Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: HARVARD CRIMSON 2010-2011 - A New Beginning

Originally posted by ALONZO View Post
    Can't recall a more anemic record by a Harvard hockey team. Hopefully some new blood next year will spark a revival.

GO CRIMSON!
    that sounds familiar

Comment

This is so tragic and heartbreaking. I know that everyone in the hockey community sends their collective prayers and condolences to the Cavanagh family.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...t_cavanagh.php

Comment

Yes, I too think it is the poor coaching on Donato's part. He should be fired if the Icers have another 9 win season.

Comment

This very bad stretch of Harvard Hockey reminds me of the last two seasons Tomassoni's coached; lack-luster, boring and not inspired.

The 1980s are getting further and further behind Harvard Hockey.

Comment

Nice recruiting win (over Minnesota who probably insisted that he spend an extra year in Juniors) as Harvard lands Max Everson. He is projected to be a 3rd - 4th rounder in this year's Draft and is a two-way defenseman with some offensive upside to his game.

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_arti...errer_id=32760

Harvard's 2011 Class is shaping up to be a a real gem!

Harvard really has a blue line that will be very, very sound in a few years!
            Last edited by bothman; 01-11-2011, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
              Nice recruiting win (over Minnesota who probably insisted that he spend an extra year in Juniors) as Harvard lands Max Everson. He is projected to be a 3rd - 4th rounder in this year's Draft and is a two-way defenseman with some offensive upside to his game.

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_arti...errer_id=32760

Harvard's 2011 Class is shaping up to be a a real gem!

Harvard really has a blue line that will be very, very sound in a few years!
              Who's gonna coach them?

Comment

Even this blog is dragging its way through the season.

We've recruited some real talent over the past several years, we just haven't turned them into a hockey team. Every great team I've ever played on or watched has one key component; a great coach. And I've watched plenty of teams with good talent but a lousy coach fail. I think the world of Teddy, but these kids are much better than they are showing.

Comment

This is hard to say, but I really feel for H fans. Almost everybody loves Ted Donato, all over the game of hockey. He's funny, articulate and principled. He's also a player who excelled at every level - high school, Harvard, Team USA and the NHL through a strong work ethic and maximzing his talent. As someone who has known Ted since his Harvard playing days, there are few people in all of hockey who are more enjoyable to be around. He has the kind of magnetic personality most of us wish we had...He's not acerbic like Jack Parker, nor bland like Keith Allain, nor as tightly-wound like Kevin Sneddon.

However, it's becoming pretty clear that as a head coach, while he recruits very well and graduates his players, his on-ice coaching abilities are not, as yet, translating in getting his recruits to play together and win hockey games. Now Harvard may have a different set of criteria other than winning games that may keep Teddy employed, but I have to think that Teddy's rope is getting shorter, especially as Yale has become a nationally-ascendant program.

I would love to see Teddy start winning games and have a great second half of the season, both for H and for him. A strong Harvard program is important for all of D-I hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by ALONZO View Post
                    My guess is that we'll finish the season at 6-25 or 7-24 in a tight race for the ECAC cellar with Colgate and Cornell. Can't recall a more anemic record by a Harvard hockey team. Hopefully some new blood next year will spark a revival.

GO CRIMSON!
                    I can. My senior year we were 7-18-1 not counting Beanpot games. We were god awful playing our home games on the road for the entire season. But this Crimson team might surpass my senior year for futility. Seriously, can it get much worse? As much I as like Teddy and respect his hockey pedigree, something has to give. I doubt the administration will sit still while Yale is ranked #1 in the country. If their recruiting accolades mean anything, there are enough players on this team to be much better than their record.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                      A strong Harvard program is important for all of D-I hockey.
                      I like how you started your post, "I really feel for Harvard fans..." But, why is Harvard important for D-1 hockey when Yale is 15-1-0 and # 1 in the polls?

I do think it is time for Donato to be fired; sure, he's a great guy, everyone on campus loves him, flowers, rainbows, unicorns, I heard they are putting an icon of him next to the Statue of Three Lies, etc., but he still can't coach worth a hill of beans.

Truth be asked, is Donato capable of coaching this team to at least ten wins this season? If H gets 10 wins, will, rather should that save Donato's job?

Comment

Harvard picks up a 2013 LD recruit in Victor Newell for 2013. A small, puck moving defenseman who has put up some impressive point totals in the BCHL.

What's is interesting is that he had committed to Yale in April 2010 for the CLass of 2011 or 2012. Anyone know what gives there?

Comment

Harvard Hockey 3-13-0, 2-9-0.

Instead of picking up Johnny Cupcake recruits, why not pick up a new coach that can actually coach the kids he has?! FWIW it sure seems Yale won the recruiting wars anyways; 15-2-0 (with a # 1 ranking for nearly 2 months) sure appears to be better than anything Harvard has posted in the last 5-7 years.

Comment

Originally posted by eaglehockeyrules View Post
                            I like how you started your post, "I really feel for Harvard fans..." But, why is Harvard important for D-1 hockey when Yale is 15-1-0 and # 1 in the polls?
                            Harvard hockey is important to D-I for several reasons:

1) Yale hockey excellence is relatively recent and largely localized to the New Haven area. Harvard still carries some weight in the Boston area, which has a much more influential media presence, especially with BC and BU also being strong programs. As Masschusetts continues to decline as a feeder to NCAA programs, Harvard is an important part of the hockey eco-system in Boston.

2) Harvard's relevance lifts its rivals. both Cornell and Yale, in making Ivy hockey a legitimate high level recruiting destination that competes for high level players with scholarship schools.

3) The Harvard brand name in hockey has a lot of excellence associated with it, and it's a brand that needs to be relevant in D-I hockey. In other words, having Harvard be a strong program brings more casual and TV interest than programs such as RIT or Bemidji, which have taken seats at the NCAA table in recent years while Harvard slumbers.

Comment

1) Yale hockey excellence is relatively recent and largely localized to the New Haven area. Harvard still carries some weight in the Boston area, which has a much more influential media presence, especially with BC and BU also being strong programs. As Masschusetts continues to decline as a feeder to NCAA programs, Harvard is an important part of the hockey eco-system in Boston.

2) Harvard's relevance lifts its rivals. both Cornell and Yale, in making Ivy hockey a legitimate high level recruiting destination that competes for high level players with scholarship schools.

3) The Harvard brand name in hockey has a lot of excellence associated with it, and it's a brand that needs to be relevant in D-I hockey. In other words, having Harvard be a strong program brings more casual and TV interest than programs such as RIT or Bemidji, which have taken seats at the NCAA table in recent years while Harvard slumbers.
                              I am not buying your tonic. Are you seriusly saying Yale has no juice compared to Harvard because of media coverage and location?! You're nuts!

I think you're buying into that Beanpot mentality too.

Looking over NCAA hockey history and the history between H and Y hockey, Y once again has many more unbeaten/undefeated seasons compared to H (just like Y holding more/better stats than H in football over history - not recent Clifton Dawson years, but history).

Now I'll give you in the modern era Cornell clearly takes the cake, as they've been the consistent powerhouse in the ECAC since that boring '70 season... Y and H doing nothing for nearly 15 years, until Donato did something right and actually got the GWG in the '89 NCAA tourny - he has done jack squat since.

Harvard may be first in everything, but they are certainly not record holders compared to Yale. Any way you slice it, Harvard has been a 1-out team for several years under Mazz; the only reason H made it into the tourney is they won the Whitelaw.

As for Harvard's Brand.. ha! The brand consists of losing seasons, with mediocre talent, and a rotten coach.

Will Donato get this team to double digit wins?! I am doubting it.

Comment

Puck Swami,

Please refrain from quoting eaglehockeydude. You are rendering my "Ignore" button obsolete! Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X