Interesting Read on Draft Trends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Read on Draft Trends

Not sure if anyone saw this, but this was an interesting breakdown of where draft picks are coming from:

http://habswatch.blogspot.com/2010/0...om-europe.html

What's interesting is this point:

United States minor league programs now produce more NHL draft picks than any single Canadian league
    Of note is that a lot of European nations are seeing dramatic drop-offs in drafts. The WHL has pretty much stagnated in growth, and the QMJHL has stagnated in terms of home grown growth (their growth apparently comes from foreign talent). The US development leagues (USHL, High School, USNDPT) has risen by over 100% since 2000.

Re: Interesting Read on Draft Trends

Originally posted by GoNU5 View Post
    Not sure if anyone saw this, but this was an interesting breakdown of where draft picks are coming from:

http://habswatch.blogspot.com/2010/0...om-europe.html

What's interesting is this point:

Of note is that a lot of European nations are seeing dramatic drop-offs in drafts. The WHL has pretty much stagnated in growth, and the QMJHL has stagnated in terms of home grown growth (their growth apparently comes from foreign talent). The US development leagues (USHL, High School, USNDPT) has risen by over 100% since 2000.
    I don't see this as being as much of a negative for NCAA as that article makes it out to be. It seems like that article is pitting the NCAA against US minors, but in reality the two are actually working together if anything. Keep in mind that the major dropoff for NCAA is players who have already played NCAA for at least a season, so it doesn't include any incoming freshman. I would say that if anything, this just shows that more players are playing an extra year of two of US minors or prep before going to college rather than going straight to college. And that's not really a bad thing.
    Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
      I don't see this as being as much of a negative for NCAA as that article makes it out to be. It seems like that article is pitting the NCAA against US minors, but in reality the two are actually working together if anything. Keep in mind that the major dropoff for NCAA is players who have already played NCAA for at least a season, so it doesn't include any incoming freshman. I would say that if anything, this just shows that more players are playing an extra year of two of US minors or prep before going to college rather than going straight to college. And that's not really a bad thing.
      Yea I agree, I think the numbers are a good thing, since if you likely defined NCAA as players committed to the NCAA or playing in it you'd find that number to be rapidly growing and having overtaken any one of the CHL leagues individually.

Comment

The massive declines from Europe are probably based on economic realities and less affordable hockey opportunities for children over there. Hockey is a very expensive sport if the financial burden is on the families and not the community or the state, participation is going to decline.

Russia, Latvia, Slovenia, Belarus and Slovakia have seen massive financial turmoil.

Switzerland, Germany & Czech Republic have seen massive shifts from traditional youth team sports to individual pursuits like skateboarding, X-games, etc.

While the United States has seen a decline in overall boys/men's hockey participation; elite training, top-flight coaching and world class training facilities are being utilized like never before.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
          The massive declines from Europe are probably based on economic realities and less affordable hockey opportunities for children over there. Hockey is a very expensive sport if the financial burden is on the families and not the community or the state, participation is going to decline.

Russia, Latvia, Slovenia, Belarus and Slovakia have seen massive financial turmoil.

Switzerland, Germany & Czech Republic have seen massive shifts from traditional youth team sports to individual pursuits like skateboarding, X-games, etc.

While the United States has seen a decline in overall boys/men's hockey participation; elite training, top-flight coaching and world class training facilities are being utilized like never before.
          I totally agree our minor hockey system rocks!

Comment

Working...
          X