HARVARD CRIMSON 2010-2011 - A New Beginning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HARVARD CRIMSON 2010-2011 - A New Beginning

Come on, eagleshockey, don't ****** it up with the Harvard folks. They are good people and run a great program.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
      Nothing like a guy who comes on these threads and admits that he is a homophobe. Real class!
      ...while complaining about personal insults, to boot. Insinuating that there is something wrong with someone's sexual choices is as personal as you can get.
      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

In the interest of focusing on Harvard hockey INCH - A-Z has a piece on Conor Morrison. http://insidecollegehockey.com/inch/...1/az-morrison/

Comment

Originally posted by H60Hockey View Post
          In the interest of focusing on Harvard hockey INCH - A-Z has a piece on Conor Morrison. http://insidecollegehockey.com/inch/...1/az-morrison/
          yeah, sanity returns.

Conor's going to be relied on a lot this year, imo. Have to hope he continues to make the jump we've seen from freshman to sophomore year like other players have in the past, and I imagine he will.

If Harvard gets a little scoring, and either of our two goaltenders reach their all-ECAC potential again (which I'm putting my non-existing and metaphorical money on) then Harvard will be in a good spot. The ECAC is wide open this year. Every team has design flaws (which I'll illustrate next month on the blog).

My biggest fear for Harvard though is that first stretch of games. 6 games, 5 against teams that will be in the middle of their seasons by that point, 4 on the road (including an always tough North Country trip), etc. Harvard needs to come out of that relatively unscathed to not push them in to deep of a hole to start the season off.
          Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
          Go Crimson!

Comment

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
            yeah, sanity returns.

Conor's going to be relied on a lot this year, imo. Have to hope he continues to make the jump we've seen from freshman to sophomore year like other players have in the past, and I imagine he will.

If Harvard gets a little scoring, and either of our two goaltenders reach their all-ECAC potential again (which I'm putting my non-existing and metaphorical money on) then Harvard will be in a good spot. The ECAC is wide open this year. Every team has design flaws (which I'll illustrate next month on the blog).

My biggest fear for Harvard though is that first stretch of games. 6 games, 5 against teams that will be in the middle of their seasons by that point, 4 on the road (including an always tough North Country trip), etc. Harvard needs to come out of that relatively unscathed to not push them in to deep of a hole to start the season off.
            Harvard will do just fine. Ted and Co. know hockey. I wouldn't worry!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Papa View Post
              Harvard will do just fine. Ted and Co. know hockey. I wouldn't worry!
              Not worried- just analyzing their strengths and weaknesses. And while they wouldn't use it as an excuse, one of their weaknesses is the Ivy League rules on the beginning of the season combined with their schedule.
              Go Crimson!

Comment

In the opening match of the 2010 soccer season the team drew 3200 fans. Build a winning hockey team and I bet we would draw the same. Oh, and #10 Harvard beat #13 Stanford 2-1.

Comment

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
                  Not worried- just analyzing their strengths and weaknesses. And while they wouldn't use it as an excuse, one of their weaknesses is the Ivy League rules on the beginning of the season combined with their schedule.
                  Al - Cornell has managed to overcome this same hurdle year in and year out. The scheduling Gods can help - playing Ivies as opposed to the non-Ivies in the begiining of the year can be a huge blessing.

Harvard's first 4 games - Union, RPI, SLU, Clarkson
                  Cornell's first 4 games - UNH, RIT, SLU, Clarkson

What is interesting is that Cornell has 2 exhibition games prior to playing UNH. That is smart scheduling and something Donato could employ to lessen the chance of an 0-4 start.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                    Al - Cornell has managed to overcome this same hurdle year in and year out. The scheduling Gods can help - playing Ivies as opposed to the non-Ivies in the begiining of the year can be a huge blessing.

Harvard's first 4 games - Union, RPI, SLU, Clarkson
                    Cornell's first 4 games - UNH, RIT, SLU, Clarkson

What is interesting is that Cornell has 2 exhibition games prior to playing UNH. That is smart scheduling and something Donato could employ to lessen the chance of an 0-4 start.
                    That's kind of my point though. The way the schedule broke, Cornell will have 4 games (2 exhibitions and two non-conference games) before facing an ECAC, non-Ivy opponent.

Harvard will have 0 games before that (possibly 1 if we add an exhibition really late to the process).

The Ivy League shootout hurt us this year- since Dartmouth is involved, our usual season opener against them is gone.

As for 0-4, the schedule to me presents two distinct worries. Week one- those are our first two competitive games. Week two- the North Country trip is always difficult to get a win on.

That being said, that's the worst case scenario. We're very good against Union historically, and the North Country teams will likely be having a down year. I was just saying, of all the schedules, Harvard's opening two weekends seemed to me the most challenging in the league because of the amount of games the rest of the conference, including the Ivies, will have played at that point. That's just our tradeoff for the Beanpot and thus having only 5 non-conference games to schedule, I guess.
                    Go Crimson!

Comment

• Re: HARVARD CRIMSON 2010-2011 - A New Beginning

Originally posted by H60Hockey View Post
                      In the opening match of the 2010 soccer season the team drew 3200 fans. Build a winning hockey team and I bet we would draw the same. Oh, and #10 Harvard beat #13 Stanford 2-1.
                      All college students, graduate students and faculty were admitted free. It was the first men's soccer game in the new soccer stadium and the first game for Harvard's new soccer coach. In addition it was a good attraction (Harvard vs. Stanford - both ranked teams) and was heavily promoted to the 1,600 incoming freshmen class which had not yet begun classes. All of this contributed to the abnormally high attendance.

Nevertheless I agree that a winning team plus some aggressive promotion will fill a lot of seats at Bright. Let's hope it happens this season.

GO CRIMSON!

Comment

A little pre-mature but its a start.

http://thecollegehockeyblog.com/2010...ockey-preview/

Comment

Originally posted by NIMH78 View Post
                          A little pre-mature but its a start.

http://thecollegehockeyblog.com/2010...ockey-preview/
                          Very interesting that this publication picks Ryan Carroll as the goalie on the all-ECAC first team. No other Crimson player mentioned. To no one's surprise Yale players dominate the picks. Could be they are building a dynasty.

GO CRIMSON!
                          Last edited by ALONZO; 09-12-2010, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Just found this on the Swedish Junior team site.

http://www.swehockey.se/Landslag/Her...November-2010/

Looks like Harvard has an exhibition against them November 1.

Comment

Originally posted by ALONZO View Post
                              Very interesting that this publication picks Ryan Carroll as the goalie on the all-ECAC first team. No other Crimson player mentioned. To no one's surprise Yale players dominate the picks. Could be they are building a dynasty.

GO CRIMSON!
                              Building a dynasty?......... I hope so. As to the choices on the blog,
                              I can't disagree with Little or O'Neill. As for Denny Kearney...... great young man who, like sister Hannah, swims in a very deep athletic gene pool, BUT...... he is NOT a defenseman!!!!!

Comment

New recruit, Brian Hart, formerly out of Brewster Academy and now a Junior with Exeter copming to Harvard for 2012. 6'1'' 200lb Forward who was the 2nd leading scorer last year.

Seems as though we beat out both Cornell & UNH for his services.

Comment

Working...
                                X