when our team isn't behaving. By "rubbing" our bytes in it, it's just as if you flipped us fans the bird as we were leaving the Schott.

You deal with your own teams issues, we will deal with ours. Until you can come close in total championships, I think we will be happy in ignoring your "advice"- ok?

Comment

Working...
                                X