HARVARD CRIMSON 2010-2011 - A New Beginning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: HARVARD CRIMSON 2010-2011 - A New Beginning

Freshman Andrew Calof with 7pts in 4 games for Princeton. I am thinking he would have looked really good donning Crimson.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
      Freshman Andrew Calof with 7pts in 4 games for Princeton. I am thinking he would have looked really good donning Crimson.
      Ouch.

Comment

Great job last night. Competed in the first, dominated the 2nd, and hung on in the 3rd - something you have to be able to do in a hostile barn on the road.

Clarkson will come out flying tonight after getting absolutely hammered in their barn by Dartmouth last night. Harvard has to be ready for a tough 1st period!

Comment

Great job last night. Competed in the first, dominated the 2nd, and hung on in the 3rd - something you have to be able to do in a hostile barn on the road.

Clarkson will come out flying tonight after getting absolutely hammered in their barn by Dartmouth last night. Harvard has to be ready for a tough 1st period!
          Agreed. Big win for the Crimson last night. North Country trips are tough. But what does it say about Clarkson that they got hammered at Cheel last night? Dartmouth is good but they are not Yale. Clarkson may come out with fire and brimstone but they can't be that good that they dominate tonight's game. Can they?

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
            Agreed. Big win for the Crimson last night. North Country trips are tough. But what does it say about Clarkson that they got hammered at Cheel last night? Dartmouth is good but they are not Yale. Clarkson may come out with fire and brimstone but they can't be that good that they dominate tonight's game. Can they?
            One can only hope. After getting spanked (destroyed) by UNO, they came back the next night and beat SCSU.

However with 3 D on the shelf and Sexton probably gone for the year, I look for the Flying Biega Brothers to get more shots than Clarkson does.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

........................... Clarkson may come out with fire and brimstone but they can't be that good that they dominate tonight's game. Can they?
              Well they did not dominate the 1st, they did semi dominate period 2 and played period 3 even. Result 3-1 Clarkson win.
              Richter I don't think ever saw the 1st 2 goals, a nice tip in front and a shot from the point. 3rd goal he got out of position stopping a shot by Tamblyn on a great hustle play and Freeman converted into the open net. Harvard should have been up 2 or 3 to zip in the first. Shot wide on 2 wide open nets and had at least one other grade A chance to score that they could not bury. Harvards goal was on a defensive miscue at mid ice by Clarkson and Mike Biega took the puck, skated over the blue line into the slot and absolutely hit a rifle shot over the right leg of Karpowich into the back of the net. Was a goal scorers goal. Clarkson really needed that win. A thanks to the Crimson for obliging.
              Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
              And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
              WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
              If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

• You can't win of you don't score. Harvard has played 5 games thus far, and goals for are 1,2,4,1,0...

We knew this team lacks scoring ability, but this is ridiculous.

Comment

You can't win of you don't score. Harvard has played 5 games thus far, and goals for are 1,2,4,1,0...

We knew this team lacks scoring ability, but this is ridiculous.
                  Not really. This team is bereft of frontline ability and skill. Killorn is their best forward but that isn't saying much given the lack of talent on this team. Teddy can say all the right things but at the end of the day (or night), the team can't put the puck in the ocean. Last night's game against Dartmouth was an embarrassment. The Green's forwards blew through us like we were Swiss cheese and our forwards continually had problems creating any sort of offense. As I said in an earlier post, I predict that this Harvard team will be the worst in college hockey for goals scored.

I never thought I would see the day when Yale would be nationally ranked in the Top Five and Harvard would be a bottom feeder. But that is exactly what has happened and I'm not sure what will turn it around. Better recruiting obviously. Better coaching. Maybe. Goaltending is the least of our problems this year. Next year, who knows?

Comment

Not really. This team is bereft of frontline ability and skill. Killorn is their best forward but that isn't saying much given the lack of talent on this team. Teddy can say all the right things but at the end of the day (or night), the team can't put the puck in the ocean. Last night's game against Dartmouth was an embarrassment. The Green's forwards blew through us like we were Swiss cheese and our forwards continually had problems creating any sort of offense. As I said in an earlier post, I predict that this Harvard team will be the worst in college hockey for goals scored.

I never thought I would see the day when Yale would be nationally ranked in the Top Five and Harvard would be a bottom feeder. But that is exactly what has happened and I'm not sure what will turn it around. Better recruiting obviously. Better coaching. Maybe. Goaltending is the least of our problems this year. Next year, who knows?
                    This is a well-taken point. It's tough to compare Harvard to BC because of the scholarship and academic disparitiues.

However, Yale is recruiting from the same pastures at Harvard with the same limitations. How is that Keith Allain has assembled such a team (and Harvard has won the majority of the recruiting battles with Yale) whereas Harvard has not.

1) Is Harvard recruiting the wrong players and are not effectively judging talent (I don't think this is the case because they are winning recruiting battles against some high end schools who have also latched onto certain guys and tried to recruit them).
                    2) Is Harvard not employing the right offensive and defensive systems - ones that meld players into a cohesive, and well-oiled machine on both ends of the ice so that players play and work together? (I think this is the problem - Harvard seems to take talent and not create a system that optimizes the deployment of that talent.)

My personal feeling is that if this season continues on its current trajectory, Donato will be given notice and be given another year to right the ship. Harvard has a very strong 2011 class (potential NHL first rounder and their goalie of the future who could start as a frosh - one of the best goaltenders in the country for his age).

Comment

I've always taken the red line and walked from Harvard Sq station, but want to drive for Tuesday night's game. I looked on the Crimson Athletic site and all that was there confused me. Talked about some gate you needed a pass to enter from, but where can the general public park?

Thanks.

Comment

This is a well-taken point. It's tough to compare Harvard to BC because of the scholarship and academic disparitiues.

My personal feeling is that if this season continues on its current trajectory, Donato will be given notice and be given another year to right the ship. Harvard has a very strong 2011 class (potential NHL first rounder and their goalie of the future who could start as a frosh - one of the best goaltenders in the country for his age).
                        I'm not sure what our problem is. Initially I thought our defense and goalkeeping were solid and we were losing because we couldn't score. Then, along comes Dartmouth, and we give up 13 goals in two games. Is it the coaching or the players...or both?

Whatever my guess is that Donato has been alerted and, if things don't improve, this will be his last season.

GO CRIMSON!

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                          I've always taken the red line and walked from Harvard Sq station, but want to drive for Tuesday night's game. I looked on the Crimson Athletic site and all that was there confused me. Talked about some gate you needed a pass to enter from, but where can the general public park?

Thanks.
                          IIRC, if you enter near Harvard Stadium off North Harvard Street, it's $10 to park and you head to a lot behind the Bright. But I mostly walk and am terrible with street names so don't completely quote me on it.
                          Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
                          Go Crimson!

Comment

However, Yale is recruiting from the same pastures at Harvard with the same limitations. How is that Keith Allain has assembled such a team (and Harvard has won the majority of the recruiting battles with Yale) whereas Harvard has not.

1) Is Harvard recruiting the wrong players and are not effectively judging talent (I don't think this is the case because they are winning recruiting battles against some high end schools who have also latched onto certain guys and tried to recruit them).
                            2) Is Harvard not employing the right offensive and defensive systems - ones that meld players into a cohesive, and well-oiled machine on both ends of the ice so that players play and work together? (I think this is the problem - Harvard seems to take talent and not create a system that optimizes the deployment of that talent.)

I like Harvard's freshman class but as far as the 2011 class kudos has to go to Princeton. They nabbed a gem in Zach Hyman. The kid is a monster. Tough on the boards and a goal scoring machine. Drafted in the 5th by the Panthers but the way he plays he looks like the steal of the draft. CBC said the same thing before the draft. The kid is tearing up the OJHL. 22 games 56 points. Also losing Calof hurts especially when you team him up with Hyman at Princeton.

Don't get me wrong I think Harvard has good talent and I like T.D. Things will turn around. Petr Placek will be a welcome addition. But the Calof-Hyman tandem will be crazy next year at Princeton. And we can't rule out Yale. They will keep the motor running. Makes for interesting times.

Comment

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
                              IIRC, if you enter near Harvard Stadium off North Harvard Street, it's $10 to park and you head to a lot behind the Bright. But I mostly walk and am terrible with street names so don't completely quote me on it.
                              I think that is gate 6 - if you are coming from Storrow Drive from downtown (and now I'm blanking on the exit name - it isn't the first big "Square" one, but the second) - anyway if you know that part of it, you turn left and then it is the first right into the Athletic Complex (there's a pedestrian only gate that you will see first and then you'll hit gate 6). Not sure what time they set up the pay to park guys as I normally get there really early. A lot of people seem to park closer to the football stadium to get out of the lots quicker.

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
                              HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
                              HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

Forcing myself to "spam" everyone today (well the threads of teams I've shot this season at least).

Having a Cyber Monday sale on http://HockeyPhotography.com - 10% off prints with coupon code 2010-10 (enter on checkout page) or 15% off orders of $150 or more with coupon code 2010-15.

You can find Harvard galleries here - http://hockeyphotography.photoshelte...000qxp2LGXXRvA -
                                or enter your favorite player's name in the search box here - http://hockeyphotography.photoshelter.com/search-page

Prints make great holiday gifts for yourself or someone else.

Thanks,
                                -Melissa

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
                                HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
                                HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X