Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NAHA Labor/Labour Day Tournament 2010

Good information guy's appreciate it.

Ya, Rocco's that's the place. Good food, friendly owners and staff!

Is there a good sharpener in Burlington, or should I bring the portable? We play 3 games in one day!

I'm with Slew...Where is the bar in Burlington?

Comment

Originally posted by 5 4 Fighting View Post

Very true. Not a lot of places will greet an entire hockey team with smiles, a full menu, good food and service.

Where did I put that Dining Guide

Lots of decent places around Cairnes, and the hotel bar / restaurants are good as well. Remember - you are in a college town
      "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
        Very true. Not a lot of places will greet an entire hockey team with smiles, a full menu, good food and service.

Lots of decent places around Cairnes, and the hotel bar / restaurants are good as well. Remember - you are in a college town
        Funny story... I was sent ahead to secure tables and pre-order at Rocco`s. I sat down at the bar beside an older gentleman and proceeded to tell him what I was up to. The minute he found out we were a Female Hockey team from Canada...the wheels were set in motion. The owner was quickly summoned from the back. A meal plan was put together and as I said we were treated like gold from the minute we arrived until departure. Beauty!
        Oh and BTW when I asked ownership who the older fella was at the bar that seemingly made things happen in a hurry...Turns out he was once the Captain of the Boston College Men`s Hockey team from the 50`s...a bit of a legend around Rocco`s I came to understand.

Right! It`s all coming back to me now. It`s Move-In weekend. I remember from two years ago going downtown as they had the Main Street shutdown and a kind of...what we would call, Fringe Festival going on. It was really something else to stumble across. Hope it's an annual event.

Comment

Is there a good sharpener in Burlington, or should I bring the portable? We play 3 games in one day!

There is a good sharperner not far from the UVM rink. From the UVM rink, head north to the main drag (HWY 2 ?), and head east toward Williston, cross over the I89 and then it is less than a mile up the road heading East on your left, not far from the Dunkin Donuts shop. Just ask the Driscolls, they can give you the name of the place.

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
            Lots of great joints on Church street. A must visit when in Burlington, including the Ben and Jerries. (I had one of those ice creams just the other day, double chocolate...Hmmm)

Comment

ON MAA refers to Kevin Smith's Sports Connection. From UVM or the Cairns rinks proceed to Williston Rd. Take a right. Right after the light at the DoubleTree and Best Western, it's in the 2nd shopping plaza on the left.

Comment

Originally posted by playthegameonthepond View Post
                ON MAA refers to Kevin Smith's Sports Connection. From UVM or the Cairns rinks proceed to Williston Rd. Take a right. Right after the light at the DoubleTree and Best Western, it's in the 2nd shopping plaza on the left.
                Hey, don't forget the Pelkster's and DC's favorite french fry place.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                  Hey, don't forget the Pelkster's and DC's favorite french fry place.
                  All I wanna know is can a flatlander get one of those whoopie pies everyone is on about... in the Boston/Burlington area's, keeping in mind we are on a boneshaker that's hard to park.

I mean the thing has it's own thread!

Heard lot's about them but don't know where to locate...would like to take all my wingers out for the experience...

Comment

All I wanna know is can a flatlander get one of those whoopie pies everyone is on about... in the Boston/Burlington area's, keeping in mind we are on a boneshaker that's hard to park.

Heard lot's about them but don't know where to locate...would like to take all my wingers out for the experience...
                    Yeah, good luck with that.

Whoopie Pies seem to follow the karma/chipitity ratings on these boards.

Store bought stuff is on a buyer-beware basis!

Sounds like I miss you NAHA folks dropping my D off at prep school, so no food connections this trip in any event!

Enjoy New England. Enjoy the family experience.

Hope all is good with you and yours,

DYD

Comment

Well, might be better to wait till they are back on the bus for the return trip on Sunday. (they are very filling)

Comment

I'm looking at the schedule and I'm wondering about the strength of teams and brackets. Its difficult to judge since I only hear about teams and haven't seen them first hand. Please correct me if I'm wrong but my GUT FEELING is that the brackets strongest to weakest are as follows:

1 Bracket 4
                        2. Bracket 3
                        3. Bracket 2
                        4. Bracket 1

It seems to me that Bracket 4 has 4-5 really good teams. My personal opinion is that being in the toughest bracket is best for recruiting reasons because then you are playing more games against good opponents. The more tougher games better showcase girls' talents to the scouts. Correct me if I'm wrong but I've been told that most of the scouts are gone by the time the championship game is played so from a recruiting standpoint being in the championship game doesn't really matter much. Obviously winning is always desired but I don't think the scouts care who wins.

Comment

Originally posted by SlewFoot View Post
                          I'm looking at the schedule and I'm wondering about the strength of teams and brackets. Its difficult to judge since I only hear about teams and haven't seen them first hand. Please correct me if I'm wrong but my GUT FEELING is that the brackets strongest to weakest are as follows:

1 Bracket 4
                          2. Bracket 3
                          3. Bracket 2
                          4. Bracket 1

It seems to me that Bracket 4 has 4-5 really good teams. My personal opinion is that being in the toughest bracket is best for recruiting reasons because then you are playing more games against good opponents. The more tougher games better showcase girls' talents to the scouts. Correct me if I'm wrong but I've been told that most of the scouts are gone by the time the championship game is played so from a recruiting standpoint being in the championship game doesn't really matter much. Obviously winning is always desired but I don't think the scouts care who wins.
                          You are right that scouts don't care who wins. Many will be gone by Sunday, but many others stick around, as this time of year they like to talk to seniors after their last game.

Comment

http://www.winter-hawks.org/page/sho...ment-u19-2010-
                            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by lcharb View Post
                              LC should be weaker this year. They graduated most of their really strong players and it appears that Belle Tire will be the strong U19 team out of Detroit this year. Several top Honey Baked and LC girls moved to Belle Tire.
                              LC's made it to the final, surpassing expectations. Nice to see them and another U.S. team (the Minnesota Icecats) playing for the championship, for what I believe is the second consecutive year.
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Icecats win the NAHA Tourney by beating Little Ceasars 2-1!

(Source OnEdge)

I believe this is the first Championship for a MN Team.
                                Last edited by joehockey; 09-05-2010, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X