Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Excellent Interview with Don Lucia

Originally posted by burd View Post
    Oh, I'm sure the UMinn fans (and administrators) feel need to rush to recovery. But as a Sioux fan, I'm feeling remarkably patient with the whole situation.
    As are we Denver fans.

Seriously, though, I think a strong Minnesota program is crucial to the WCHA. It's the media center of the league, a rival to many league schools, has the largest fan base.

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
      I enjoyed the article, but questioned the fact that he said that BU didn't lose any players after winning the NC. I'm not sure if he meant BC (or said BC and it was a typo) or if he was mistaken. BU lost a number good of players after that season - Colin Wilson for one, Brian Strait as another.
      He meant that BU didn't lose players prior to that season, which is why they were able to win.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        Doug Woog had back-to-back under .500 campaigns and he was gone. Granted I know nothing about that situation...

19-17-9
        17-13-7
        18-19-2

Not horrific, but not up to Minnesota standards. Do their fans have the patience? Missed the NCAAs in back-to-back years for the first time since Woog's last year and Lucia's first.

By all accounts, Minnesota isn't expected to be much better than last year, correct?
        From the AD's perspective there are reasons for the recent slide (i.e. injuries, defections, Lucia's 1.5 year illness, lack of scoring) and making comparisons to Woog's dilemma a decade ago is not quite accurate. The team will most likely be improved from last year but they still need to find more scoring potential.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyFanClub View Post
          He meant that BU didn't lose players prior to that season, which is why they were able to win.
          Ah, thanks. Misread it, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
            and making comparisons to Woog's dilemma a decade ago is not quite accurate. The team will most likely be improved from last year but they still need to find more scoring potential.
            Like I said, I know nothing about the Woog situation other than the back-to-back losing records. I assume that was under a different AD as well. How does the current AD feel about the state of the Gopher hockey program?

Do you think Minnesota is an NCAA team this year?

Comment

Could the NHL impose a NFL or NBA like age requirement and take the long-term view that this is ultimately in its best interest because it will lessen the cess pool of under-educated and under-abled NHL rejects who make the ill-fated call of choosing athletics over education at a point in life when they don't have the life experience to know any better?

I keep on thinking of the commercial that says something to the tune of "99% of college athletes will go pro in something other than their sport..." I'm sure that you could brand Major Junior with a similar tag-line.

Comment

Like I said, I know nothing about the Woog situation other than the back-to-back losing records. I assume that was under a different AD as well. How does the current AD feel about the state of the Gopher hockey program?

AD Joel Maturi has a very high regard for Don Lucia and they have a good working relationship. In fact Don was on the AD search committee and was highly influential in bringing him to MN from Miami University (Ohio). I think he believes that Lucia's influence will produce a better result this season based upon his comments at the end of last season's crash and burn. I think it's possible this season's team can eek out an NCAA bid, but whether they will go deep is very questionable.

Comment

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
                  UND has done it 7 times without God on the roster, speaking of God I heard he decommitted from UM and signed a letter of intent with UND .
                  Lucia has coached two national championships since UND won it's last one. and you guys think he has lost his edge. What does that say about UND, might as well shut down the team, eh?
                  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                  Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                    I think it's possible this season's team can eek out an NCAA bid, but whether they will go deep is very questionable.
                    kinda looks like a goofer...
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=P3kX...eature=related

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                      Oh, I'm sure the UMinn fans (and administrators) feel need to rush to recovery. But as a Sioux fan, I'm feeling remarkably patient with the whole situation.
                      hey, when Minnesota is in the BTHC, and you are just a mid-major, you can be patient, too.
                      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                      Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
                        IIRC BC can sing that to Hakstol without speculation.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                          Lucia has coached two national championships since UND won it's last one. and you guys think he has lost his edge. What does that say about UND, might as well shut down the team, eh?
                          I never said Lucia is loosing his edge dummy, I said they hit a rough patch. I think you have enough to worry about this season with your team, let the Sioux fans worry about their 7 NCs and three 1st round draft picks that are preparing to sweep you this season.
                          "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                          Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                          The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                          Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

I sure hope so. I'd like to think they can be an NCAA team after two years off, we do have 7 seniors coming back which is more than the last few years. Although they as in the whole team will need to get there scoring touch back after last years forgettable performance.
                            Originally posted by CavalryNate
                            Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                              If you look back at the last decade Minnesota, Michigan and Wisconsin (among others) played a dangerous game recruiting 16 year-olds. These recruits were exceptional prospects, but they either went pro early or were busts. Now Lucia is left holding the empty bag.
                              Yet it continues. Heisenberg has 8 Denver recruits listed on his 2011 list. Their ages on the date they committed to the Pioneers:

Didier - 17
                              D. Mermis - 16
                              Doremus - 18
                              Van Voorhis - 17
                              Allen - 17
                              Larraza - 16
                              Pham - 15
                              Mayfield - 16
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

If they aren't and Lucia keeps his job things are going to be worse next offseason than they were this offseason.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X