Boston University Women's Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WSU, SLU and CU Games

I have now seen the Terriers play three additional games since my last post. With each game I have been more impressed with the team. In the second Wayne State game they outplayed the Warriors, but due to excellent goaltending by Delayne Brian the Warriors were able to lead 1-0 after one period. In the second BU continued to apply pressure, getting the tying game in the middle of the period and taking the lead with two goal 6 seconds apart late in the period. However, the Warriors refused give up and played what I thought was their best period of the six, but Sperry and the Terriers were able to handle the pressure. I was also pleased the Bu took only 4 penalties, after taking 9 the night before.

In the SLU game both teams got off to slow starts with neither team being able to apply any pressure in the first period. In the second the Terriers asserted themselves, carrying play and pressuring the Saints, but only able to get one goal, in large part due to the play of Maxie Weisz. BU doubled the lead on another short-handed goal early in the third, but otherwise applied little pressure, despite have three powerplays, including 1:24 of 5x3. For the second straight game Sperry played well, especially in the third when she faced the most pressure. She only gave up one goal, when SLU pulled Weisz while on the powerplay for a 6x4 advantage, a move that almost backfired as BU hit the empty net post twice before the Saints finally scored. The penalty kill play very well, as it had to as BU racked up 9 penalties in the game.

On Saturday vs. Clarkson the Terriers played what I think was there best game of the season so far (I didn’t see the second UND or the Union games). Both teams got off to good starts, with the Golden Knights doing a great job of disrupting the Terriers’ offense and taking a 1-0 lead after one period. In the second BU adjusted and was able to take control of the play and pressure Clarkson for most of the period and scoring twice. Lauren Dahm made great saves all game to keep it close and I think BU did a great job of not getting frustrated and continuing to control play and apply pressure in the third after the teams exchanged early goals. Once again Sperry played well, as did the whole team on both defense and offense.

I will miss the game on Friday at Providence, and I am looking forward to November when they play 7 home games and I should be able to make it over to BC for the lone road game.

Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
    BU Hockey highlights and extras
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Re: Boston University Women's Hockey

The next two weekends will be a good test for BU. Poulin, Wakefield, and Watchorn will be in Newfoundland with Team Canada, detracting from BU explosive offense. It will be interesting to see what the lines look like. BU faces Providence and UNH this weekend, and Vermont the next. Goal tending is going to be HUGE. Expect to see Fromkin back in the lineup. Hopefully BU can dig deep enough to grab a few points from two great hockeyeast opponents this saturday and sunday.
      Bleed Scarlet.

Comment

Providence at BU

I missed the game at Schneider Arena, but today I thought that Providence was the best team the Terriers have played against this season. Similar to the Clarkson game the Friars totally disrupted BU’s offense in the first period, but they also were able to put steady pressure on BU. The Terriers were missing three of their best players and in my opinion it showed as Providence completely controlled the period. The second period the game turned completely around as BU first played even with PC and once they tied the game up it seemed that the Terriers stepped it up and you wouldn’t know that they were missing anyone. After missing a goal on a breakaway a few minutes earlier, Holly Lorms tied the game up as she cut in from the left faceoff circle and scored a beautiful goal as she skated across the slot. Later in the period Kaleigh Fratkin took a five minute for body checking and the Terriers stepped it up another notch. First BU drew a tripping penalty on the Friars to even it for 2 minutes and Louise Warren scored 4x4 to give the Terriers the lead. Thirty-nine seconds after PC went back on the powerplay they took two additional penalties three seconds apart to give BU a 4x3 powerplay. Catherine Ward made the Friars pay as she scored her first goal as a Terrier to make it 3-1. Kathryn Miller closed out the scoring with a pretty goal as time was running out in the period, her first of the season. I thought Providence played well in the third period had their chances, but Alissa Fromkin stopped all eight Friar shots.

I had some doubts about Fromkin after watching the exhibition game vs. Windsor and the game at North Dakota on TV. I also liked the play of Sperry in the four games I saw her play and stated I think she was making a case to be the number one goalie. Today Fromkin kept BU in the game in the first period, despite giving up PC’s lone goal. Once or twice in the third I thought she played the puck poorly, but overall I was impressed by her play and think she could have been one of the stars of the game.

For the third straight game, fourth out of five and fifth overall BU gave up the first goal and was able to come back to take the lead, winning all but last week’s, when they settled for a tie. This team continues to impress me more each game. They don’t seem to let giving up a goal, especially the first one, bother them; instead they work harder and hustle faster to tie it up, take the lead and usually win the game.
        Last edited by Sean Pickett; 11-07-2010, 07:08 PM.

BU Hockey Games
        NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Re: Providence at BU

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
          I missed the game at Schneider Arena, but today I thought that Providence was the best team the Terriers have played against this season. Similar to the Clarkson game the Friars totally disrupted BU’s offense in the first period, but they also were able to put steady pressure on BU. The Terriers were missing three of their best players and in my opinion it showed as Providence completely controlled the period. The second period the game turned completely around as BU first played even with PC and once they tied the game up it seemed that the Terriers stepped it up and you wouldn’t know that they were missing anyone. After missing a goal on a breakaway a few minutes earlier, Holly Lorms tied the game up as she cut in from the left faceoff circle and scored a beautiful goal as she skated across the slot. Later in the period Kaleigh Fratkin took a five minute for body checking and the Terriers stepped it up another notch. First BU drew a tripping penalty on the Friars to even it for 2 minutes and Louise Warren scored 4x4 to give the Terriers the lead. Thirty-nine seconds after PC went back on the powerplay they took two additional penalties three seconds apart to give BU a 4x3 powerplay. Catherine Ward made the Friars pay as she scored her first goal as a Terrier to make it 3-1. Kathryn Miller closed out the scoring with a pretty goal as time was running out in the period, her first of the season. I thought Providence played well in the third period had their chances, but Alissa Fromkin stopped all eight Friar shots.

I had some doubts about Fromkin after watching the exhibition game vs. Windsor and the game at North Dakota on TV. I also liked the play of Sperry in the four games I saw her play and stated I think she was making a case to be the number one goalie. Today Fromkin kept BU in the game in the first period, despite giving up PC’s lone goal. Once or twice in the third I thought she played the puck poorly, but overall I was impressed by her play and think she could have been one of the stars of the game.

For the third straight game, fourth out of five and fifth overall BU gave up the first goal and was able to come back to take the lead, winning all but last week’s, when they settled for a tie. This team continues to impress me more each game. They don’t seem to let giving up a goal, especially the first one, bother them; instead they work harder and hustle faster to tie it up, take the lead and usually win the game.

Well said. I was really impressed with the team's ability to persevere this weekend without their 3 top players- especially against two top teams in UNH and PC who are probably going to finish in the top half of the conference.

Was glad to see Kirchner and Kohanchuk step it up in today's game against UNH as it seemed the team was relying a little too much on Poulin and Wakefield for offense. If this team is truly going to compete for a NC title then other players need to step up. Looking for players like Cherewyk and Cardella (top returning scorers) to contribute more. Also been really impressed with the team's PK. I think the team's strength is really with its defensive corps. Against PC, Ward was a beast and the defense in general was able to control the play and get the puck back into the PC zone whenever it came out.

Going forward, the team needs to come out stronger in the first period and stop turning pucks over in their own zone as that has produced a lot of unassisted goals for the opposing team.

Comment

New Hampshire at BU

After three straight games against physical teams BU played against another highly skilled team. Instead of being dominated in the first period the Terriers played well and in my opinion slightly outplayed New Hampshire. The defenses for both teams were on their games and there were only seven shots combined on goal. Unfortunately for BU the result was the same as other recent games, as they trailed 1-0 after one. In the second period the two teams continued to play the same style and it resulted in a BU goal when Jenelle Kohanchuk scored on a nice shot.

In the third BU once again upped their level of play and it resulted in three goals in two-and-a-half minutes, including the first two just 13 seconds apart. The Wildcats were able to make it a 2 goal game scoring with an extra attacker on a delayed penalty late in the game, but were unable to score on the resulting powerplay. Jillian Kirchner iced the game shortly after the penalty expired when she scored her second goal of the game.

After three straight games of 40+ shots on goal BU was held to just 21, but many were high quality and they scored more goals then they did in any of those games. The offense also broke out of a slight scoring slump, scoring 9 goals in two games without their top two scorers, after scoring just 7 goals in 3 games with them. In my opinion this is a great sign of the balance in the Terrier’s offense this season.

In goal Sperry had tough day as she appeared to be out of position several times and in my opinion had one of her poorest games of the season to date. Despite this she also made some great saves and showed a quick glove several times.

Sounding like a broken record, for the fourth straight game, fifth out of six and sixth overall BU gave up the first goal and was able to come back to take the lead, winning all but one, when they settled for a tie. The team continues to impress me and is fun to watch. In my opinion it is, to date, one of the best I have seen, men’s or women’s, in 26 season of following BU hockey. These were the two biggest games for this team to-date, with two big games next week in what can be considered trap games before two major ones against BC in two weeks. I’m already looking forward to Friday.

Sean Pickett

BU Hockey Games
            NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by Bumbles View Post
              Well said. I was really impressed with the team's ability to persevere this weekend without their 3 top players- especially against two top teams in UNH and PC who are probably going to finish in the top half of the conference.
              Thanks for your thoughts and opinions. Fifteen years ago I wrote up game reviews for the men's games and one thing I learned is I'm not cutout to be a reporter (I prefer to watch, cheer and enjoy, not take notes). However, after starting this thread about the renovated Walter Brown I thought I should post my thoughts about the games this season. I appreciate reading what other fans think and hope to see more.

Sean Pickett

BU Hockey Games
              NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                Thanks for your thoughts and opinions. Fifteen years ago I wrote up game reviews for the men's games and one thing I learned is I'm not cutout to be a reporter (I prefer to watch, cheer and enjoy, not take notes). However, after starting this thread about the renovated Walter Brown I thought I should post my thoughts about the games this season. I appreciate reading what other fans think and hope to see more.

Sean Pickett
                Definitely great to hear your first-hand accounts of the games, Sean. Keep it up!
                Boston University 2009 Champs
                Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

It was great to go to WBA and actually be able to see the game, not to mention shoot photos, thanks to new lighting that is at least twice as bright as the old. The building certainly befits a D1 program, and with the slated future upgrades will certainly be first class. Hopefully the arena staff will stay on top of things like keeping the glass and boards clean of puck marks and the like.

As for the game, it was obviously a pretty tight affair until the mid-point of the third. The Miller goal was quite the blast from on top of the right wing circle and made great use of the UNH D as a screen. Kohanchuck's second goal, coming 12 seconds after Miller's was a beauty, as she either picked up Kirchenor's rebound or feed off the faceoff and beat Minton's split. UNH's D played a little too aggressive after that, resulting in odd man rushes and two more goals.

Comment

Get your free scarf Saturday - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WK3pnBJRK8

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
                    HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
                    HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

Mini-gallery from tonight's game - http://www.uscho.com/recaps/2010/11/...oston-college/

HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
                      HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

So I'm forcing myself to "spam" today, extra awkward here since I had the last two posts, but:

Having a Cyber Monday sale at http://HockeyPhotography.com - 10% off all prints with coupon code 2010-10 (enter on checkout page) or 15% off with coupon code 2010-15 if you order $150 or more of prints. You can find BU galleries here - http://hockeyphotography.photoshelte...000s0tH0lu3ktk or enter the name of your favorite player in the search box - http://hockeyphotography.photoshelter.com/search-page

Great holiday present for yourself or someone else. Gift certificates also available.

-Melissa

HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

Congrats to the womens' team on their #3 poll ranking. Best yet in their short history.

Comment

OVERRATED!!!!
                            I jest, of course. BC and BU will both be making noise in the 2nd half. It's time for an eastern champion.
                            Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                            Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                            Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                              OVERRATED!!!!
                              I jest, of course. BC and BU will both be making noise in the 2nd half. It's time for an eastern champion.
                              Don't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by mwade View Post
                                So I'm forcing myself to "spam" today, extra awkward here since I had the last two posts, but:

Having a Cyber Monday sale at http://HockeyPhotography.com - 10% off all prints with coupon code 2010-10 (enter on checkout page) or 15% off with coupon code 2010-15 if you order $150 or more of prints. You can find BU galleries here - http://hockeyphotography.photoshelte...000s0tH0lu3ktk or enter the name of your favorite player in the search box - http://hockeyphotography.photoshelter.com/search-page

Great holiday present for yourself or someone else. Gift certificates also available.

-Melissa
                                WOW! Awesome collection!

Comment

Working...
                                X