No announcement yet.

Boston College Offseason (Continued)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston College Offseason (Continued)

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
    NU will finish better than BC next year.
    How much money are you willing to put on this?
    Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny View Post
      I agree that recruiting young kids is a product of the college hockey recruiting rules. However I don't see what coach York and co. is doing to be wrong in the least bit. If you can stack your pipeline with top talents for years to come, why wouldn't you do it? Strike while the iron is hot right? The BC Hockey iron is certainly hot, so why not take advantage of the perception and image while you can? Why let the competition even sniff the best 14 year olds? Young kids admire the BC players, the championships, and the consistency of producing national contending teams year in and year out. Why wouldn't you go to BC? It's clearly been the best program in the country since these kids have been born. And as mentioned earlier, these are verbal commitments. Case in point is Cody Ferriero. He saw the writing on the wall, either go to BC and fight for playing time, or back out and go to NU. (oh wait, I'm wrong, he backed out because BC doesn't play a physical style) Ultimately the player has a right to back out, so what's the big deal? BC is simply using their image and past success to attract the best players in multiple age groups. Isn't that the goal of any sports organization? Win now and stack the pipeline for the future? If they are right with these picks, keep it up. If not, then change your philosphy. Just keep winning.
      I'm not saying what he is doing is wrong. I am saying that he has an oppty to hold himself and BC to a higher standard (this is me admiring the guy) and I don't believe that BC would suffer because 14 year olds who want BC will also want BC when they are juniors in high school. That is the legacy that York has cemented above and beyond his national titles.
      Last edited by bothman; 09-01-2010, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Ferriero didnt see the writing on the wall, he didnt like the program and went to one that is a better fit in his eyes. Good for him, why find out after the fact when its to late. Did BC back out on the other kid? No way, they are above that. BS, its a busines to them and they are just as guily as CF was if you want to call a spade a spade. They took a kid and then when he was ready to come, dropped a bomb on his lap, all for the sole purpose of driving him out. In the end it worked out as McCarthy had a very good season for UVM, 17 pts in 36 games. Dont kid yourself. Chris Kreider wanting to come in a year early had a lot to do with BC's desire for him to play a year or 2 of juniors.
        Unfortunately USHR no longer has their search feature and Heisenberg doesn't have McCarthy on previous recruiting pages. Was hoping to find his commitment date to UVM. USHR certainly didn't report it like you are, but why am I not surprised? As I don't have the specifics in front of me, I'll leave it at that. And I suggest you do the same.

As for Ferriero, that situation is common knowledge given what he said to USHR and what he later said to the local Gloucester paper (clearly lied to them). Don't even try to defend his lies, calling Coach York "Jerry", or the reasons he gave to USHR for leaving BC. He clearly resented the fact they told him he'd be competing for ice time like everyone else and that they wouldn't give him a better scholarship offer than the one HE agreed to in the first place. They NEVER guaranteed him a full scholarship. BC's survived losing better players than Cody Ferriero in the past. Good riddance.

It will work out for the best here with CF as well
        We'll see about that.

and NU will finish better than BC next year.
        That must be why you picked BC to win Hockey East? Remove your head from your ***.

If he was in the stands it would only be because of the promisses made to other players and not because of even up play.
        Not sure if you're talking about BC, but if you are...get this through your head once and for all. You don't know BC as well as you think you do. Jerry York doesn't lay down and make promises to any player. If you follow the rules and can play, you're gonna play. Period.

He will mature under Cronin
        Would have done the same under York.

Originally posted by bothman View Post
        I'm not saying what he is doing is wrong. I am saying that he has an oppty to hold himself and BC to a higher standard (this is me admiring the guy) and I don't believe that BC would suffer because 14 year olds who want BC will also want BC when they are juniors in high school. That is the legacy that York has cemented above and beyond his national titles.
        Yes, he does...but so do other coaches that are doing the same thing. I don't view Jerry York as a pioneer type, nor should he be expected to be one. It's up to the college hockey world to change that culture. You're not gonna have one guy do it alone.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
          Unfortunately USHR no longer has their search feature and Heisenberg doesn't have McCarthy on previous recruiting pages. Was hoping to find his commitment date to UVM. USHR certainly didn't report it like you are, but why am I not surprised? As I don't have the specifics in front of me, I'll leave it at that. And I suggest you do the same.

As for Ferriero, that situation is common knowledge given what he said to USHR and what he later said to the local Gloucester paper (clearly lied to them). Don't even try to defend his lies, calling Coach York "Jerry", or the reasons he gave to USHR for leaving BC. He clearly resented the fact they told him he'd be competing for ice time like everyone else and that they wouldn't give him a better scholarship offer than the one HE agreed to in the first place. They NEVER guaranteed him a full scholarship. BC's survived losing better players than Cody Ferriero in the past. Good riddance.

We'll see about that.

That must be why you picked BC to win Hockey East? Remove your head from your ***.

Not sure if you're talking about BC, but if you are...get this through your head once and for all. You don't know BC as well as you think you do. Jerry York doesn't lay down and make promises to any player. If you follow the rules and can play, you're gonna play. Period.

Would have done the same under York.

Yes, he does...but so do other coaches that are doing the same thing. I don't view Jerry York as a pioneer type, nor should he be expected to be one. It's up to the college hockey world to change that culture. You're not gonna have one guy do it alone.

Next year is not this year, oh great one with head lodged in A**
          Will mature better with Cronin.
          I didnt like him calling the HC "Jerry" either. Lack of respect in my opinion there.
          Who cares how USHR reports it. They dont speak for the McCarthy kid. Who has made it very clear why hye left BC, he was cold shouldered out.

what about Tiefenwerth ? did he leave on his own?
          Last edited by Hokydad; 09-01-2010, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Next year is not this year, oh great one with head lodged in A**
            I apologize. Saw you talking about Ferriero this year and just assumed you were talking about NU's finish this year. Anyway, we'll talk about next year later on...

Will mature better with Cronin.
            Why?

Who cares how USHR reports it. They dont speak for the McCarthy kid. Who has made it very clear why hye left BC, he was cold shouldered out.
            LOL. Ya, who cares how a reputable news source reports it when we could just rely on an anonymous internet message board poster. I have news for you...you don't speak for McCarthy either even though we all know you'd love to.

Comment

Most people follow the pack by definition. Every change (big or small) requires leadership. Someone that sees the big picture and makes the deicsion that is bigger than the underlying risks.

I'll get off of my soapbox now, but I'd love Jerry to show the rest of the college hockey world how it can be done.

Comment

I apologize. Saw you talking about Ferriero this year and just assumed you were talking about NU's finish this year. Anyway, we'll talk about next year later on...

Why?(Quote)
                Because he has more in common with GC and fits his mold better. You mature better if you are playing for a program and coach that you fit better in and want to play for. A win win for both programs but dont think for a second that the kid taking his ice, GB's nephew is half the player, he is not

LOL. Ya, who cares how a reputable news source reports it when we could just rely on an anonymous internet message board poster. I have news for you...you don't speak for McCarthy either even though we all know you'd love to.
                CW is a reputable news source? He is a good guy but is exactly that. A good local guy who makes a little extra cash charging people to read his blog. By no means is he a news source. I dont speak for McCarthy but you also dont and neither does BC. He and his father do and they made it clear why they left , more than once. FYI, he committed to UVM on 6/26, decommitted to BC on 6/8, the same day CK got his green light to come to BC a year early, how conveniant.

No room at the inn if he is coming so go play juniors. Cant blame anyone for that trade as CK is one of the best players to come thru BC in many years

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                  Most people follow the pack by definition. Every change (big or small) requires leadership. Someone that sees the big picture and makes the deicsion that is bigger than the underlying risks.

I'll get off of my soapbox now, but I'd love Jerry to show the rest of the college hockey world how it can be done.
                  Hey, I'd love it if York did this, but I just don't see it happening. Really though, these verbal commitments don't mean much. The only way I can see this trend dying down is if the NCAA puts in a rule.

NOTE TO HOKYDAD: PLEASE LEARN HOW TO USE THE QUOTE FUNCTION. IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW, ASK.

re: Cody Ferriero--if he is such a great fit for Cronin and NU, he should have just went there all along. Would have saved us from his lies, BS, and crying.

CW is a reputable news source? He is a good guy but is exactly that. A good local guy who makes a little extra cash charging people to read his blog. By no means is he a news source.
                  USHR is more reliable than you. How does that sound?

I dont speak for McCarthy but you also dont and neither does BC. He and his father do and they made it clear why they left , more than once. FYI, he committed to UVM on 6/26, decommitted to BC on 6/8, the same day CK got his green light to come to BC a year early, how conveniant.

No room at the inn if he is coming so go play juniors. Cant blame anyone for that trade as CK is one of the best players to come thru BC in many years
                  Seriously, can you read? I've already said this--I don't know the details of what happened. I never pretended to. What I do know is that USHR presented it in a completely different way than you. You are simply wrong (shocker). They reported that McCarthy wanted to come in a year earlier than what was agreed upon and BC said no/they didn't have room. I know a couple BC posters can confirm that this is what USHR reported.

what about Tiefenwerth? did he leave on his own?
                  What are you talking about? He's still listed as a 2011 recruit.

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
                    Bourque and Pineault were 14 when they committed right? If anything, those clowns are reason enough not to get commits from kids that age.
                    Chris Bourque-LW (8/15/02) Cushing Prep 5'8 165 1-29-86

(from heisenberg's site. so if accurate 16y6m (physical age))
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

What is with the Cody Ferriero bashing? Why shouldn't he do what he feels is right for him? The nasty bitterness that constantly crops up in the BC thread would make anyone reading it who doesn't know college hockey assume that BC finishes dead last in Hockey East every year.

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
                      HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
                      HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by mwade View Post
                        Why shouldn't he do what he feels is right for him?
                        He should. That's not the issue some of us have.

Comment

Originally posted by mwade View Post
                          What is with the Cody Ferriero bashing? Why shouldn't he do what he feels is right for him? The nasty bitterness that constantly crops up in the BC thread would make anyone reading it who doesn't know college hockey assume that BC finishes dead last in Hockey East every year.
                          Anyone without prior knowledge of college hockey reading this thread would see the banner on the side of the page selling BC national championship gear!

That being said, it should be very easy to see why this kid is taking some crap here. He entered into an agreement and backed out on it and let's be honest, the NCAA situation allows these kids to do so (provided they haven't signed a LOI) with total impunity but coaches really have to watch themselves because if they make a habit of it they get a bad reputation and it causes trouble with recruiting in the future. Above all, his quotes in the paper are absolutely idiotic and he's backtracking and lying to cover up the original intentions for his departure. I have no problem with a guy doing what he feels best. But running to the papers and lying to them is just sad. I'm just waiting for the next stupid thing to come out of his mouth.
                          Originally posted by reBlur
                          the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Virtually every scouting source had him listed as "arguably" New Englands most talented player in the draft this year. Tim Burke was shocked to see him available in 5th rd. He will mature under Cronin
                            You really think that scouts feel Ferriero is better than Coyle or Hayes?
                            Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

NU will finish better than BC next year.

NU will finish better than BC and they will go on to lose to Brown in St. Paul next April. May as well go for the entire pipedream.
                              Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                                You really think that scouts feel Ferriero is better than Coyle or Hayes?
                                no, I dont think they do

Talented vs 6'2" or 6'4"

D 1 vs an NHL prospect is two totally different things

Ferriero will be an immediate better fit than many because of his physical maturity etc
                                Coyle will as well. KH is still growing and might have to adjust but his smarts will carry him

Comment

Working...
                                X