Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: HARVARD CRIMSON 2010-2011 - A New Beginning

Originally posted by eaglehockeyrules View Post
    Sunday, 17APR2011: On the way home from church today (around 12:30ish) I was listening to WEEI 850AM; they reported that Claude Julien is going to be fired after the B's lose up in Montreal... they also stated that the B's management is seriously considering Ted Donato as the next coach. Rumors abound! Anyone get any hint of this on campus?

Let's just say, conjecture here lads, if (and it is a big "if" given Donato's lack of success at H he is actually selected) who would you like to see replace him at H?
    Are you serious? Do you take anything that cpmes out of that station seriously?

It's crazy that a great sports town like Boston has to have a Sports radio program that is as poorly run and talentless as WEEI.

Comment

Point well taken about sports radio (in any city for that matter), but those jamokes were serious. Why would the WEEI guys haphazardly toss out Donato's name... a relatively unsuccessful D-1 coach in the lead role for the Bruins?! Sports radio, true, but behind every rumor there is a bit of truth. You know darn well Donato is under the microscope at H.

I thought it would be an interesting question. So Bothman [conjecture here] if Ted were to go to the B's who would you like to see take the reigns at H? I would not mind seeing Sneddon back at H.
      Last edited by eaglehockeyrules; 04-18-2011, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Point well taken about sports radio (in any city for that matter), but those jamokes were serious. Why would the WEEI guys haphazardly toss out Donato's name... a relatively unsuccessful D-1 coach in the lead role for the Bruins?! Sports radio, true, but behind every rumor there is a bit of truth. You know darn well Donato is under the microscope at H.

I thought it would be an interesting question. So Bothman [conjecture here] if Ted were to go to the B's who would you like to see take the reigns at H? I would not mind seeing Sneddon back at H.
        What are they going to talk about, the Red Sox right now?

I truly believe that whomever follows, has to be a Harvard guy. Someone who has played there and understands how players need to balance the schoolwork / hockey balance (A Chris Bourque at BU situation won't fly at Harvard).

Leahman (Union) & Sneddon (Vermont) are the obvious choices. Joe Marsh (SLU) was a rumored finalist during previous coaching changes. That guy is nothing but class and would be a great ambassador for Harvard.

Not sure which other former players would potentially want the gig. Lane MacDonald, CJ Young, Don Sweeney?

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post

I truly believe that whomever follows, has to be a Harvard guy. Someone who has played there and understands how players need to balance the schoolwork / hockey balance (A Chris Bourque at BU situation won't fly at Harvard).

Leahman (Union) & Sneddon (Vermont) are the obvious choices. Joe Marsh (SLU) was a rumored finalist during previous coaching changes. That guy is nothing but class and would be a great ambassador for Harvard.

Not sure which other former players would potentially want the gig. Lane MacDonald, CJ Young, Don Sweeney?
          i think leaman played at cortland
          not sure if that is a harvard extension campus or not

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
            i think leaman played at cortland
            not sure if that is a harvard extension campus or not
            Leaman was an Assistant Coach for Mazzalini. He has done an exceptional job at Union and was recently selected as the Division 1 Coach of the Year. If available, in my book he is the hands down choice to coach the Crimson if and when Donato moves on.

GO CRIMSON!

Comment

Originally posted by ALONZO View Post
              Leaman was an Assistant Coach for Mazzalini. He has done an exceptional job at Union and was recently selected as the Division 1 Coach of the Year. If available, in my book he is the hands down choice to coach the Crimson if and when Donato moves on.

GO CRIMSON!
              ...should Providence not get to him first.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                ...should Providence not get to him first.
                Also have to be concerned about Clarkson now that Roll has been fired.

GO CRIMSON!

Comment

Are you serious? Do you take anything that cpmes out of that station seriously?
                  No kidding. The list of college coaches who have gone on to be successful in the NHL is...um...well, short.

I know there are lots of former college players who have gone on to management and scouting roles with NHL teams, and I'm guessing there are probably some former players who've done some coaching (asst. or otherwise) that I don't know about, but the only college head coach I can think of who went on to be moderately successful as an NHL head coach was Herb Brooks. The only other one I know of for sure who tried it was Harkness, who lasted all of 38 games with the Red Wings. No offense to Donato, but he's no Herb Brooks.

Berenson may or may not have had a good career in the NHL coaching ranks had he stayed, but he started there, not in college.
                  If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

I couldn't agree more about Joe Marsh. I had the true pleasure of chatting with him at The Whale during the ECAC Quarterfinals. An enormously classy gentleman! His accent would certainly fit in Cambridge... but I suspect that he's too entreched in Canton!

Comment

Originally posted by yaledoc View Post
                      I couldn't agree more about Joe Marsh. I had the true pleasure of chatting with him at The Whale during the ECAC Quarterfinals. An enormously classy gentleman! His accent would certainly fit in Cambridge... but I suspect that he's too entreched in Canton!
                      I would honestly also worry about his age. Who knows when he's going to retire. However you're absolutely right that he seems quite classy. Not to mention, you could give him the worst players in the NCAA, and he'd still be able to get them to a point where they could get a halfway decent number of wins. Probably one of the best coaches out there (if you weren't allowed to pick your own, of course).

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                        I would honestly also worry about his age. Who knows when he's going to retire. However you're absolutely right that he seems quite classy. Not to mention, you could give him the worst players in the NCAA, and he'd still be able to get them to a point where they could get a halfway decent number of wins. Probably one of the best coaches out there (if you weren't allowed to pick your own, of course).
                        Joe is in his mid-50s I believe - I think he graduated from UNH in '77. He's been at it a long time, but he started young. He may well want to retire soon, but he could probably do a lot in ten years.

I don't think he's going anywhere, though. (I certainly hope not!!) He sounds like he really wants to continue teaching at SLU, whether he's coaching or not.

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post
                          Joe is in his mid-50s I believe - I think he graduated from UNH in '77. He's been at it a long time, but he started young. He may well want to retire soon, but he could probably do a lot in ten years.

I don't think he's going anywhere, though. (I certainly hope not!!) He sounds like he really wants to continue teaching at SLU, whether he's coaching or not.
                          I didn't think he would be going anywhere either. I had guessed that he's in his 60's, but you'd know better than I do, given you follow that team more closely. You guys have a gem up there.

Comment

Sunday, 17APR2011: On the way home from church today (around 12:30ish) I was listening to WEEI 850AM; they reported that Claude Julien is going to be fired after the B's lose up in Montreal... they also stated that the B's management is seriously considering Ted Donato as the next coach. Rumors abound! Anyone get any hint of this on campus?

Let's just say, conjecture here lads, if (and it is a big "if" given Donato's lack of success at H he is actually selected) who would you like to see replace him at H?
                            Despite the fact that there is a strong Harvard contingent running the Bruins these days, I doubt Teddy would be hired as their next coach for the following reasons:

1. If Julien were to go, Chiarelli might be going with him. Neely is now the Bruins president and is the steward of the franchise. If the Bruins don't win the next two games and he feels a change is in order, it won't just be the coach. It will be the GM as well along with possibly Donny Sweeney and John Weisbrod as the next GM would want to pick his own people. That would make it next to impossible that Teddy gets the job.

2. Since Teddy played in the NHL and is very familiar with how coaches come and go, I doubt he would leave the security of Harvard to coach professionals who would have little respect for his accomplishments at the college level. As a poster pointed out, Harkness was a legend in college hockey yet he failed miserably at the pro level. True, it is a different place and time but I just don't see it.

3. The Bruins tried at one time to lure Jack Parker out of the college ranks to take their head job and didn't get him. Again, even if the Harvard contingent stays on they know Teddy well enough to know that he isn't the guy for the job. They need someone who has won a Cup or two to bring that cred and hope to the fan base after so many failures to get out of the first or second round of the playoffs. Hiring Teddy would be a public relations nightmare and the Harvard 'nepotism' hoots and hollers would be heard loud and clear around town.
                            Last edited by Skate79; 04-21-2011, 08:06 AM.

Comment

This is a bit off topic but since we've introduced a discussion about pro hockey into the thread, I thought I would throw this tidbit out there. Couple of nights ago during the Tampa-Pittsburgh playoff game there was a faceoff in the Tampa zone. Taking the faceoff against one another was Craig Adams '99 and Dom Moore '03. Could it possibly be the first time that Harvard men faced off against one another in a pro game? At least a playoff game (that much I'm pretty sure of).

Comment

This conversation is an interesting way to skirt around the issue of wanting to talk about who will come after Teddy without actually suggesting he should be fired / replaced. Bothman, one person you left out of your list of HH alumni is Sean McCann who played at Harvard in the 90s and was an assistant coach there until he left to coach St. Sebs.

Comment

Working...
                                X