The dog days of MSU Spartan offseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The dog days of MSU Spartan offseason

Hard to think about the new guys hitting the ice in 5046 days when the real-feel is 95°. But with the "skate with the pros" happening next Wednesday, it's hard to resist talking about it.

High school football practice has started. EL apartments are filling up and the traffic's getting more dodgy around here. There may be an exhibition of hockey vs. rowing or hockey vs. the intramural quidditch team. Before you know it the player-led skates will kick into full gear.

And then the madness begins.
    Who's really going to "step it up" this year and fill the goal-scoring void?
    Last edited by owslachief; 08-18-2010, 10:44 AM.

Re: The dog days of MSU Spartan offseason

First off good new name... too bad you only have a few weeks of the off season left.

Second there is really so many options to fill the void i don't know who is my favorite... hopefully someone does because if not we are in for a world of hurt

Comment

Look for a re-invigorated Gazely to take charge and put some pucks in the back of the net, he should have some fire in his belly as the top senior. Also watch Nill, he'll take on a leadership role that should help on and off ice. On the D side, Buttery and Crandell will be helping Krug and Josepher get points from the point.
      "Those who think they know it all usually know less than those who listen and learn."

Comment

I am anxious to get the season going. Despite the loss of arguably our top 3 players, I think we are going to have a solid, good team. Hopefully the guys have been working as hard over the summer as they did last year.

I took a walk through campus a couple days ago and tried to go into Munn to see the new center ice helmet logo but it was all closed down. From outside i could still make out the blank, white boards...I wish that's how they were all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
          There may be an exhibition of hockey vs. rowing or hockey vs. the intramural quidditch team.
          Hmm. Knowing as many kids as I know on the IM quidditch teams at MSU, and knowing how much crossover there is between the aforementioned IM quidditch teams and and the hockey student section, I can foresee a bunch of really happy kids if this takes place.

I must admit: I have no clue just how many contests I'll see at Munn or on the road this season because of various commitments, but I'll surely try to make as many as I can. My Thursday and Friday nights are looking pretty tied up, though, which is an enormous bummer.

That said, of course I'm excited that we're under 50 days from the initial drop of the puck against UWO. I don't think I've ever not been excited about college hockey, and this season will be no different.

I think it's pivotal for us to do well this season, though. I know we hemmoraged significant talent to the pros over the past few months, but there's still enough players of a high caliber remaining to finish in the top-third of the league. My expectations are the same as they've been the past five or six seasons: Top third in the conference, trip to Joe Louis for the CCHA quarterfinals, and an NCAA tournament bid. I think if we fail to reach this plateau for the third consecutive year, well, questions must be asked.

Anyway, excited for hockey, bummed we've officially rid of the old hockey script on the jerseys, I still think it's weird seeing a big Spartan helmet at center ice at Munn, and I feel the expectations above are reasonable and attainable.

That is all.
          Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
          66 - 86 - 07
          59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
          59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Here's a short video story on Brett Perlini from this summer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkRybmxUvtw

Comment

Here's a short video story on Brett Perlini from this summer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkRybmxUvtw
              Looking good kiddo. Glad to hear he intends to go the distance.
              "It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
              - Mark Twain

Comment

New center ice looks like crap. They replaced the S with the spartan helmet and it doesn't even fit inside the circle, despite what looks like their best attempts to do so.

Why couldn't we have kept this one? It was perfect.
                *****http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/object2/1081/57/n159307929037_1844.jpg******
                Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

I would just add that the ultra-white b.g. doesnt match the off-white of the rest of the ice. And it's a square within a circle. Hatchet job.

Comment

I would just add that the ultra-white b.g. doesnt match the off-white of the rest of the ice. And it's a square within a circle. Hatchet job.
                    Did we transition from paint to vinyl inlays over the summer?

If so, bummer.
                    66 - 86 - 07
                    59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Comment

Red Wings reach 2-year deal with Justin Abdelkader

http://www.freep.com/article/2010082...ith-Abdelkader
                      "It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
                      - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                        Did we transition from paint to vinyl inlays over the summer?

If so, bummer.
                        Good question. Whatever the case, the whole thing seems out of place.

Comment

Good question. Whatever the case, the whole thing seems out of place.
                          I only mention that because I recall my home rink making the transition from paint to vinyl five or six years ago and noticing a huge quality difference. The issue was particularly with the vividness of most of the markings on the ice, with some of the markings fading noticeably as the year progressed. (Which might be a UV thing.)

Also, some of the sponsored areas looked really funny, particularly because of the contrast between the stark white of the vinyl and the eggshell-like shade of white that was present on the rest of the sheet.

I know inlays are much cheaper to buy from rink supply outlets, and the man-hours needed to install the markings are significantly less, but the overall product doesn't look nearly as good as paint.
                          66 - 86 - 07

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                            I only mention that because I recall my home rink making the transition from paint to vinyl five or six years ago and noticing a huge quality difference. The issue was particularly with the vividness of most of the markings on the ice, with some of the markings fading noticeably as the year progressed. (Which might be a UV thing.)

Also, some of the sponsored areas looked really funny, particularly because of the contrast between the stark white of the vinyl and the eggshell-like shade of white that was present on the rest of the sheet.

I know inlays are much cheaper to buy from rink supply outlets, and the man-hours needed to install the markings are significantly less, but the overall product doesn't look nearly as good as paint.
                            It would seem to me that the only advantage of said inlays is that it wouldn't take nearly the effort to undo this mistake should the outcry be intense enough. Also I can't wait to here the griping during the Green & White.

Comment

Now i am really curious to see everything. I think they open munn up once the school year starts because i dropped by there almost every day before the season started last year.

Comment

Working...
                              X