NAHA Labor/Labour Day Tournament 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NAHA Labor/Labour Day Tournament 2010

This might be a stupid question...Is it possible to travel by chartered bus from Logan Airport to Harvard in 20 minutes on a Wednesday afternoon at 4pm? If not how long would this trip take?

Comment

Originally posted by 5 4 Fighting View Post
      This might be a stupid question...Is it possible to travel by chartered bus from Logan Airport to Harvard in 20 minutes on a Wednesday afternoon at 4pm? If not how long would this trip take?
      It will be longer than 20 mintues but not too much more, unless there is an accident.
      Fire Chiarelli!

Comment

I'd say half an hour should do it.

Comment

I think 40-50 minutes is more realistic. I 'm not real keen on the way that mapquest wants to send you. That section of I-90 that intersects with I-93 is a bear from about 3 PM until 7 PM, and then the rest of the way via Mapquest takes you through a whole series of traffic lights. I have found that Mapquest/Garmin do not typically do a good job of anticipating the impact of traffic lights with their directions and time estimates.

The problem you have is that you are going to be on a Chartered Bus. There are easier ways to Harvard via either Storrow Drive or Memorial Drive ("the river roads" along The Charles), but I'm quite sure that Storrow is restricted to cars only.

UCONNFAN might have a better suggestion.....
          Toe Blake On goalies: "You get four goals off them, or five, but the goal you've got to have to win, somehow the great ones don't let you get it.”

Comment

I hate to say "It depends" but it depends...

Google Maps says Sumner Tunnel to Storrow Drive then wind your way through the streets of Cambridge and you'll be there in 12 minutes. All of those roads will be extremely congested at 4pm. I would guess somewhere between 30 to 40 minutes, although you have a chance at 20. You would do yourself a great favor if you could get out of Logan a bit earlier -- even 15 or 20 minutes would make a difference in the traffic.

Ice is correct. Storrow Drive has height restrictions so you'll have a longer route in the bus.
            Last edited by futurestar; 08-31-2010, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Maybe I should have mentioned that the Bus Driver appears to have a hyphenated name and is from Vermont! Do you think that will make a difference?

Comment

I just spoke with UCONNFAN, and we agreed, your best bet is probably to stay in I-90 and skip past the I-93 exits, continuing to the exit for Allston-Brighton. If you have a professional driver, he/she will know this way into Harvard. This is realistically 30 minutes or so, again barring an accident on the Interstate.

Again, the challenging part is that you are a bus and there are road restrictions, but we both think this should do the trick for ya!
                Toe Blake On goalies: "You get four goals off them, or five, but the goal you've got to have to win, somehow the great ones don't let you get it.”

Comment

Originally posted by IceIsNice View Post
                  If you have a professional driver, he/she will know this way into Harvard.
                  Maybe I should have mentioned that the Bus Driver appears to have a hyphenated name and is from Vermont! Do you think that will make a difference?
                  In that case, you're totally screwed!

Comment

Originally posted by IceIsNice View Post
                    I think 40-50 minutes is more realistic. I 'm not real keen on the way that mapquest wants to send you. That section of I-90 that intersects with I-93 is a bear from about 3 PM until 7 PM, and then the rest of the way via Mapquest takes you through a whole series of traffic lights. I have found that Mapquest/Garmin do not typically do a good job of anticipating the impact of traffic lights with their directions and time estimates.

The problem you have is that you are going to be on a Chartered Bus. There are easier ways to Harvard via either Storrow Drive or Memorial Drive ("the river roads" along The Charles), but I'm quite sure that Storrow is restricted to cars only.

UCONNFAN might have a better suggestion.....
                    Been in the area often and it can be anything from quick to basically sitting in a parking lot for 30 minutes or more. In addition lots of twists and turns and obscure angles in and around Storrow Drive and the 93......Why not stay on the 90 going out and then get off once you are close to Harvard. Love to visit Boston Downtown, but NOT during rush hour.

Comment

Aaah.... mais oui....is his name Jean-Louis, Jean-Charles or Jean-Guy ?.
                      5-4, maybe you'll have to take off the gloves worthy thy name.

Comment

Take Mass pike West and get off at first exit. This exit is for Allston/Brighton and Cambridge. when you exit stay to left do not go right to cambridge, this will put you on cambridge street. Second set of lights there is a Hess gas station take a right, this is North Harvard Street. Follow for about a mile and you will see the Stadium on your left, the hockey rink is right beside the stadium just as you pass the stadium. This is a quick bus friendly route, but like the rest at this hour, will take about forty minutes.

Comment

The further i get into this itinerary the more I wonder...should have asked this the first go around however on the same day Wednesday they have us leaving Harvard at 6:00pm and in Willmington at 6:45 for a 7:30 ex game against the Shamrocks at Rustuccia Arena. Is that doable?

Secondly does anybody know the name of the restaurant right across the road from the rink? We went there last go around and were treated like gold and would like to go back but need to phone ahead.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comment

Rocco's Restaurant

I'd leave 15 minutes earlier if possible. 93 North can be slow going at that hour, too. Shouldn't be more than an hour, I don't think.

Comment

Originally posted by fireandice View Post
                              Take Mass pike West and get off at first exit. This exit is for Allston/Brighton and Cambridge. when you exit stay to left do not go right to cambridge, this will put you on cambridge street. Second set of lights there is a Hess gas station take a right, this is North Harvard Street. Follow for about a mile and you will see the Stadium on your left, the hockey rink is right beside the stadium just as you pass the stadium. This is a quick bus friendly route, but like the rest at this hour, will take about forty minutes.
                              For the un-initiated, Mass Pike West is the same as I-90.

Comment

What gives guys? A half a page of good commentary about the NAHA tourney and one and one-half pages on directions through Boston! I can sense a good tourney. Where's the bar?

Comment

Working...
                                X