Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: hockey major?

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
    I started this thread with no "problem" in mind, but a curiosity about the academic careers of college hockey players at various institutions. At first several posters commented on the academic aspirations and achievements of their favorite teams and players. No problem here, quite the opposite. It's great to hear about hockey players who are successful in both athletics and academics, and great to hear about the hockey programs which attract and nurture student athletes.
    I'm surious why you would think a message board about hockey that many (if any) of us would REALLY know much about how hockey players do in school. And even if people did know, how much they will or should divulge.

It wasn't long before I was accused of starting this thread in order to attack college hockey because I "think" all the players are dummies. Look back and see. I did have a problem with this lousy job of mind reading and scurrilous attack on my motives. I predicted that the great majority of college hockey players will rely upon their mental (academic) skills than their athletic (hockey) skills in their careers, so more discussion of the contributions of hockey programs to academic achievement would be welcome. More mind-reading and straw-man whupping quickly followed. Look back and see, and decide who owns the problem.
    You got that rep for your comments in other threads by commenting about the NCAA minimums and your seeming belief that the more successful schools are just meeting that minimum. Based on this, you titled this thread "hockey majors". With your past history, it was thought that you presumed that hockey players had "hockey majors" - not that you were wondering about what hockey player's majors were.

And for your last point, as hockey fans and not members of academia, it's not really much of a concern to many of us what hockey brings to the academic side. But you probably found that out by now that this is not anything that we are knowledgeable about or really care about. And all your posts to try and get us to care are really just blowing in the wind.
    2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
    2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2010 Frozen Four participant
    2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

There are more straw men being created here than in every cornfield in Iowa.

Facts are stubborn things. They remain facts even if you don't care for them. It is a fact that a tiny percentage of college hockey players make a career out of hockey, but most choose a career related to their major course of study in college. It is a fact that, for better or worse, there is always an interaction between academic programs and athletic programs in colleges. [These facts apply to both women's and men's athletic programs.] It is a fact that for the vast majority of college hockey players their academic success will greatly outweigh the importance of their athletic success.

It seems that stating these facts and discussing them makes some putative college hockey fans uncomfortable. Too bad.
      This part of the forum is to discuss Division 1 Men's Hockey....and whatever the Tech fans are hearing out of the Paint Store. Education is discussed over in the Cafe.

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
      Your comment about their academic success is more important than their hockey success is I would venture to be very accurate. The problem is that you seem to be indicate that there is a problem someplace, and nobody else is seeing it. So What exactly IS your point? That we don't care about the academic success of the players?
      He's an Ivy academic elitist. Probably mad that his school (my guess is Cornell) hasn't won more national titles because "inferior" schools such as mine aren't as difficult academically and get better recruits. So he makes up this problem that the kids at these "inferior" schools don't care about school at all and just care about hockey despite being shown quite a bit of evidence to the contrary and seems to be insulted that some of them take the money after a couple years to do their job.

In short. It's seems like sour grapes to me.
      Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
      Originally posted by Quizmire
      mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
      MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
      MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
      I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
        He's an Ivy academic elitist. Probably mad that his school (my guess is Cornell) hasn't won more national titles because "inferior" schools such as mine aren't as difficult academically and get better recruits. So he makes up this problem that the kids at these "inferior" schools don't care about school at all and just care about hockey despite being shown quite a bit of evidence to the contrary and seems to be insulted that some of them take the money after a couple years to do their job.

If the players want to major in something wholly useless that's on them.

At least he's stopped suggesting that either the sport or the schools are at risk because of the players.
        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
        Skating Friar Jersey
        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
          This part of the forum is to discuss Division 1 Men's Hockey....and whatever the Tech fans are hearing out of the Paint Store. Education is discussed over in the Cafe.

Wow! I seem to have stumbled upon a whole nest of mind reading savants!
          Maybe there's a simpler explanation. Maybe they can't come up with an acceptable argument for trivializing the academic aspirations and achievements of college athletes (hockey players), so they make up things they wish I had thought or said and scorn these imagined words and thoughts. Or maybe . . .
          Hey! This bogus mind reading kinda fun - absolutely pointless and useless, but kinda fun.

Comment

Maybe there's a simpler explanation. Maybe they can't come up with an acceptable argument for trivializing the academic aspirations and achievements of college athletes (hockey players), so they make up things they wish I had thought or said and scorn these imagined words and thoughts. Or maybe . . .
            Hey! This bogus mind reading kinda fun - absolutely pointless and useless, but kinda fun.
            So, refute it....
            Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
            Originally posted by Quizmire
            mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
            MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
            MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
            I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

At Colgate, I've heard that recently it is sociology and believe it or not economics and pre-med.
              Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

Maybe there's a simpler explanation. Maybe they can't come up with an acceptable argument for trivializing the academic aspirations and achievements of college athletes (hockey players),
                Or maybe there is an even simpler explanation... This is a forum about COLLEGE HOCKEY, not about college and hockey or about college as it relates to hockey but rather college hockey.

Moreover, if you were simply interested in what majors hockey players were signed up for you could have just looked it up. But that wasn't the case, you hoped to bring up a discussion of players taking easy course, and that maybe mind reading but those pesky facts that you insist on in other threads make it more like a hypothesis rather just "mind reading."

If you wish to check on majors here is the UVM roster, clicking on a player reveals their choice of major.
                http://www.uvm.edu/~sportspr/mens_ho...age=roster.php
                Originally posted by Hokydad
                Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Maybe there's a simpler explanation. Maybe they can't come up with an acceptable argument for trivializing the academic aspirations and achievements of college athletes (hockey players),
                  OR maybe even this simpler reason - we DON'T CARE about the academic aspirations and achievements of college athletes.
                  2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                  2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                  2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                  2010 Frozen Four participant
                  2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                    Or maybe there is an even simpler explanation... This is a forum about COLLEGE HOCKEY, not about college and hockey or about college as it relates to hockey but rather college hockey.

Moreover, if you were simply interested in what majors hockey players were signed up for you could have just looked it up. But that wasn't the case, you hoped to bring up a discussion of players taking easy course, and that maybe mind reading but those pesky facts that you insist on in other threads make it more like a hypothesis rather just "mind reading."

If you wish to check on majors here is the UVM roster, clicking on a player reveals their choice of major.
                    http://www.uvm.edu/~sportspr/mens_ho...age=roster.php

"You hoped," "You thought," "Your rep" - Note that these ideas all originated in someone else's mind and words, not in my mind or my words.

Perhaps the academic success of hockey schools and hockey players does bore you. Too bad, but you can always butt out and avoid this discussion. Leave the discussion to those who are interested in the academic success and future of (DI Men's) hockey colleges and hockey players. Don't try to deny others a chance to discuss their hockey interests. A dog in the manger is a miserable critter.

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                      OR maybe even this simpler reason - we DON'T CARE about the academic aspirations and achievements of college athletes.
                      and, of course, the players have privacy, as such, their academic records, like obama's, are not open to our view. since, we, as fans, can not see the grades, we cannot actually discuss them. I think Osorojo should take a hike, and go here: http://www.arguewitheveryone.com/
                      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                      Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                        and, of course, the players have privacy, as such, their academic records, like obama's, are not open to our view. since, we, as fans, can not see the grades, we cannot actually discuss them. I think Osorojo should take a hike, and go here: http://www.arguewitheveryone.com/
                        Hey, Hap, we can see the dean's lists. Is it okay to talk about student athletes who are exceptional students as well as athletes? Do we have permission to discuss hockey colleges that maintain academic excellence, or must we stifle such conversations because somebody might feel like something the cat drug in?
                        When hockey schools with low academic expectations or high dropout rates are mentioned the wailing and gnashing of teeth is great on this site. If it is forbidden to discuss academic failure in hockey colleges or to celebrate academic success in hockey colleges what's left, a spirited chat about mediocrity? Perhaps that would quiet the howls of the dogs in the manger.

Comment

Do we have permission to discuss hockey colleges that maintain academic excellence, or must we stifle such conversations because somebody might feel like something the cat drug in?
                          Is this your goal?

Your cute insult reveals your pedigree. I'm guessing you played without a helmet or a face mask. They would have been a waste of money.
                          Anyway, call it what you like. I guess it's ok because you seem to be quite impressed with yourself no matter what...
                          Originally posted by vizoroo
                          Thought you had picked the avatar so we could id you. Guess he fooled me too.
                          Originally posted by duper
                          I obviously missed it, but it sounds like some idiot from CC took trolling to a whole new, totally inappropriate level.

I was well over the borderline. I figured I would meet you on your turf.
                          Every time you post like an *******, I want to quote the idiotic comment you made where you claim not to be a troll. You're such a dick.
                          Originally posted by dggoddard
                          Finally you made me laugh.

There may be hope for you yet.

Comment

Perhaps the academic success of hockey schools and hockey players does bore you. Too bad, but you can always butt out and avoid this discussion. Leave the discussion to those who are interested in the academic success and future of (DI Men's) hockey colleges and hockey players.
                            *****http://eagleoutsider.com/phpbb/images/smilies/ohno.gif******

I could but you would be here arguing with yourself...because everyone else is hear to discuss hockey...played by college students. No one comes here (other then you) to discuss college with regards to hockey players. Why can't you understand that the "college" in college hockey is an adjective and not a freaking noun. Go to some other user forum that wishes to discuss academics...

Actually after searching for one for you I found none exisited Looks like not only are your the only one that gives a crap here, but in the whole world wide web too.
                            Originally posted by Hokydad
                            Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Hey, Hap, we can see the dean's lists. Is it okay to talk about student athletes who are exceptional students as well as athletes? Do we have permission to discuss hockey colleges that maintain academic excellence, or must we stifle such conversations because somebody might feel like something the cat drug in?
                              When hockey schools with low academic expectations or high dropout rates are mentioned the wailing and gnashing of teeth is great on this site. If it is forbidden to discuss academic failure in hockey colleges or to celebrate academic success in hockey colleges what's left, a spirited chat about mediocrity? Perhaps that would quiet the howls of the dogs in the manger.
                              Tell you what, why don't you search the dean's list, and start a blog on how well every student athlete is doing. I think it would be a great idea, and then you could post your results back here in a year or two.
                              XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                              Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

All of a sudden this thread has become much more entertaining.

Comment

Working...
                                X