X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2011 Recruit Thread

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
    We're quickly approaching the point where this is becoming an even less desirable result than losing players to other NCAA teams. Honestly, I'd have much rather seen him go to Madison than to Barrie if he wasn't coming to Troy. Sigh.
    I am in complete agreement. The NCAA seems to be getting the short end of more and more battles with the major junior leagues recently.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
      Someone has fed him well
      The Hubster attributes it to daily Flintstones Vitamin (which the B.R.O. still takes)...I know, however, that it's because he ate what we ate from the very beginning. We were poor; I refused to buy baby food. So whatever was for dinner went into the blender (steak, pizza...if I made it, it went in the blender...add milk). He's been drinking coffee since he was two...and his love of spice came from forcing us to give him home made salsa (9 alarm! ) as soon as he saw us eat it...I KNOW all of that pulled the governor switch off of the growth plates...

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        Still growing?
        Dunno. I hear facial hair grows in the final phase of growth...he now has a good scruff and the 'stache is peach fuzz so my guess is yes...

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
          Just catching up on the board. It's seems that VS and BRO have been doing alot together lately, sitting out a game together (while others were being evaluated), doing radio... hmmm I wondering if they will be both headed to a destination close to my house next fall together.
          It would be very nice but I don't think that is why...but it does give time for plenty of conversation...

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
            We're quickly approaching the point where this is becoming an even less desirable result than losing players to other NCAA teams. Honestly, I'd have much rather seen him go to Madison than to Barrie if he wasn't coming to Troy. Sigh.
            Yes...it seems it would be better to have a chance to 'stack up' against someone who didn't chose RPI. With what's happening, that is not possible (at this level, at least)

Comment

Originally posted by babo View Post
              Yes...it seems it would be better to have a chance to 'stack up' against someone who didn't chose RPI. With what's happening, that is not possible (at this level, at least)
              People (here and elsewhere) are more than a little PO'd at MJ's cherry picking. It seems that the only way it'll ever change is if the NCAA allows MJ kids to go D1...even if they put parameters on it, like say no more than one season, or "x" amount of games. That way, young kids who are sold a bill of goods up there and want to change their minds, have the option of leaving and getting an education while bringing glory to their institutions and the NCAA....

I'll leave it to others to handicap the likelihood that this'll ever happen...but I'm certainly not holding my breathe. I'd sure like to see an attempt led by the "big boys" -- who have the financial clout thanks to football and hoops, but certainly including ECAC/Ivy schools...who have the weight of academic excellence with a long track record of their hockey players excelling in the classroom. I can dream anyway...
              Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 09-15-2010, 02:33 PM.
              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                People (here and elsewhere) are more than a little PO'd at MJ's cherry picking. It seems that the only way it'll ever change is if the NCAA allows MJ kids to go D1...even if they put parameters on it, like say no more than one season, or "x" amount of games. That way, young kids who are sold a bill of goods up there and want to change their minds, have the option of leaving and getting an education while bringing glory to their institutions and the NCAA....

I'll leave it to others to handicap the likelihood that this'll ever happen...but I'm certainly not holding my breathe. I'd sure like to see an attempt led by the "big boys" -- who have the financial clout thanks to football and hoops, but certainly including ECAC/Ivy schools...who have the weight of academic excellence with a long track record of their hockey players excelling in the classroom. I can dream anyway...
                I think that Penn Sate will go D-I before that happens.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Are the young players victims? Yes. Are the MJ guys opportunistic? Yes. But many of their parents are neither and deserve full responsibility for not doing their homework. If you are a parent and you are being told that your child is the second coming of Sydney Crosby, then find out the history of success via the routes being considered. The information is widely available. If you decide to choose the route that cuts off options, then the outcome is on you as a parent. I wouldn't want to be looking into my son's eyes and have to tell him he has no where to go in hockey at the age of 20...shut it down. Parents put on the rose colored glasses with blinders and want the bragging rights. What they should brag about is their son's success in life...which comes with a good education.

Comment

I think that you are absolutely correct about this, but didn't want to post it for fear of "speaking my mind", if you know what I mean. I think some of the rules unfortunately are very strict because of football or basketball. Instead of blanketing them across the entire NCAA, there really needs to be different rules for different sports to adhere to the needs of each sport and its environment.

Comment

Are the young players victims? Yes. Are the MJ guys opportunistic? Yes. But many of their parents are neither and deserve full responsibility for not doing their homework. If you are a parent and you are being told that your child is the second coming of Sydney Crosby, then find out the history of success via the routes being considered. The information is widely available. If you decide to choose the route that cuts off options, then the outcome is on you as a parent. I wouldn't want to be looking into my son's eyes and have to tell him he has no where to go in hockey at the age of 20...shut it down. Parents put on the rose colored glasses with blinders and want the bragging rights. What they should brag about is their son's success in life...which comes with a good education.
                      babo...I'm taking the statue of Our Virgin Mother Mary out of the halfshell on my front lawn and putting a statue of you in there(LOL).That sums it up perfectly !!!
                      What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

The NCAA thinking of MJ as abject pros is ridiculous. Apparently a $50 per diem makes a kid a pro but not a full ride to a university. OK whatever you say NCAA. It's a foolish and ridiculous designation by the NCAA, especially when the NCAA is busy making money off of all the kids in major sports.
                        R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

I totally agree babo...but you're preaching to the choir...well said. I guess my point was there ought to be an option for a kid who, while having played some MJ games, decides he wants to play college hockey...
                          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

I totally agree babo...but you're preaching to the choir...well said. I guess my point was there ought to be an option for a kid who, while having played some MJ games, decides he wants to play college hockey...
                            Well, at least with cross country or distance track, you can run community races that offer prize money, and so long as you turn down the prize, you can maintain your eligibility. Why couldn't there be a similar option for Major Junior? I know it'd be tough to convince them, but if it saves the club some dough and gets them higher profits, all the better, right?

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
                              The NCAA thinking of MJ as abject pros is ridiculous. Apparently a $50 per diem makes a kid a pro but not a full ride to a university. OK whatever you say NCAA. It's a foolish and ridiculous designation by the NCAA, especially when the NCAA is busy making money off of all the kids in major sports.
                              GLM, I agree with you. But what ever happened to caveat emptor? (did I spell that correctly?), I agree the NCAA regs are asinine and I agree the market place should be the arbiter.

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
                                babo...I'm taking the statue of Our Virgin Mother Mary out of the halfshell on my front lawn and putting a statue of you in there(LOL).That sums it up perfectly !!!
                                I would not do that if I were you...no no...

Comment

Working...
                                X