This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yale Hockey 2010-2011 thread

Now that Yale has officially announced their schedule and Class of 2014, I believe it is appropriate to move out of the off season forum and into the new season. Here is what I have gleaned, sorry for the length.

Men's Hockey Class of 2014 Announced

5 New Players Joining Squad

NEW HAVEN, Conn. - The Yale men's hockey team has added four new forwards and one defenseman to help in its defense of the ECAC Hockey regular season championship. The Bulldogs, who graduated two forwards, two blueliners and a goalie, seek a third straight league regular season title.

All five of the class of 2014 student-athletes competed in the Northeast during 2009-10. Three of the new Elis played in the juniors (Eastern, North Atlantic) last winter while two come to Yale from New England prep schools.

"We are very excited about our incoming class. Kyle [Wallack] and Dan [Muse] have worked hard to recruit a group of extremely competitive people, student-athletes who understand the commitment necessary to be successful at Yale. Each of these players brings something special to our program and will battle hard to be contributing members of our team," said Keith Allain '80, Yale's Malcolm G. Chace Head Coach of Hockey.

The Bulldogs are coming off a pair of 20-win seasons, consecutive ECAC Regular Season Championships and an NCAA Tournament win last March.

YALE MEN'S HOCKEY CLASS OF 2014

Kenny Agostino

F

5-11, 195 Flanders, NJ

At Delbarton School: School's all-time leading scorer with 261 points over three seasons… Two-time New Jersey Player of the Year… Three-time first-team all-state selection… Played on three state championship teams… 2009-10 team was ranked No. 2 nationally… Had 23-11-34 for the New Jersey Colonials in the Atlantic Youth Hockey League in the fall of 2009… Personal: Kenneth Tyler Agostino is the son of Anne and Ken Agostino... Drafted in the fifth round (140th overall) of the 2010 NHL Draft by Pittsburgh.

Clinton Bourbonais

F

5-11, 180 Colchester, CT

At Orchard Lake St. Mary's Prep: Played three years of high school hockey… Two-time all-state… All-region junior year… Two-time state champions… Three-time regional champions… Scored GWG in double overtime of state semifinal against East Kentwood junior year… Played WR and CB for football team… Pitcher and shortstop for baseball squad… Student of the month… Student of the year nominee… Graduated summa cum laude and received the presidents education award… In the NAHL: Won a 2008-09 junior hockey national championship playing for the St. Louis Bandits… scored the game winning goal in double overtime of the NAHL championship game… Personal: Clinton Bourbonais is the son of Christine and Frank Bourbonais… Interested in becoming a biomedical engineer so he can work on producing prosthetic appendages that will work with nervous systems and allow natural movement… High school rival of current teammate Andrew Miller and former teammate of Union's Keith Kinkaid.

Brad Peltz (in photo)

F

6-0, 182 Mount Kisco, NY

At Avon Old Farms: Played varsity hockey for four seasons… Captained 2008-09 team… Earnest and Persistant Award… Yale Book Award… Order of Old Farms… In the EJHL: Scored 19 goals and had 34 points in 45 games for the Jr. Bruins in 2009-10… Selected by Ottawa Senators (190th) in 2009 NHL Entry Draft.. Personal: Bradley G. Peltz is the son of Claudia and Nelson Peltz… Brother, Matthew, is Yale '06… Enjoys flying planes.

Jesse Root

F

6-0, 185 Pittsburgh, PA

At Taft School: Played four seasons and was one of three captains for 2008-09 season… Led team with 36 points in 27 games playing center… Founders League All-Star… Team made 2009 New England Quarterfinal playoffs… Named No. 2 long-stick midfielder in New England lacrosse… Western NE All-Division I lacrosse team… Taft Honor Roll for three years… National AP Scholar… In EJHL: Tallied 44 points in 41 games and led Jr. Bruins with seven game-winning goals… Played on playoff semifinalist… Personal: Jesse Bond Root is the son of Kathy and David Root… Cousin of pro football hall of famer Dan Marino… Grandfather, Russell "Lefty" Foster played baseball in the Phillies' organization and was a B-26 gunner in WWII… Played on 2006 state championship Mt. Lebanon High School (Pittsburgh) team before going to Taft.

Gus Young

D

6-2, 200 Dedham, MA

At Noble and Greenough School: Two-time captain and four-year letterman… Had 12 goals and 38 points in 28 games in 2009-10… Led all prep school defensemen in scoring as a senior… Team won ISL and was New England Prep School semi-finalists… Went 5-29-34 (29 GP) in 2008-09… Drafted by the Colorado Avalanche (184th) in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft… All-ISL junior and senior seasons… 2009-10 All-New England… Honorable mention All-ISL sophomore year… All-ISL lacrosse player who captained team senior year and earned four letters… Personal: Brendan Gus Young is the son of Lorrie and Kevin Young… Father played football, lacrosse and wrestled at Dartmouth… Brother, Seamus, played hockey at Princeton (2006)and then two years in the pros… Brother, Colin, plays hockey at Babson College (2012).

filed by Steve Conn, Yale Sports Publicity Director

Yale Schedule 2010-2011

Date Opponent Notes Result Time/Status Links
    Oct. 22 TBD Scrimmage 4:00 PM
    Oct. 23 TBD 4:00 PM
    Oct. 29 Brown Ivy Shootout 7:00 PM
    Oct. 30 TBD Ivy Shootout 7:00 PM
    Nov. 5 Princeton * 7:00 PM
    Nov. 6 Quinnipiac * 7:00 PM
    Nov. 13 at Colorado Col. TBA
    Nov. 14 at Air Force 8:05 PM
    Nov. 19 at Cornell * 7:00 PM
    Nov. 20 at Colgate * 7:00 PM
    Nov. 23 Sacred Heart 7:00 PM
    Dec. 3 Rensselaer * TBA
    Dec. 4 Union * 7:00 PM
    Dec. 8 Vermont 7:00 PM
    Jan. 2 Holy Cross 4:00 PM
    Jan. 7 at Dartmouth * TBA
    Jan. 8 at Harvard * 7:00 PM
    Jan. 15 Brown * 4:00 PM
    Jan. 16 at Brown * 4:00 PM
    Jan. 21 Clarkson * 7:00 PM
    Jan. 22 St. Lawrence * TBA
    Jan. 28 at Union * 7:00 PM
    Jan. 29 at Rensselaer * 7:00 PM
    Feb. 4 Harvard * 7:00 PM
    Feb. 5 Dartmouth * TBA
    Feb. 11 at St. Lawrence * TBA
    Feb. 12 at Clarkson * 7:00 PM
    Feb. 18 at Quinnipiac * 7:00 PM
    Feb. 19 at Princeton * TBA
    Feb. 25 Colgate * TBA
    Feb. 26 Cornell * 7:30 PM
    Home games in bold.
    * = Conference games.

Roster

2010-11 Yale Men's Ice Hockey Roster
    No. Name Pos. Cl. Sh. Ht. Wt. Hometown/High School
    Kenny Agostino F Fr. 5-11 195 Flanders, NJ /Delbarton School
    44 Jeff Anderson F Sr. 6-2 205 Port Coquitlam, B.C. /Cowichan (BCJHL)
    8 Josh Balch F So. 5-9 180 Wilmette, IL /Desmoines, Chicago (USHL)
    Clinton Bourbonais F Fr. 5-11 180 Colchester, CT /Orchard Lake St. Mary's Prep
    11 Charles Brockett F Jr. 5-8 170 Shaker Heights, OH /Ohio Jr. Blue Jackets (USHL)
    21 Colin Dueck D So. 6-2 210 Calgary, Alberta /Nanaimo (BCJHL)
    6 Jesse Hudkins D So. 6-1 205 Calgary, Alberta /Okotoks (AJHL)
    5 Nick Jaskowiak D Jr. 5-10 190 Bloomington, MN /Tri-city Storm (USHL)
    19 Denny Kearney F Sr. 6-1 192 Hanover, NH /New Hampshire (EJHL)
    28 Antoine Laganiere F So. 6-4 190 Ile Cadieux, Quebec /Deerfield Academy
    10 Kevin Limbert F Jr. 5-9 174 Fruitvale, BC /Trail Smoke Eaters (BCHL)
    14 Broc Little F Sr. 5-9 165 Rindge, NH /Cushing Academy
    33 Jeff Malcolm G So. 6-2 179 Lethbridge, AB /Quesnel Millionaires
    31 Nick Maricic G So. 6-2 210 Alta Loma, CA /Tri-City (USHL)
    2 Jimmy Martin D Sr. 5-9 185 St. Louis, MO /Des Moines (USHL)
    22 Brendan Mason F Sr. 5-11 185 Nanaimo, BC /Nanaimo (BCJHL)
    7 Mike Matczak D Sr. 6-0 195 Sewell, NJ /Milton Academy
    17 Andrew Miller F So. 5-9 165 Bloomfield Hills, MI /Chicago (USHL)
    9 Brian O'Neill F Jr. 5-9 165 Yardley, PA /Chicago Steel (USHL)
    3 Dan Otto F Jr. 5-8 175 Lake Zurich, IL /Chicago Steel (USHL)
    23 Kevin Peel D Jr. 5-9 165 Onoway, AB /Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL)
    Brad Peltz F Fr. 6-0 182 Mount Kisco, NY /Avon Old Farms
    1 Ryan Rondeau G Sr. 180 Carvel, Alberta /Waterloo (USHL)
    Jesse Root F Fr. 6-0 185 Pittsburgh, PA /Taft School
    12 Ken Trentowski D Sr. 6-1 195 Ronkonkoma, NY /Avon Old Farms
    Gus Young D Fr. 6-2 200 Dedham, MA /Noble and Greenough
    59 Chad Ziegler F Jr. 6-2 195 Spruce Grove, AB /Nanaimo Clippers BCJHL

Head Coach: Keith Allain '80 (5th year)
    Assistant Coaches: Kyle Wallack, Eric Lind, Dan Muse
    Trainer: Rich Kaplan

2010-11 Captain: Jimmy Martin '11
    YALE HOCKEY
    2013 National Champions

Re: Yale Hockey 2010-2011 thread

Yale looks to be a strong force in college hockey again! I enjoy watching them play!

Comment

I think offensively, despite the losses, we should still be very strong. Defensively is a huge question though. D on last years team was pretty weak against good opponents and the best two players from that unit are gone. Hopefully, this Gus Young kid will be a good player. Also, somebody seriously needs to step up between the pipes. My guess is that Maricic or Malcolm will win the job. If a goalie can have a big year, it will really cover up weaknesses in the D, like Alec Richards' play did in his senior year.
      Yale Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by yalebulldogfan View Post
        I think offensively, despite the losses, we should still be very strong. Defensively is a huge question though. D on last years team was pretty weak against good opponents and the best two players from that unit are gone. Hopefully, this Gus Young kid will be a good player. Also, somebody seriously needs to step up between the pipes. My guess is that Maricic or Malcolm will win the job. If a goalie can have a big year, it will really cover up weaknesses in the D, like Alec Richards' play did in his senior year.
        I don't think your giving the Yale defensemen from last years squad as much credit as they deserve. I think that the depth on defense last year was very, very good. We had many great puck moving defensemen. We spent very little time in our defensive zone because of the abilities of players like Martin, Peel, Dignard, Donald to move the breakout. I think its more a matter of the style of play. The team plays very aggressively.
        Yale Hockey '09 ECAC Champions

Comment

Chris Cahill is also returning this year.

Comment

Yale's big strength is up front. They are powerful on the attack. Sean Bachman was a great player. But looks like they will still be a force next season.

Comment

Originally posted by yhforlife View Post
              I don't think your giving the Yale defensemen from last years squad as much credit as they deserve. I think that the depth on defense last year was very, very good. We had many great puck moving defensemen. We spent very little time in our defensive zone because of the abilities of players like Martin, Peel, Dignard, Donald to move the breakout. I think its more a matter of the style of play. The team plays very aggressively.
              I think the problem is an overly aggressive offensive system and poor backchecking from the forwards that led to so many odd man rushes the other way against us. Granted, none of the goaltenders were particularly stunning last season, but I think there needs to be a focus on forward defensively play this season.
              Dog Lover: Terriers and Bulldogs
              Boston University '06/'08
              Yale University '13

Comment

Originally posted by Stories View Post
                I think the problem is an overly aggressive offensive system and poor backchecking from the forwards that led to so many odd man rushes the other way against us. Granted, none of the goaltenders were particularly stunning last season, but I think there needs to be a focus on forward defensively play this season.
                offensive hockey is more exciting, gotta love the run and gun style of play. Yales D is decent, not sure why anyone would say otherwise but thier strength is in their guns up front. And they have great coaching.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Papa View Post
                  offensive hockey is more exciting, gotta love the run and gun style of play. Yales D is decent, not sure why anyone would say otherwise but thier strength is in their guns up front. And they have great coaching.
                  Yup. Yale plays the way Harvard used to. There is not a better style of hockey to watch!

Comment

Originally posted by yhforlife View Post
                    I'm not saying that Yale is horrible defensively. The unit has many players like Peel who are excellent offensive d-men. I just believe they are lacking (outside of Donald from last year) big, stay at home defensemen and this can really hurt against strong opponents (like BC last year).
                    Yale Hockey

Comment

I think Yale's defense is good against the clutch and grab game which is probably why you were able to take points away from most of the ECAC teams last year. The team gets exposed when they have to play the speedy teams (Boston College, RPI). Also, one big gaping hole I saw: goaltending. Not that I'm complaining, of course.

Don't get me wrong, I am definitely very happy to see another team that plays a European style of hockey with finesse and grace. Best of luck this year... in 20 of your 22 league games.

Comment

I am pretty interested to see if any of the freshmen forwards can earn a roster spot this year. Really Yale returns every forward (except Arcobello) that played in the NCAAs last year. Not to mention they recruited a pretty good class.

I'm also interested to see who plays with Martin now that Donald has graduated.
                        Yale Hockey '09 ECAC Champions

Comment

Red Cloud's Yale preview http://www.withoutapeer.com/2010/08/...nemy-yale.html
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Yale just landed a new recruit for either 11 or 12. UNH was all over him, kids a great player and a great kid. Will be out next week early.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                              Yale just landed a new recruit for either 11 or 12. UNH was all over him, kids a great player and a great kid. Will be out next week early.
                              Not too often that Yale and UNH go after the same kids given the academic disparity between the two schools. Was Harvard in the mix?

Comment

Working...
                              X