X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: University of North Dakota, version 2.0

Originally posted by jk View Post
    I've avoided comment because I don't want to seem insensitive, as I wish Martin only the best. I'll be thrilled if he scores a goal against UND next year. That said, while I understand the league suspension given the result, I've seen asked the question of whether the school would extend the suspension. I can't imagine why they would. Except for DU fans (very understandably) and another group that has an axe to grind about UND, the vast majority of the hockey world views Malone's hit as a hard physical non-dirty hockey play that had a devastating and extremely unfortunate result. Examples of this view would be the NHL players who voiced their opinions in the Denver Post, and the TSN NHL analysts who reviewed the play on air and reached the same conclusion. One observer was quoted as saying: “It was a physical game like most of the games in this league. But it was not malicious. It was not an attempt to injure. It was not dirty, but certainly there was contact with the head, which is a penalty in the rule books nowadays.” I didn't say that quote, but I agree with it. And to me that doesn't sound like an action worthy of an extended suspension.

This is in contrast to the hits that ended the seasons of Bina and Genoway, which nearly all observers viewed as dangerous and dirty plays with no place in hockey. Best of luck to both Martin and Malone.
    I don't see any reason to extend the suspension. While I saw the hit as a penalty and because of the violent nature of the head contact, it was deserving of a suspension...1 game is fine. In no way is this a malicious hit. I agree 100% with that statement. It was simply a player being aggressive on the forecheck, and the speed of the game prevented him from being able to use more caution in his hit.

Brad Malone is an aggressive and physical player....NOT a cheap player. No axe to grind here...no need to make Malone feel worse than he already feels about it. I think adding games does nothing to help the situation.
    Denver Pioneers - NCAA ICE HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - 1958, 60, 61, 68, 69, 2004, 05, 2017

2016-17 Penrose Cup Champions

YEARS SINCE LAST COLORADO COLLEGE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP - 61...and counting

Chicago Cubs - WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS - 1907, 1908, 2016

Chicago Blackhawks - STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS - 1934, 1938, 1961, 2010, 2013, 2015

Manchester City F.C. - Premier League/First Division Winners - 1937, 1968, 2012, 2014.

RIP Butch

sigpic
    www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
      This might be a tough weekend for UND.
      A very high-scoring UMD offense against a Sioux defense missing two important players, as well as two centers. Our depth up the middle wasn't very good to begin with, so that will be tough.
      We need a strong goaltending performance from Eids/Dell and our offense needs to start cashing in on their chances.
      If we can get a split, I'd be fine with that...
      So apparently I'm the only Sioux fan with a glass half full approach...

Since UMD is the "team to beat" this year, pressure's off and all on them.

I say send 'em home with that much needed reality check. I like our chances. If Bemidji can shut down UMD's offense, so can we.

I'm staying in my bubble of positivity...

Comment

Win Friday! Sweep Saturday!

Comment

Originally posted by sfo19 View Post
          So apparently I'm the only Sioux fan with a glass half full approach...
          I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Sioux are 5-4-1 in their first 10 games, which isn't as good as we were expecting with their talent/experience. That said, their opening schedule has been brutal, and it doesn't get much easier the next two weekends against UW and UNO.
            If they can split (or better) against both of them, I'd be happy.
            I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
              Just to look at it historically, here are our first half records from our championship years...

1999-2000: 14-3-1
              1996-1997: 12-4-2
              1986-1987: 16-6-0 (finished the year an impressive 24-2-0)
              1981-1982: 15-7-0
              1979-1980: 12-4-0
              1962-1963: 7-2-0 (in both '63 and '59, season didn't start until Thanksgiving)
              1958-1959: 5-3-2

Now, compare that with our last 10 years...

2009-2010: 9-6-3
              2008-2009: 9-9-1
              2007-2008: 9-7-1
              2006-2007: 9-10-1
              2005-2006: 13-8-1
              2004-2005: 13-7-2
              2003-2004: 13-2-0
              2002-2003: 18-1-1
              2001-2002: 9-9-1
              2000-2001: 14-4-4

I'd like to think we could put up a decent record in the first half this year with the quality of team that we have. We play 21 games in the first half of the season, and I would think 15-16+ wins in the first half of the year would be a great start, 12-14 would be acceptable, and anything less than 11 would be a disappointment.
              I thought I would revisit this post, as we're halfway through the first half of the year. We're 5-4-1 against a very difficult schedule. That being said, we have a lot of room for improvement. Based on my thoughts from the beginning of the season, we need to win 7 of our next 11 games to have an "acceptable" record given the talent on this team. So let's look at our schedule from here until 2011...

Nov 12/13 - @ Wisconsin: This is going to be a very difficult series. Wisconsin has shown that they are not rebuilding, but reloading. While I think that the Sioux have more talent on paper, Madison is a very difficult place to play. While I could see just about any result coming out of this series, odds are a split. This would put the Sioux at 6-5-1

Nov 19/20 - @ Nebraska-Omaha: UNO has shown that they are here to play and compete. It's their second year under Blais and have shown that they can score, and in bunches...reminds me of some other teams coached by Blais. Saying that, I believe North Dakota has a pretty good edge in talent, and have a good enough D-corps (if they can play up to their talent level) to stop UNO. If we're really as good as we think we are, we should sweep this series. That would put the Sioux at 8-5-1

Nov 26/27 - vs Notre Dame: The Fighting Irish have shown that they can beat anyone (BC) and lose to anyone (Bowling Green). I haven't seen Notre Dame enough to know just how good they are, so this is a difficult series to predict. Given that we are at home, I am inclined to pick a sweep. That would put the Sioux at 10-5-1

Dec 3/4 - vs SCSU: The Huskies have struggled at times, just as the Sioux have. While this series is at home, I can't really see any other result other than a split. That would put the Sioux at 11-6-1

Dec 10/11 - @ Mankato: We're better than Mankato, and should sweep. That would put the Sioux at 13-6-1

Dec 30 - @ Duluth: We go into Duluth right before the end of the year to open up their new arena. I can only imagine that Duluth will be pumped up for this one, and while I certainly think we can win, I have to give the edge to Duluth. That would put the Sioux at 13-7-1

That record is awfully similar to the '04-'05 team and '05-'06 squad. At this point, I'd be pleased with a 13-7-1 record at the halfway point...

Thoughts?
              North Dakota
              National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                I thought I would revisit this post, as we're halfway through the first half of the year. We're 5-4-1 against a very difficult schedule. That being said, we have a lot of room for improvement. Based on my thoughts from the beginning of the season, we need to win 7 of our next 11 games to have an "acceptable" record given the talent on this team. So let's look at our schedule from here until 2011...

Nov 12/13 - @ Wisconsin: This is going to be a very difficult series. Wisconsin has shown that they are not rebuilding, but reloading. While I think that the Sioux have more talent on paper, Madison is a very difficult place to play. While I could see just about any result coming out of this series, odds are a split. This would put the Sioux at 6-5-1

Nov 19/20 - @ Nebraska-Omaha: UNO has shown that they are here to play and compete. It's their second year under Blais and have shown that they can score, and in bunches...reminds me of some other teams coached by Blais. Saying that, I believe North Dakota has a pretty good edge in talent, and have a good enough D-corps (if they can play up to their talent level) to stop UNO. If we're really as good as we think we are, we should sweep this series. That would put the Sioux at 8-5-1

Nov 26/27 - vs Notre Dame: The Fighting Irish have shown that they can beat anyone (BC) and lose to anyone (Bowling Green). I haven't seen Notre Dame enough to know just how good they are, so this is a difficult series to predict. Given that we are at home, I am inclined to pick a sweep. That would put the Sioux at 10-5-1

Dec 3/4 - vs SCSU: The Huskies have struggled at times, just as the Sioux have. While this series is at home, I can't really see any other result other than a split. That would put the Sioux at 11-6-1

Dec 10/11 - @ Mankato: We're better than Mankato, and should sweep. That would put the Sioux at 13-6-1

Dec 30 - @ Duluth: We go into Duluth right before the end of the year to open up their new arena. I can only imagine that Duluth will be pumped up for this one, and while I certainly think we can win, I have to give the edge to Duluth. That would put the Sioux at 13-7-1

That record is awfully similar to the '04-'05 team and '05-'06 squad. At this point, I'd be pleased with a 13-7-1 record at the halfway point...

Thoughts?
                I see it a little different, with a record of 12-8-1 at the end of the first half of the season. I see "split" mode coming - Wisc, UNO and ND. Then sweep SCSU and Mankato, and a loss to UMD. It's frustrating - they are playing well but don't seem to have the ability to hit that higher gear to win a game. And how long can you count on a second half like they have had for a few years?
                Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

I agree, I think we'll be closer to the 12 wins at the end of the 1st half.
                  I don't think that is necessarily horrible though with our brutal 1st half schedule.
                  If you look at the 2nd half, it is much easier, and I could see the Sioux having a good winning streak developed by the time the F5 comes along...

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Earn a split with #2 by dominating friday, and losing a close game (in OT) saturday, and drop a spot in the polls to #10. Yet they stay put at #2. WhoTF makes these polls again? Chimps at the zoo?

Comment

Originally posted by dolan View Post
                      Earn a split with #2 by dominating friday, and losing a close game (in OT) saturday, and drop a spot in the polls to #10. Yet they stay put at #2. WhoTF makes these polls again? Chimps at the zoo?

It would have been a different story if we had done the same thing in Duluth..... remember, polls don't matter unless there is girls spinning on them....

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
                        It would have been a different story if we had done the same thing in Duluth..... remember, polls don't matter unless there is girls spinning on them....
                        So we are expected to sweep everyone and never lose at the Ralph? If a team comes in and squeaks out an OT win then we get penalized for it? Wow, Something isn't right with that.

But agreed with the "polls" part! polls are worthless, but they are fun to discuss and bicker over.

Comment

CHN article on Frattin:

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new..._are_only_.php

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

From Brad:

The World Junior A Challenge has started in Penticton.

USA beat Canada East 6-1 in its opener. Sioux recruit Colten St. Clair had two assists and fellow UND recruit Zane Gothberg stopped 23 of 24 shots in goal. UND recruit Jordan Schmaltz had one assist. Mike Parks and Nick Mattson also are on this team.

Host Canada West, meanwhile, fell to Switzerland 6-5 in overtime. Sioux recruit Mark MacMillan had two goals for Canada West, while Brendan O’Donnell had one assist.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
                              No need to apologize, I can certainly understand why you were upset at some comments.

BTW, I'll be down in Phx permanently starting in about a week or so. Let me know if you're game for meeting up sometime to watch some college hockey.
                              New job, or a transfer with your current company?
                              sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by ecbrevik View Post
                                New job, or a transfer with your current company?
                                A little of both.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X