• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: University of North Dakota, version 2.0

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
    They already do with the Lammy twins.
    No doubt.
    Originally posted by sioux7 View Post
    If it were up to me I would go to Minneapolis even if those scum bags didn't come here. Nobody, I mean nobody, travels like North Dakota fans do and it usaully is a home game for the Sioux in the toilet bowl anyway. Like I said, the BTHC is being created for image only. As usual, they think they are better than everyone else so they have to seperate themselves from other schools that have been playing the gerbs for a long time. Let them go, who cares!
    Absolutely not. It should be a home and home, where both teams get to take in a great gate generated by the other, or nothing at all. While it obviously wouldn't be the historical rivalry we have with Minnesota, we can get any number of "name brand" hockey schools to make a trip to REA in exchange for a trip to their places. Recent years have included Maine, Cornell, Notre Dame, Michigan State, and many others. Getting high level programs to REA for NC games on a home and home system is not a problem.
    sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

I agree... it is a great rivalry but in order to make it work the goofs will have to come to the Ralph.

Comment

Let's not worry about it quite yet. I'm confident the Gophers would travel to GF. Especially when at some point a new coaching staff will be in place and wanting to prove themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by sagard View Post
          Let's not worry about it quite yet. I'm confident the Gophers would travel to GF. Especially when at some point a new coaching staff will be in place and wanting to prove themselves.
          Agreed. One thing that I always thought would be interesting if/when a BTHC forms is a "College Hockey Showcase" each year w/North Dakota, Wisconsin, Minnesota and _________ (SCSU, UMD, DU????). Perhaps turn it into a Holiday Tournament ala the GLI and have it at the X. I'd have to imagine that would be a moneymaker for everyone involved.

Or, just speaking in terms of UND-Minnesota, I would think that each side might be interested in a schedule that included 1 series in GF, 1 at Minnesota and 1 at the X every 3 years. Split the Gate at the X and call it a day.

There are a lot of options out there for the UND-Minnesota rivalry to continue if/when a BTHC forms.
          North Dakota
          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
            I agree... it is a great rivalry but in order to make it work the goofs will have to come to the Ralph.
            True. But in order to be a rivalry, both teams need to be competitive.
            License to kill gofers...From the government of the United Nations. - Carl Spackler, Caddyshack

Comment

Originally posted by Sloe Gin View Post
              one thing to keep in mind here is that Minnesota is a traditional hockey powerhouse. They have an established rivalry with North Dakota that isn't going away regardless of who is in what conference. Minnesota will still get a lot of non-con games and although they like to schedule cupcakes, they know how important the North Dakota rivalry is to the fans and players. Combine that with a share of revenue and I'm not worried about this going away. And even if it does, it's clear to me that the Sioux have developed a better rivalry in the past couple years with Denver then they have with Minnesota anyway.
              Another thing to keep in mind is that Minnesota has refused to schedule any games against the Sioux in other sports due to the PC attitude in Minneapolis. If the Fighting Sioux name wasn't going away and Minnesota joins a BTHC, there would be no rivalry. Since the nickname will be gone next year this shouldn't be a problem.
              Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
                Another thing to keep in mind is that Minnesota has refused to schedule any games against the Sioux in other sports due to the PC attitude in Minneapolis. If the Fighting Sioux name wasn't going away and Minnesota joins a BTHC, there would be no rivalry. Since the nickname will be gone next year this shouldn't be a problem.
                Don't be silly. The nickname would have no effect on the games being played. The Minnesota administration would say UND is a traditional rival or some such thing in hockey and therefore the Gophers can continue to play them. Minnesota made up this rule so they can feel good about themselves, but they are perfectly happy to ignore it when it is convenient for them.
                Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                  Don't be silly. The nickname would have no effect on the games being played. The Minnesota administration would say UND is a traditional rival or some such thing in hockey and therefore the Gophers can continue to play them. Minnesota made up this rule so they can feel good about themselves, but they are perfectly happy to ignore it when it is convenient for them.
                  Truth.

Actually, for the hockey series, they "blamed" contractual obligations that the conference had for exempting the hockey series in the stupid PC ruling.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

No, you are wrong.
                    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

*****http://img.***********.com/albums/v406/aheili30/siouxsigSMALL.gif******
                      Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                        Truth.

Actually, for the hockey series, they "blamed" contractual obligations that the conference had for exempting the hockey series in the stupid PC ruling.
                        We will never have the chance to see how true to their PC principles the UMTC admin will be since the nickname will be resolved before the BTHC comes into being. But why are you so quick to think that they wouldn't actually follow through? In spite of the coach saying that UND is their main rival, the fans seem to think that bucky is their main rival. So why wouldn't the admin hold to their PC principles? Oh, did I miss the money part? Oops.

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                        No, you are wrong.
                        Happy is right?
                        Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                          No, you are wrong.
                          Yes, when you explain it that way I totally see your point.
                          License to kill gofers...From the government of the United Nations. - Carl Spackler, Caddyshack

Comment

6 more days tell the quest for # 8 beings.... LETS GO FIGHTING SIOUX!!!!
                            time to start kicking *** and taking names!!!
                            Fighting Sioux Hockey

Waiting the arrival of the ZANE!!!!!

Superman Wears Evan Trupp pj's to bed!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Blackheart View Post
                              True. But in order to be a rivalry, both teams need to be competitive.
                              Minnesota will be competative again, I have no doubt of that. It's just a question of when.
                              sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

UND is ranked #2 in the USA Today pre-season poll:

1. Boston College
                                2. North Dakota
                                3. Miami
                                4. Michigan
                                5. Yale
                                6. St. Cloud State
                                7. Maine
                                8. New Hampshire
                                9. Minnesota-Duluth
                                10. Cornell
                                11. Denver
                                12. Alaska-Fairbanks
                                13. Wisconsin
                                14. Boston University
                                15. Minnesota
                                http://undhockey.areavoices.com/2010...l-poll-is-out/
                                I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X