Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA 2010 Predictions Thread

Originally posted by Rich View Post
    For every example of a team that was awful one year and finished in the top half the next, you can find 10 years where the team went from awful to awful. I think it's most likely that MTU is going to finish in the bottom 4. It's certainly possible that they could do better than that, but I think it's unlikely. Only having 2 games each against MSU-M and UAA hurts as well.
    I tend to agree, but I'm also not sure what to think of our cluster. Duluth should be a good team, but they often seem to struggle against us (going 2-2 against last year's Tech team is a pretty laughable stat). Wisconsin lost half their team, but with the talent they bring in every fall I don't expect them to be too bad. Minnesota is overdue for a rebound, but at this point who knows?

It's all moot if they can't stay out of the hospital though.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      ...but I'm also not sure what to think of our cluster.
      Your cluster definitely has the most unknowns.

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
        You think we're not fired up to show them they were playing in the CupCake Hockey Association?
        That's funny. When I was in Ann Arbor last spring after the brackets were announced and the WCHA only had four teams in (rather than their usual 7 or 8), they were referring to the W as the "Whiners Collegiate Hockey Association." I stuck up for the conference and said it should have been at least 5 teams in with the addition of UMD. Then NoDak and Denver promptly went out and sh*t the bed with losses to Yale and RIT respectively. Remember that?

That was also the first RIT game I've watched since they lost to D3 St. Norbert to open the season about 5 years ago...

Comment

Originally posted by pelt slammer View Post
          you honestly don't know what the heck you are talking about..... how could you even justify SCSU not being in the top 5 and Minnesota being there. Minnesota doesn't have a team this year, and SCSU didn't really lose anyone but the surfer dude. do some more research so you don't look like a tard.

GO SCSU!!!
          How can you justify them being in the top 5?

Comment

1. UND
            2. SCSU
            3. BSU
            4. UMD
            5. WISCO
            6. UNO
            7. CC
            8. DU
            9. UM
            10. MSU
            11. AA
            12. MTU

I place BSU and UNO in #3 and #6 because I think these teams will be ready to hit the ground running in the WCHA and prove themselves and all the other teams will not know what to expect the first few times they play them. Antoher point to touch on is the U of M, I place them at #9 due to last years play at the end of the year and a few players leaving early to the NHL. I took a peek at UND's roster and saw many returing players and they will most likely have Chay Genoway back this season. I do think that CC and DU's domination of the WCHA has come to an end for a few years as I predict them to fall to the middle of the pack.

I am a new member to the Fan Fourm so I would appreciate any feedback
            Last edited by WCHAfan2010; 08-12-2010, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
              That's funny. When I was in Ann Arbor last spring after the brackets were announced and the WCHA only had four teams in (rather than their usual 7 or 8), they were referring to the W as the "Whiners Collegiate Hockey Association." I stuck up for the conference and said it should have been at least 5 teams in with the addition of UMD. Then NoDak and Denver promptly went out and sh*t the bed with losses to Yale and RIT respectively. Remember that?

That was also the first RIT game I've watched since they lost to D3 St. Norbert to open the season about 5 years ago...
              Nowhere did we say we didn't whine, that's fine. We do whine, we're still better quality hockey than the CCHA.

As for the tournament, yes, the WCHA had a horrible tournament. Merely 4 teams in, a national runner-up and the four teams went a collective 4-4, for a pathetic .500. I think we're going to disband and become 12 independants pretty soon if that keeps up.

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
              Ooh! Pick me teacher! Pick me! I know this one!
              tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Intangibles. Like significantly more talent.
                St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
                  Intangibles. Like significantly more talent.
                  Psh. Only based off of what they did last season. Like that matters at all when doing preseason predictions when no one has played a minute yet.

Oh wait...
                  the state of hockey is good

Comment

The loss of Lasch and Raboin could turn out to be pretty significant. SCSU could struggle for a top 5 spot.

Comment

• Re: WCHA 2010 Predictions Thread

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                      The loss of Lasch and Raboin could turn out to be pretty significant. SCSU could struggle for a top 5 spot.
                      But what suddenly vaults the Gophers from 6th in a 10 team league to top 5 in a 12 team league?
                      St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
                        But what suddenly vaults the Gophers from 6th in a 10 team league to top 5 in a 12 team league?
                        DL, I'm reticent to make any predictions regarding the Gophers this season. There are too many variables at this point.

But there's little question in my mind that an impact player like Ryan Lasch will be missed. I was always impressed with the guy's tenacity in front of the net despite his size, something many Gopher players recently can't seem to do.

I was just looking at his career stats and there's no question that Ryan Lasch with his records of most career games played, most career points, most career winning goals, tied for most winning goals in a season was one of the best to ever play at SCSU and in the WCHA. I always thought Raboin was a solid D man and his presence will most likely be missed as well.

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post

You aren't going to win this argument with SCSU Euro. You've got to remember it was a CCHA team that lost to SCSU in the NCAA's, a feat that before last year no one thought possible.
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                            DL, I'm reticent to make any predictions regarding the Gophers this season. There are too many variables at this point.

But there's little question in my mind that an impact player like Ryan Lasch will be missed. I was always impressed with the guy's tenacity in front of the net despite his size, something many Gopher players recently can't seem to do.

I was just looking at his career stats and there's no question that Ryan Lasch with his records of most career games played, most career points, most career winning goals, tied for most winning goals in a season was one of the best to ever play at SCSU and in the WCHA. I always thought Raboin was a solid D man and his presence will most likely be missed as well.
                            Lasch and Raboin will be missed no doubt, but it's not as though they were all we had last year.
                            We return 11 out of our top 12 forwards, and 4 of 6 defensemen and both goalies.
                            We return 3 guys who put up 30 points or better and 6 with 20 or better.
                            What made last year's team good was it's depth and that's still there.
                            Also, Roe is ahead of Lasch's pace and only has to match his worst season as a Husky to break the assist and point records.
                            I look for Hanowski to take Lasch's spot with Marvin and Festler and that line as a whole could put up more than it did with Lasch.
                            "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                            -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                            Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                            Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                            Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                            Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

1. UND
                              2. UMD
                              3. sccc
                              4. CC
                              5. UW
                              6. BSU
                              7. MN
                              8. UNO
                              9. DU
                              10. MSU-M
                              11. AA
                              12. MTU
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                                Lasch and Raboin will be missed no doubt, but it's not as though they were all we had last year.
                                We return 11 out of our top 12 forwards, and 4 of 6 defensemen and both goalies.
                                We return 3 guys who put up 30 points or better and 6 with 20 or better.
                                What made last year's team good was it's depth and that's still there.
                                Also, Roe is ahead of Lasch's pace and only has to match his worst season as a Husky to break the assist and point records.
                                I look for Hanowski to take Lasch's spot with Marvin and Festler and that line as a whole could put up more than it did with Lasch.
                                I agree. The Huskies should be one of the teams to beat this year. I think that the only thing that might possibly keep them out of the top 3 (other than something unpredictable like injuries, suspensions, etc.) is the tough cluster. Obviously UND will be good, but I expect UNO and BSU to transition to the WCHA without too much of a hiccup.

Comment

Working...
                                X