Life after college hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life after college hockey

It's nice to see that there ARE hockey opportunities for these young women after their college careers come to an end.

Evan Minnick (Colgate, '10) and Melanie Greene (Vermont, '10) recently signed to play with the ESC Planegg Penguins, based near Munich, Germany, for the upcoming season. They join former UMD Bulldog Michaela Lanzl, who is playing for her home country post-college. The Penguins are the defending champions of the EWHL (European Womens Hockey League).

There may be no NHL for female hockey players, but it's great to see that there are opportunities like this for these athletes to continue playing the game they love, while at the same time having the opportunity to travel Europe.

There is a pic of the two "signees" on ESC Planegg's Facebook page. Good luck to them both!

Re: Life after college hockey

...why didn't I think of this. Thanks Livin! (BTW U spelled Hockey wrong) anyways I had posted this site on CAN/AM thread which looks like it's goin nowhere...fast.

www.womenshockeylife.com

Christie Houser has a story to tell & if your a goalie it's worth the read.

Comments? Our own pre-season summit? Great topic...
    Last edited by 5 4 Fighting; 08-24-2010, 11:53 PM. Reason: forgot to hit spell chick...

Comment

You may be surprised by how many players have found there way to Eurpoe to play in a variety of leagues. Last year, Kiira Dosdall; Colgate'09 and Sam Hunt; Colgate'09 played for Vienna, Austria in the EWHL. Both were named to the EWHL All star team. A total of five players from the league were selected for the all star team. There was a story on them on the ECAC website. Also, Elyse Cole and Trudy Reynes ; both Quinnipiac players played for Salzburg, Austria; also in the EWHL. They had quite a rivalry in Austria. Salzburg finished second in the EWHL and Vienna finished third, but Vienna beat Salzburg for the Austrian National Championship. I believe that Dosdall and Hunt are both returning to Vienna for their second season. Also last year, Carson Duggan, St. Lawrence and Julia Bronson, Dartmouth played for a team in Prague, Czech Republic. Kate Wolgemouth, Colgate '08 is playing for Prague this year. Former Ct. Polar Bear and UConn standout, Jacklyn Hawkins played last year for a team in Zurich, Switzerland. Finally, Marley MacMillan, Dartmouth '09 is playing in Salzburg this year.
      It must be a blast to continue playing for the pure love of the game....no school pressure etc. Ahhhhh, to be 25 years younger!

Comment

That website that is referenced by 5 4 Fighting is great! So many good stories, blogs etc.....looks like it is pretty new and fresh. Several of the players I referenced (Kiira Dosdall and Sam Hunt) have blogs going on...I am going to follow this site. Good contacts for other players considering this option after college.

Comment

Its nice to see that some of these ladies are able to find a career in hockey even after college.
          Its just a shame that there isnt a WNHL. A lot of these ladies are really great players and IMO deserve their own league.
          A Badger living in Buckeye country.
          Originally posted by MadCityRich
          He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
          Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
          Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
          Originally posted by Timothy A
          I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
          "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Comment

There's also the Canadian Women's Hockey League and the Western Women's Hockey League.

Comment

Originally posted by JosephPSchmoe View Post
              There's also the Canadian Women's Hockey League and the Western Women's Hockey League.
              Both the CWHL & WWHL can be found under "Hockey Opportunities."

Comment

Anybody know if there is any money in it, or what the compensation is?

Comment

Originally posted by CanHockGuy View Post
                  Anybody know if there is any money in it, or what the compensation is?
                  There isn't a lot of dough in it...but Salzburg, Vienna, Munich, Praha...I've been fortunate enough to have been to them all & well....Priceless.

If you peel another layer off this and what goes unnoticed here is by going over there we are spreading the game of Hockey. The locals have an opportunity to play with high calibre imports and they learn quick.

The next challenge is to get these female overseas teams and players doing more in their communities with learn to skate/learn to play camps, stick handling/power skating, conditioning, tactics... the whole enchilada. This creates interest in the game, more girls join, development continues, better players are developed, competitive National Teams are produced....

Hockey & it's progression over time has always been about the grassroots. I don't have to sit around a Summit to figure that out.

I mean how many rinks are in Dallas, Texas now?

Comment

Originally posted by 5 4 Fighting View Post
                    There isn't a lot of dough in it...but Salzburg, Vienna, Munich, Praha...I've been fortunate enough to have been to them all & well....Priceless.

If you peel another layer off this and what goes unnoticed here is by going over there we are spreading the game of Hockey. The locals have an opportunity to play with high calibre imports and they learn quick.

The next challenge is to get these female overseas teams and players doing more in their communities with learn to skate/learn to play camps, stick handling/power skating, conditioning, tactics... the whole enchilada. This creates interest in the game, more girls join, development continues, better players are developed, competitive National Teams are produced....

Hockey & it's progression over time has always been about the grassroots. I don't have to sit around a Summit to figure that out.

I mean how many rinks are in Dallas, Texas now?
                    It's funny though, how they can't plant their own grass, cold countries and all. The NA kids can sure lend a hand. Are they getting many in to watch the games? Can you drink beer while yer watchin?

Comment

It's funny though, how they can't plant their own grass, cold countries and all. The NA kids can sure lend a hand. Are they getting many in to watch the games? Can you drink beer while yer watchin?
                      I'm hearing they are getting the same crowds as some D1 schools...which isn't sayin much but attendance levels are getting stronger...in Europe I mean.

I believe in some of those countries you can drink beer while your playing...

Who planted the grass in Dallas?

Comment

I'm hearing they are getting the same crowds as some D1 schools...which isn't sayin much but attendance levels are getting stronger...in Europe I mean.

I believe in some of those countries you can drink beer while your playing...

Who planted the grass in Dallas?
                        Mike Modano?

Comment

Mike Modano?
                          Certainly he, Nieuwendyk, Brett Hull and a few others had something to do with the games growth there however it was Roger Staubach that ultimately convinced Norm Green and the NHL to move the North Stars to Dallas in 1993...much to the chagrin of many a Minnesotan.
                          Last edited by 5 4 Fighting; 08-25-2010, 07:26 PM. Reason: Nieuwendyk is hard to get right...

Comment

Certainly he, Nieuwendyk, Brett Hull and a few others had something to do with the games growth there however it was Roger Staubach that ultimately convinced Norm Green and the NHL to move the North Stars to Dallas in 1993...much to the chagrin of many a Minnesotan.
                            Don't forget Eddie the Eagle. He sure didn't hurt the after game establishment bottom line. Funny guy Eddie.

Comment

Don't forget Eddie the Eagle. He sure didn't hurt the after game establishment bottom line. Funny guy Eddie.
                              Eddie...the pride of the Carmen Beavers...Carman, Manitoba, Canada.

Comment

Working...
                              X