HARVARD CRIMSON 2010-2011 - A New Beginning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: HARVARD CRIMSON 2010-2011 - A New Beginning

Hayden (2013 recruit out of Brunswick Academy) to Yale. Not sure if Harvard was on the radar (hard to believe Harvard wasn't in the mix), but he's a highly touted recruit and losing to Yale is certainly reflective of the times...

Comment

Mini-gallery from tonight's game finished now - The mini-gallery is finished now - http://www.uscho.com/photos/2010/11/...ck-at-harvard/

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
      HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
      HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
        1) Is Harvard recruiting the wrong players and are not effectively judging talent (I don't think this is the case because they are winning recruiting battles against some high end schools who have also latched onto certain guys and tried to recruit them).
        2) Is Harvard not employing the right offensive and defensive systems - ones that meld players into a cohesive, and well-oiled machine on both ends of the ice so that players play and work together? (I think this is the problem - Harvard seems to take talent and not create a system that optimizes the deployment of that talent.)

My personal feeling is that if this season continues on its current trajectory, Donato will be given notice and be given another year to right the ship. Harvard has a very strong 2011 class (potential NHL first rounder and their goalie of the future who could start as a frosh - one of the best goaltenders in the country for his age).
        Well said Both. I particularly liked your point about offensive and defensive systems. When you look at the players recruited and their results from high school to D-1, something is not translating. I know that Teddy and Patrick Foley can recognize talent so that can't be the issue although they are not as talented as teams from the early nineties. But clearly the systems aren't working and these players for whatever reason are not adapting or executing at a level that gives Harvard a chance to win night in and night out.

You are completely correct when you say Yale and Princeton are recruiting from the same pool. No excuses there. If we are losing kids to these schools, then one needs to look at other factors including the coaching staff. I like Teddy personally and have enjoyed conversing with him on hockey in the past. But if the results aren't there, well, something has to give.

Comment

Bothman and skate, I think you both are right on. The players are there (at least not to be doing this poorly), but something is getting lost in translation. We are winning recruiting battles (consistently) against schools that are getting better results on the ice. Does this come down to coaching? Maybe. Either way, the product on the ice is not reflective of the players we have, and that is a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by sam12 View Post
            Does this come down to coaching? Maybe. Either way, the product on the ice is not reflective of the players we have, and that is a problem.
            See also, Minnesota, University of. But then again, did Lucia forget how to coach? Seems unlikely, so I don't think you can automatically say that an underperforming team (compared with recruiting expectations) is definitely a result of bad coaching.
            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

More and more I'm thinking that we're running into a perfect storm scenario. Look at Yale. New coach with a system, kids recruited with the skill sets to play that system and coach able to sell/teach the system to the kids... and they execute; Tim Murphy comes to mind. With the current edition of Harvard hockey there seems to be a disconnect all around. The majority of these kids were successful before they got to Cambridge, some very. Now they don't score, don't defend, are not dangerous in any aspect of the game. Think there must be big changes in all aspects of the program of we won't even equal the 9 wins of last year! Gotta find some heart!

Comment

I'll tell you what, we'll trade you Allain for Murphy straight up.

Having grown up with Cozza-Restic, I can't STAND that we've lost 9 of last 10 (soon to be 10 for 11 with the dynamic duo of Tom "4th & 23 is good for me" Williams and Patrick "Pick 6" Witt.

Don't get me wrong, we're enjoying this hockey renaissance, but even so, we don't have the goaltending to go all the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Yale86 View Post
                  I'll tell you what, we'll trade you Allain for Murphy straight up.

Having grown up with Cozza-Restic, I can't STAND that we've lost 9 of last 10 (soon to be 10 for 11 with the dynamic duo of Tom "4th & 23 is good for me" Williams and Patrick "Pick 6" Witt.

Don't get me wrong, we're enjoying this hockey renaissance, but even so, we don't have the goaltending to go all the way.
                  No thanks. We don't have much to cheer about these days but winning THE GAME at least makes the winter palatable.

Are you sure about the goaltending? Seems like you have everything else. And you've got some time to straighten things out before March.

Comment

The Game was fantastic! I'm a season ticket holder, and Friends of Harvard Football member. I've been going to The Stadium since 1994 on a regular basis. I love the turf, the lights, the banners. Tim Murphy has created a lot of excitement in his program, as well as five Ivy titles, and 9 seasons of 7+ wins.

Maybe Murphy should mentor Donato.

Donato is not cutting the mustard as the coach, and he needs to go. Reading the last few weeks of posts on here, I see that even some of the H faithful are saying enough is enough.

Yale is Number 1 - enough said.

Comment

This game is depressing. I guess since I'm pro-Harvard I should be happy it is only 1-0..

HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
                      HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

FYI, Harvard is auctioning off a sweater signed by all the members of this season's team ($150 is the minimum opening bid) - http://bit.ly/hcauction Also auctioning a puck signed by Donato ($60 - seriously? - is the minimum opening bid).

HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

Just a reminder that WHRB will NOT have coverage of the tournament next week in Vermont. We'll be back for Harvard-Brown in January. Thanks for listening.
                          Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
                          Go Crimson!

Comment

Not quite halfway through the season, but close enough so here's a mid-season review and a look at the month ahead.
                            Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
                            Go Crimson!

Comment

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
                              Not quite halfway through the season, but close enough so here's a mid-season review and a look at the month ahead.
                              Al - good summary. I've got to be honest with you. As much of a diehard Harvard hockey fan as I am, it has been tough to follow this team...and it takes a great deal for me not to be dedicated to Harvard hockey. Just not a very fun team to watch, listen to, etc....and the proof is in the pudding when you look at the record.

Things are not very Bright for the Harvard men's hockey team this year.

Comment

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
                                My guess is that we'll finish the season at 6-25 or 7-24 in a tight race for the ECAC cellar with Colgate and Cornell. Can't recall a more anemic record by a Harvard hockey team. Hopefully some new blood next year will spark a revival.

GO CRIMSON!

Comment

Working...
                                X