Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: HARVARD CRIMSON 2010-2011 - A New Beginning

Originally posted by cornellgradyalefan View Post
    Given your team's recent success, does this mean that Donato doesn't get fired now?
    A nine win season is just that, a recent success. Is a 9-19-1 regular season really something to be proud of and boast about because you've won 5 out of the last 6 when you've under performed and under achieved all season long?!? I say no, but it seems it is becoming the norm at Harvard. Yes, I pray to God that Scalise has the stones to fire Donato, and hire a professional coach (or a guy who at least has coached!) who can get these players to perform, achieve and win on a regular basis - Teddy '91 has proven he sure as heck cannot do it.

Year in and year out H gets top notch recruits (just read what the Harvard Faithful post in this forum), and it sure looks like Mazzoleni, as much as he was hated by the H community because he was not a H man himself, was at least capable to getting H a .500 season out of his teams.

My advice... do not be so quick to drink the Harvard Kool Aid, or you'll end up like the New England Patriots fans believing the 14-2 hype. That said, I would love to see H be a spoiler team.

9-19-1 is vulgar for this Harvard team; good job Teddy "the educator" and "classy family guy" AB '91 - too bad you stink as a coach... and the kids on the team suffer the most; the faithful fans here have an incredible faith in you. Hey, I have no coaching experience whatsoever, but I have a Harvard degree and I can skate, so maybe Harvard Athletics will hire me for a coaching position!
    Last edited by eaglehockeyrules; 03-01-2011, 09:11 AM.

Comment

As a complete outsider, I thought Donato was cooked after their loss to NU in the Beanpot (kinda like a final nail in the coffin). Now, seeing as they have played a little better at the right time, I wouldn't be surprised if he's given another year. Would be curious to see what the insiders think. You guys must be fairly confident in your matchup with Clarkson considering the recent win.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        As a complete outsider, I thought Donato was cooked after their loss to NU in the Beanpot (kinda like a final nail in the coffin). Now, seeing as they have played a little better at the right time, I wouldn't be surprised if he's given another year. Would be curious to see what the insiders think. You guys must be fairly confident in your matchup with Clarkson considering the recent win.
        I don't know that we can be 'fairly confident' of anything after only winning nine games this season. We were horrible both at home and on the road and have had zero success at Cheel. Clarkson will be coming in steaming mad after losing to us at Bright. They were overconfident and paid for it. We have played much better lately and are finding the back of the net which is always important. I hope we can take this series but I'm not holding my breath.

As for Teddy, no one knows what Scalise will do but from what I understand from third parties, I think Teddy is safe for another year. Especially if he can get us to Atlantic City in the tournament.

Comment

Less than 24 hours to get your ECAC Pick The Playoffs 2011 Edition Picks in. Remember 7:00PM Friday Knight is the cutoff. LGT LGT LGT
          Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
          And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
          WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
          If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

This may have been posted elsewhere, Devin Tringale has committed to Harvard for the 2012 season. I apologize if it was on your recruit thread. He's a 6-0' 190 lb. Jr. attending Lawrence Academy. He's from Medford and appears to be a solid player.

Comment

I could not make the trek to Potsdam. Anyone who was there want to make any comments on the game(s).

I saw in the box score that penalties were very low. Anything else of note. Just from the recap sounded like good disciplined hockey to me.

Comment

I wouldn't say disciplined as much as the refs putting their whistles away for the playoffs. Harvard couldn't get out of their own zone. Danny's goal was a real softie for Karpowich. Harvard had 9 shots entering the third period and they woke up after getting scored on a little, putting an extra 9 shots on the net after that. Mikey's goal was a nice shot from the slot. Killorn had the most legs, everyone else seemed sluggish (save for Carroll). Will definitely need to see more intensity and better play tonight.
                Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
                Go Crimson!

Comment

Winning on the road at Clarkson (annoying bell and all) is no easy task. SOG disparity, etc - that was a heck of a win!

Clarkson is now 1 loss away from the golf course. I expect them to come out flying tonight. Harvard needs to be able to withstand that initial flurry and perhaps score an opportunistic goal to settle everything down.

I don;t want to have to play Game 3 on the road. Tonight's game is huge!

Comment

Told ya you guys should be "fairly confident". As disappointing as this season has been, you guys must be pretty encouraged that Harvard is playing its best hockey at the end of the season.

Comment

I couldn't go to he game but did listen on WHRB. Sounded like a great game, They seemed to keep getting better as the night wore on. Whatever Teddy said to the team should be bottled for use in further games.

Harvard seemed to play a very disciplined game. Clarkson was not. Clarkson was hurt by 51 minutes of penalties with two game misconducts. One of the majors resulted in 2 PP goals. Made the difference between 4-4 and 6-4.

Earlier in the season I was not happy with this team but they have been on a continual upward path since mid-season. It makes me proud of this team.

Edited to add: I was very disappointed with WHRB tonight. Despite the fact that a basketball game was available on streaming medias WHRB preempted the hockey in the third period for several minutes to broadcast the basketball. I was listening for hockey, if I had wanted to listen to basketball I would have used my computer to do so.
                      Last edited by Veritas; 03-05-2011, 10:11 PM.

Comment

I'm totally stunned by this weekend's results. Sure the Crimson have been playing better but to take two in a row at Cheel is amazing. Guess it points to the parity in the league this year.

The Biega brothers came up big this weekend. Can they keep it going next weekend? If we get Union, we did give them a battle in January so who knows? Already the team has exceeded expectations and so anything from here on is gravy.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                          I'm totally stunned by this weekend's results. Sure the Crimson have been playing better but to take two in a row at Cheel is amazing. Guess it points to the parity in the league this year.

The Biega brothers came up big this weekend. Can they keep it going next weekend? If we get Union, we did give them a battle in January so who knows? Already the team has exceeded expectations and so anything from here on is gravy.
                          I was not. Clarkson had a dismal home record. Congrats to the Crimson. You move on and we move on to the golf coarse. . BTW according to the Clarkson broadcast the 5 min major was a joke especially looking at the replay between the 2nd and 3rd periods. Alslammerz, did you see the play. What did the view thru the Crimson glasses say. Just curious.
                          Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                          And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                          WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                          If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                            I was not. Clarkson had a dismal home record. Congrats to the Crimson. You move on and we move on to the golf coarse. . BTW according to the Clarkson broadcast the 5 min major was a joke especially looking at the replay between the 2nd and 3rd periods. Alslammerz, did you see the play. What did the view thru the Crimson glasses say. Just curious.
                            Well didn't see the replay but it was a huge hit by the boards and Everson wasn't near the puck. Did not see if it was contact to the head but in the aftermath, it shook Everson up enough that he took his helmet off right away while waiting for the trainer. It may have been from the impact but I thought Pokuluk left his feet that it was at least charging. Again, was paying more attention to the puck though so only saw it in the corner of my eye.

As for the second misconduct, it was at the 20:00 mark and was charged to the bench but unclear what it was for. There was some talk in the press box after the game about it possibly being an error.

On to other posters, as much as I didn't feel like driving 8 hours to sit in the press box and not broadcast this game for any amount of time, the fact was even I saw the importance of having men's basketball clinching its first ever Ivy title be live on the radio as the countdown began. Honestly, it was me pointing out that a) we have contracts to do hockey and b) that in no terms was I driving 8 hours and not doing this game that prevented basketball from being on all night instead of hockey. I'm pretty much guaranteeing that I will make the exact same call if something similar comes up in the future. I understand your concern but I also just had to answer an email that said "hockey? when the biggest basketball game in school history was occuring?" so I did my best to balance both sides of that coin.
                            Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
                            Go Crimson!

Comment

Had a feeling about this series

Congrats Harvard. As for the bball team, if Princeton beats Penn, they will play Harvard in a playoff for the NCAA tourney berth.

Comment

What a weekend for the Harvard men's hockey team. They went into a very difficult environment with the odds stacked against them, and they delivered. The fact that they came out and outshot Clarskon 19-9 in the first period last night was huge.

Lots of interesting scenarios with the two other series going to a game 3 tonight. Harvard could play Yale, Union, or Dartmouth. This may seem strange, but I would prefer to play Yale or Union, as I think Harvard matches up better against those two teams than with Dartmouth.

I can tell you one thing, no one is going to be overlooking this Harvard team who has won 7 of 8.

Great job team!

Comment

Working...
                                X