• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA Chatham Univ Infractions Report

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/...17a66bcdc87ae7

Re: NCAA Chatham Univ Infractions Report

Those darn Canucks.

So this means what? Chatham isn't eligible for postseason play?
    "If you're satisfied with being good, you'll never be great"

"heck, you go to some D-III hockey games and a Steven Segal Chinese stick fight breaks out,....." by Camman15

2009-2010 Regular Season Atlantic Hockey Pick-em Champion

Comment

Originally posted by MICZamboni View Post
      Those darn Canucks.

That is what it says.

Comment

Those darn Canucks.

It wouldn't appear that they got much of an advantage out of this, based on their record.
        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Based on the text here I would say the school is at fault for putting these discounts in place and then making what would appear to be no effort at all to recruit regular Canadian students to come to school there. If 9 student athletes receiving this aid can cause a major imbalance in the awarding of financial aid, then the school was not doing any actual work to bring regular internationals down from Canada for school.

The hockey team used the system that was in place effectively, which they have to do, as recruiting in Canada is the only way they can ever be competitive.

The University obviously thought the hockey team would recruit from around Pittsburgh like every other sports program at the school can do because they are playing non-nationally competitive schedules like the hockey team does. There was a total lack of understanding of what it would take to provide a competitive hockey team and how it would affect the larger financial aid picture.

Comment

Those darn Canucks.

Are there any players who will be juniors or seniors this year still on the roster who also receive Canadian student discount? If the answer is yes, then the school is not eligible for post-season play. If the answer is no, then there's no penalty beyond probation for the school.
            Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
            Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
            Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post
              Based on the text here I would say the school is at fault for putting these discounts in place and then making what would appear to be no effort at all to recruit regular Canadian students to come to school there. If 9 student athletes receiving this aid can cause a major imbalance in the awarding of financial aid, then the school was not doing any actual work to bring regular internationals down from Canada for school.

The hockey team used the system that was in place effectively, which they have to do, as recruiting in Canada is the only way they can ever be competitive.

The University obviously thought the hockey team would recruit from around Pittsburgh like every other sports program at the school can do because they are playing non-nationally competitive schedules like the hockey team does. There was a total lack of understanding of what it would take to provide a competitive hockey team and how it would affect the larger financial aid picture.
              The basic problem here is that a scholarship was put in place around the time that a hockey program was started that disproportionately helped hockey players. So as much as Chatham's administration shortchanged the hockey program in getting coaching, etc., they also helped them out too much in allowing the hockey coach to be the primary advertiser of these scholarships. If another organization (department/program) had taken this Canadian Discount and built up a successful recruiting effort, the NCAA wouldn't be an issue.

Other hockey playing D3 schools have Canadian discounts (Oswego comes to mind here), but don't get caught up in this problem because they do attract non-athletes successfully. Don't know the history, but perhaps there is another reason for Canadians to go to Oswego besides hockey.

Perhaps Chatham should enhance its FA for applicants from outside a 100 mile radius of Pittsburgh instead. That should dilute the population receiving the aid enough to slide in enough Canadians to get the team competitive.

Comment

I guess we should have paid more attention and saw the writing on the wall when McNaughton and Campbell were listed as transfering on BTD.

This really is too bad. A team that already had a hard time competing just suffered a major setback and I feel this is the first step towards the University eventually dropping the program from Varsity status.
                The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                GO LAKERS!!!
                GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                Oswego State '09

Comment

Hopefully the school will use this to axe the women's hockey team. It was such a monumental waste of gas and energy to travel to play this team. They were without question the worst team I've ever witnessed. A single A peewee team from Ontario would have wooped them! Totally embarassing... a good opportunity to just "go away."

Comment

Have they officialy annouced the new coach yet?

Comment

Originally posted by NoGo View Post
                      Have they officialy annouced the new coach yet?
                      Chatham Coach Jason Evans Head Ice Hockey Coch
                      Evans comes from Robert Morris University in Moon Township, PA, where he served as head coach of the ACHA Division I Ice Hockey Team. Under Evans, the team compiled a 117-71-3 record with 3 conference regular season championships, 4 conference playoff championships and three trips to the ACHA Division I National Tournament. In addition to the team awards, Evans was also the recipient of three conference coach of the year awards. A graduate of Robert Morris University with a Bachelor of Science Business Administration in Sports Management, Evans also earned his Level 5 Certification from USA Hockey. He has been active in local and regional hockey events over the years including the Chicago High School Showcase and Washington Capitals High School Symposium.

Comment

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
                        Hopefully the school will use this to axe the women's hockey team. It was such a monumental waste of gas and energy to travel to play this team. They were without question the worst team I've ever witnessed. A single A peewee team from Ontario would have wooped them! Totally embarassing... a good opportunity to just "go away."
                        I think you're being a bit harsh here Seymore butts.

Not every team can be an Amherst, Elmira, Plattsburgh, and Middlebury...

They were making improvements and starting become more competitive and had won some games.

For a few years Elmira and Plattsburgh owed a big thank you for fielding a program so that the ECAC West could be eligible for the automatic bid.

I for one would be sad to see the program go and this is coming from an Oswego alumnus, the school which Chatham won its first D-III varsity game, snapping a 96-game losing streak IIRC.
                        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                        Oswego State '09

Comment

In four years of watching...the games were nothing more than a farce and an embarassment. Sorry if you think it's harsh, but the league would have been stronger had they let a novice A team compete instead. And I'm NOT exagerrating either.

Comment

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
                            In four years of watching...the games were nothing more than a farce and an embarassment. Sorry if you think it's harsh, but the league would have been stronger had they let a novice A team compete instead. And I'm NOT exagerrating either.
                            Clearly you didn't see some of the games in the past few years, or you only went to ones against the top 2 teams in the league. Can't say they didn't get any better when they were losing every game by about 10 goals when they first started to getting some wins and close games against decent teams.
                            "We're trying to go to the moon. If you can't put someone up, please don't put them down." - NASA

Comment

When will the NCAA get around finally to doing the same investigations at Manhattanville and Elmira?

Comment

Working...
                              X