Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: hockey major?

Originally posted by Big Papa View Post
    Its hard to pin down what is most popular with students but its safe to say that a lot of students make sure they take courses that allow them the flexibility to remain mentally prepared for the rigours of the hockey program they are in.
    Big Papa, you make a good point about hockey players protecting their mental flexibility by careful course selection. This is also true of students with highly active social lives, students who are heirs to large estates, and other categories of students as well.
    Fewer than 1% of college hockey players make it to the NHL, and fewer yet make a career in pro hockey. Hopefully the "flexibility" sought by college hockey players extends to a fallback career outside professional hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
      Fewer than 1% of college hockey players make it to the NHL, and fewer yet make a career in pro hockey. Hopefully the "flexibility" sought by college hockey players extends to a fallback career outside professional hockey.
      I would think more college hockey kids make a "career" in pro hockey than make it to the NHL...especially considering all of the pro leagues around the world.
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

I believe most schools post what the player's major is. I know RIT had a bunch of differant majors.
        2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
        2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
        2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
        2010 Frozen Four participant
        2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
          I believe most schools post what the player's major is. I know RIT had a bunch of differant majors.
          Yeah, if its not on the main roster it's usually under the player bios.

A strong focus on academics as well as athletics is what separates college hockey from Major Jr hockey. I think in general athletes pick majors that can be completed in a 3.5-4 yr time frame and not majors like engineering, architecture, and pre-med that require graduate studies. Getting a solid degree in 4 yrs leaves the option open to play professionally after without having to go back in 5-10 years after a career in minor hockey to finish an advanced degree. Although even with business, communications and management degrees, some players do play professionally for a few years after college then go back to graduate school.

Comment

Big Papa, you make a good point about hockey players protecting their mental flexibility by careful course selection. This is also true of students with highly active social lives, students who are heirs to large estates, and other categories of students as well.
            Oddly enough, they do. Many of these guys don't have high visionary aspirations beyond hockey. Maybe that's the lowered expectations of their family.

Of course this is all about your saw about schools admitting less than normal college students... otherwise you wouldn't give a **** if they all ended up in the math program.

That being said, if the player wasn't a party-every-weekend screw up I'd consider a hockey player as better than his peers within major as time management is a big skill for those athletes playing a sport... especially hockey.

Nevertheless, the opportunity is provided to them... its up to them to turn that into gold.
            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
            Skating Friar Jersey
            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
              Oddly enough, they do. Many of these guys don't have high visionary aspirations beyond hockey. Maybe that's the lowered expectations of their family.

Of course this is all about your saw about schools admitting less than normal college students... otherwise you wouldn't give a **** if they all ended up in the math program.

That being said, if the player wasn't a party-every-weekend screw up I'd consider a hockey player as better than his peers within major as time management is a big skill for those athletes playing a sport... especially hockey.

Nevertheless, the opportunity is provided to them... its up to them to turn that into gold.
              Patman: I see you confidently state what I'm thinking and why?! Although this site is called "U.S. College Hockey" posters spend 99+% of the time discussing hockey and hardly mention the "college" component. I could have slogged through the bios of every college team to determine players' majors, but I copped out and asked the fans instead. Note that some fans take a healthy pride in the academic achievements of their favorite college hockey players.

Yes, the question I asked deliberately reminds fans about the facts of life after college hockey. I'm not ashamed of doing so.

Comment

I know a couple Bemidji State women's players from a couple years ago are in or just finished med school(one at Minnesota, one at Dartmouth). I want to say they were chemistry and biology majors.

Comment

Patman: I see you confidently state what I'm thinking and why?! Although this site is called "U.S. College Hockey" posters spend 99+% of the time discussing hockey and hardly mention the "college" component.

Ummm, because it is "college hockey" not "college academics." I can see the confusion for you, two words college and hockey, but your failure is realizing that "college" describes the sport, and isn't being used as an independent word.

Nice try at working into your argument that all college hockey players are wastes of scholarship money, and a special kudos to the choice of title : College Major. Fitting after your previous rant on just affliating a Major Junior program with colleges.

Now give it up, college hockey is not college football or college basketball.
                  Originally posted by Hokydad
                  Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Patman: I see you confidently state what I'm thinking and why?! Although this site is called "U.S. College Hockey" posters spend 99+% of the time discussing hockey and hardly mention the "college" component. I could have slogged through the bios of every college team to determine players' majors, but I copped out and asked the fans instead. Note that some fans take a healthy pride in the academic achievements of their favorite college hockey players.

Yes, the question I asked deliberately reminds fans about the facts of life after college hockey. I'm not ashamed of doing so.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueywqUBW3oM

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                      Ummm, because it is "college hockey" not "college academics." I can see the confusion for you, two words college and hockey, but your failure is realizing that "college" describes the sport, and isn't being used as an independent word.

Nice try at working into your argument that all college hockey players are wastes of scholarship money, and a special kudos to the choice of title : College Major. Fitting after your previous rant on just affliating a Major Junior program with colleges.

Now give it up, college hockey is not college football or college basketball.

J.C. - You are correct that " 'college' describes the sport, and isn't being used as an independent word." In this context "college" is being used as an adjective, and indicates that the noun "hockey" is limited to those aspects of hockey related to colleges, which are educational institutions. It seems reasonable that most discussion on this site would be related to education (college) and hockey, but this is not the case. Discussions run heavily to professional candidates and professional players who attended a college for any length of time, although these individuals represent a tiny minority of current and former college hockey players.

If you consider professional hockey careers as the chief justification for college hockey go right ahead and enjoy. Just admit others have the right to a different opinion: the main justification for college hockey is that students, faculty and fans get to enjoy a fine sport during the process of education.

BTW: You attribute some remarkable opinions and arguments to me. Where did you get these ideas? Am I up against some sort of savant?

Comment

J.C. - You are correct that " 'college' describes the sport, and isn't being used as an independent word." In this context "college" is being used as an adjective, and indicates that the noun "hockey" is limited to those aspects of hockey related to colleges, which are educational institutions. It seems reasonable that most discussion on this site would be related to education (college) and hockey, but this is not the case.
                        No, it would seem reasonable that most discussion would be related to College Hockey, not college and hockey. There are plenty of forums to discuss "college," there is here to discuss college hockey. Not college and/or hockey.
                        Originally posted by Hokydad
                        Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Posters post about college hockey 99% of the time? What website are you reading?
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

J.C. - You are correct that " 'college' describes the sport, and isn't being used as an independent word." In this context "college" is being used as an adjective, and indicates that the noun "hockey" is limited to those aspects of hockey related to colleges, which are educational institutions. It seems reasonable that most discussion on this site would be related to education (college) and hockey, but this is not the case.
                            AS was noted, and maybe we need to put this in a simpler form for you, this is about college level hockey. And in particular, this section of the forums is for Division I level college hockey. There is a Division III level college hockey, which you may find more agreeable with what appears to be your belief system on how college level sports should be due to no academic scholarships are allowed at all. There are some mighty fine folks there, and some pretty good hockey as well.
                            2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                            2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                            2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                            2010 Frozen Four participant
                            2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Basketweaving with an underwater concentration.

It's a very difficult program at UND...
                              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                              Originally posted by Quizmire
                              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                                AS was noted, and maybe we need to put this in a simpler form for you, this is about college level hockey. And in particular, this section of the forums is for Division I level college hockey. There is a Division III level college hockey, which you may find more agreeable with what appears to be your belief system on how college level sports should be due to no academic scholarships are allowed at all. There are some mighty fine folks there, and some pretty good hockey as well.
                                To break it down further, this thread is for MEN'S Division 1 Hockey.

According to Osorojo, we should discuss Men, College and Hockey equally...don't think that's going to happen
                                North Dakota
                                National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Working...
                                X