Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Merrimack Offseason thread - preseason rank 10th again? I think not

Originally posted by BCWH Superfan joe View Post
    I think you're confusing "college barn" and "MDC rink." Matthews is an old college barn. RPI's rink is a old college barn, as is Lynah, the Yale Whale, and Bright. Merrimack, UConn and Bentley don't play in college barns, they play in semi-glorified MDC rinks.

BTW, while Merrimack's 12-3-1 home record was impressive, BC went 14-2 at home, so your claim is incorrect.
    I've been in UConn's rink...it sucks...big time and Bentley plays at the town municpal rink...so I really dont see what "your point is there" either...those two rinks are no where near the atmosphere of a rocking Lawler rink
    Before there was a band there was "the drum guy"

@SalvucciM

Comment

Originally posted by Salvo1017 View Post
      I've been in UConn's rink...it sucks...big time and Bentley plays at the town municpal rink...so I really dont see what "your point is there" either...those two rinks are no where near the atmosphere of a rocking Lawler rink
      i like Merrimack because it is the Hockey East equivilent of Brown. I've been to Lawler Rink and I wouldn't say it's "rocking" by any stretch.
      Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorDJ View Post
        Meh, you can call the rink what you want, but the last two BC championship teams are 1-1 at the Lawler, goals scored: Merrimack 7-BC 7
        Hooraaaaaay. BC played down to far inferior Merrimack teams.

Hang a banner!!!!

And I thought the UNH fans were stupid with their trivial little moral victories. This one beats anything I've seen from them.
        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Say what you want, but coaches across the board in HE did not want to come play at Lawler....you can make your jokes and say that they didn't want to play there because it's a "MDC rink" that resembles youth hockey rinks....but there's really no arguing on the subject...our home record speaks for its self.

So if you don't like Lawler...that's fine don't come watch a game there...stick to your large arenas that hardly sell out...the last time I've been to a game at Conte it was half empty and half full of old silver-haired alum. Me personally I'll take watching a game 5 rows up from the ice at Lawler any day. At Conte you pay 20 dollars for nose-bleeds and when the place is half empty you get yelled at by security for moving down....what a joke.

@SalvucciM

Comment

And I thought us NU fans were bad with our love for our arena/rocking fan base
            Arenas Attended
            Matthews Arena
            Agganis Arena
            Tsongas Arena
            Lawler Arena
            Schneider Arena
            Mullins Center
            TD Banknorth Garden
            Conte Forum
            Whittemore Center
            Gutterson Fieldhouse
            Alfond Arena
            Compton Family Ice Arena

Comment

[QUOTE=Salvo1017;4835971]"Say what you want, but coaches across the board in HE did not want to come play at Lawler...."

you're right, they don't want to play there but not for the reasons you think

"...the last time I've been to a game at Conte it was half empty "

may have been because of the opposition...........
              Last edited by sterlippo1; 08-09-2010, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NUMcNeely View Post
                And I thought us NU fans were bad with our love for our arena/rocking fan base
                apples and oranges and you know it

Comment

Say what you want, but coaches across the board in HE did not want to come play at Lawler....you can make your jokes and say that they didn't want to play there because it's a "MDC rink" that resembles youth hockey rinks....but there's really no arguing on the subject...our home record speaks for its self.

So if you don't like Lawler...that's fine don't come watch a game there...stick to your large arenas that hardly sell out...the last time I've been to a game at Conte it was half empty and half full of old silver-haired alum. Me personally I'll take watching a game 5 rows up from the ice at Lawler any day. At Conte you pay 20 dollars for nose-bleeds and when the place is half empty you get yelled at by security for moving down....what a joke.
                  We get it. Merrimack was outstanding at home last year. No coach wants to play on the road, but you have to. The atmosphere may have been pretty good at Merrimack, but that doesn't mean it still can't be a sub-par DI men's ice hockey rink.

Conte Forum holds 7,884 for hockey. With tickets ranging from around $10-$30...I'd say the average would come out to under 20. Still, with the economy, it has kept people away. There are no nose bleed seats at Conte. Very few bad seats in the place IMO.

Comment

but there's really no arguing on the subject...our home record speaks for its self.
                    Gee, with a record like that at home I'm wondering why I didn't see Merrimack at the Boston Garden and the NCAA regionals.

Might want to work on that 4-15-1 road record.

Since you like referencing BC championship teams of the past, consider how worthless home records are (in addition to Merrimack's absence in the HE semis and NCAAs again last year with that amazing home record) when you look at BC's 2008 championship team that had a 6-7-4 home record at Conte.

If I had to choose, I'd take a good road record over a good home record any day. The playoffs are entirely on the road (neutral = not home = away for all intents and purposes) once you're out of the QFs.

So if you don't like Lawler...that's fine don't come watch a game there...stick to your large arenas that hardly sell out...
                    You can joke about it all you want but BC still absolutely rakes in cash with some empty seats and Merrimack is making chump change with these sold out crowds (how many people constitute a sell-out at Merrimack, 400 people?).

the last time I've been to a game at Conte it was half empty and half full of old silver-haired alum.
                    Was it because BC was playing a dreadful hockey program like Merrimack? Doesn't get many BC people excited. You might see it full if BC raises the banner versus the Warriors this year, though.
                    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Say what you want, but coaches across the board in HE did not want to come play at Lawler
                      I'd imagine coaches like Parker, York and Umile dont want to play at Lawler because it's embarrassing for their NHL ready players to play at a rink that is worse than the ones they played on in Mites.

It must be hysterical for a BC or BU to play at Lawler immediately after the Beanpot. Going from the Garden to that dump in North Andover must be a shock for the players to deal with.

Comment

[QUOTE=sterlippo1;4835996]
                        "Say what you want, but coaches across the board in HE did not want to come play at Lawler...."

you're right, they don't want to play there but not for the reasons you think

"...the last time I've been to a game at Conte it was half empty "

may have been because of the opposition...........
                        Haha. Great point.

Comment

I can 100% assure you that if you asked and polled the hockey east coaches, they would put oplaying at Maine, UVM and several others a far tougher place to play and win on the road. Merrimack should be more concerned with why they lose both games at Conte by a combioned score of 11-3 in front of a half empty rink of old silver haired farts.
                          2008/09 season they were 0-1 losing 4-1
                          07/08 they were 0-1-1 outscored 10-4
                          06/07 they were 0-1 outscored 4-1
                          05/06 they were 0-2 outscoring them 5-1
                          04/05 they were 0-1 outscored 8-3

That means over the past 5 seasons alone, AKA Dennehy era they were 0-8-1 at Conte, outscored 42-13.

In one of their best seasons in a long time they were astill under 500 overall and in Hockey East and failed to advance past the first round. You have to walk before you run but most would consider that still crawling.

Thats called home ice advantage.

Not losing one game at Merrimack, where BC has about a 90%+ winning record over past 15 years at that rocking barn...

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                            I'd imagine coaches like Parker, York and Umile dont want to play at Lawler because it's embarrassing for their NHL ready players to play at a rink that is worse than the ones they played on in Mites.

It must be hysterical for a BC or BU to play at Lawler immediately after the Beanpot. Going from the Garden to that dump in North Andover must be a shock for the players to deal with.
                            after playing BU in the Beanpot in a REALLY rocking building (this past year especially) it's hysterical to even go back to Conte

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                              That means over the past 5 seasons alone, AKA Dennehy era they were 0-8-1 at Conte, outscored 42-13.

In one of their best seasons in a long time they were astill under 500 overall and in Hockey East and failed to advance past the first round. You have to walk before you run but most would consider that still crawling.
                              Bring back Serino!!!

Comment

Enough with the hostility...I have and always will be a BC fan...most of my family went there and I have a signed Schneider jersey. So I'm not trying to rag on Boston College at all, great team great program and an awesome coach.

That being said, I'm sick of the elitist attitude held by people affiliated with BC and BU, how can you expect a small school just 60 years old with a student population of 2000 to have a rink like Agganis or Conte? It just can't be done in that time...take a look at where BC was playing up until the 80s when conte was built. McHugh Forum (I wonder how many young BC fans actually know the name of their old rink). It was a small arena that only held about 1000 more than Lawler does....and that's even with BC being a much bigger school.

Hockey is hockey, no matter if it's played on a pond, in a small rink with benches or in a professional style arena...the game is the same and it's a great one.

But let's get back to Mack Hockey. I'm getting excited to see Collins play...combination of him, Barton and Da Costa is going be colorful to say the least. Anyone know when the annual "Blue vs Gold" game is scheduled..(if it's scheduled yet)?

@SalvucciM

Comment

Working...
                                X