Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hockey East Tourney on the Move

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
    Obviously, we should construct a Euclidean distance model to determine the true center of Hockey East, at which spot we should build an 18k seat arena, along the lines of the Xcel Energy Center. We should then do everything in our power to develop a world class city around said arena, at which point we should immediately and permanently relocate the Hockey East tournament.

OR we could just leave the d@mn thing in Boston.

Whichever.
    here's the center of HEA:
    42.909558,-71.257252
    click, or punch those coords into google maps.

If you build it.....

r
    Last edited by cetihcra; 07-28-2010, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
      There's a reason I didn't list UML in there. Regardless of whether an advantage or not (let's be honest, it's probably a small advantage), I think it's still highly overrated.

What's highly underrated is the focus these guys exhibit, which takes away a lot of the disadvantage of never playing in a big building before. The game is played between the glass and that's what these guys are focused on (incredibly focused, I might add).

Also note in my above post, I really should not have even mentioned BU and BC freshmen because as you had noted, they will have already been there before because of the Piszpot.

In the end, I think the whole nature of your post was silly... no offense.
      The Lowell team that made the Garden a couple of years ago wanted the big stage at the Garden and nearly won the HE title. Who the heck would want to play in Providence (No offense to Rhode Island)?
      Let's go Lowell.

Comment

[QUOTE=cetihcra;4828405]here's the center of HEA:

perfect!! about 7-8 miles from my house. when does construction start?

Comment

Regarding the question about when the out of town teams arrive to Boston for the semi's, they are required to attend the Hockey East Banquet on that Thursday. The banquet is at Royal Sonesta where the teams stay.
          "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by Gainzo View Post
            The Lowell team that made the Garden a couple of years ago wanted the big stage at the Garden and nearly won the HE title. Who the heck would want to play in Providence (No offense to Rhode Island)?
            If this goes through (HUGE if), I can think of 10 teams off the top of my head that would want to play in Providence.
            #NewMass

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
              How many games had all the Lowell players played when they made the Garden 2 years ago?

My quess less combined than every freshman on BC. And the upper classmen at BC/BU etc would all have had about a dozen by then.

You cant say having played more in a big stage like that is not an advantage.
              if you, or blaise, want guys with experience playing there - go to longmeadow and recruit, or scituate, or hingham, or newburyport, or cm, or bch, or blah blah blaty blah blah.
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
                Regarding the question about when the out of town teams arrive to Boston for the semi's, they are required to attend the Hockey East Banquet on that Thursday. The banquet is at Royal Sonesta where the teams stay.
                Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                  Regardless of whether an advantage or not (let's be honest, it's probably a small advantage)
                  Boy that must have hurt to agree with anything I said even a little bit.

Its not much but I will take it.
                  New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                    Obviously, we should construct a Euclidean distance model to determine the true center of Hockey East, at which spot we should build an 18k seat arena, along the lines of the Xcel Energy Center. We should then do everything in our power to develop a world class city around said arena, at which point we should immediately and permanently relocate the Hockey East tournament.

OR we could just leave the d@mn thing in Boston.

Whichever.
                    I laugh every time I hear Boston pols trumpet 'their' city as 'world-class.' These are the people who feel that the world ends at the Weston Toll Booths. Then again, Boston pols don't get out much. Parochialism runs rampant among all of them.
                    Chris V
                    Nexton (Summerville) South Carolina

Comment

Boy that must have hurt to agree with anything I said even a little bit.

Its not much but I will take it.
                      whoosh
                      “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                      Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                      Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                      National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

The league really should concider a move as the current set up gives the Boston schools a unfair advantage each year. Here are several reasons.
                        So nobody thinks I am bashing Boston let it be known I lived in Mass for most of my early years and am a fan of all Boston teams so this is not about Boston but what is fair for all HE teams

1. Home Ice

All 3 Boston schools get to play the 2 games at the Beanpot during the second half of the season which no one can say is not an advantage. Most of the upperclassmen on those teams probably already played there 2 to 4 times a year while other teams coming in might have most or all of their roster not having never played there.

2.Home Fans

While saying BC and BU make up a ton of the crowd when all they have to do is hop on a train for 15 minutes is true but really if UNH, Maine or Vermont were that close to the rink you would sell out much more often.

If you had the same distance to every school to the game site you would see a much different make up in the stands. Vermont and Maine would have had the most last year, heck Maine was very represented last year and Vermont
                        had a good showing despite having both BBall teams playing the NCAA's the same weekend. If you could move Vermont to Orono and build a rink you
                        would not even need 2 other teams to sell it out.

Think of this BU holds 6150 and BC 7884 when they sellout which they do, but the total attendance to the semis last year was 12544. And thats with
                        the Maine and Vermont fans included.

3. Home

Anyone who has ever traveled for sports knows one of the biggest advantages a team gets at home is sleeping in there own bed and being able to stick to the usual routine. Anyone who ever had a bad night sleep at a hotel knows this, and add the pressure of a big game to that.

So where should they have the final 4 to be fair to ALL HE TEAMS

needs
                        1. Site should be centered as best as possible to all HE teams
                        2. No team should have games there during the reg season
                        3. Location should be big enough for fans coming

The best place would be Manchester (UNH would have to move Dartmouth game) as it is close to all schools in Mass & RI while shortening the trip slightly for Maine and Vermont. The town host NCAA games so big games are nothing new.

Also a rotation that BC/HE brought up would be a improvement.
                        You should petition to go back to the ECAC then. UVM knew the set up when they came to Hockey East so go cry me a river.

I do agree it can move from time to time and I think Providence is a viable option. Someone mentioned Lowell, but Providence is a better city (obviously) due to the bars, restaurants, hotels, etc. Why would Hockey East put their tournament in a place like Lowell? No thanks.

I say keep it at the Garden and every four years or so put it in Providence.

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
                          Why would Hockey East put their tournament in a place like Lowell? No thanks.
                          why would they put it in an arena 1/3 the size of the garden?

Comment

How many games had all the Lowell players played when they made the Garden 2 years ago?

My quess less combined than every freshman on BC. And the upper classmen at BC/BU etc would all have had about a dozen by then.

You cant say having played more in a big stage like that is not an advantage.
                            I look at the last ten champions in Hockey East and I think those teams would have won if the games were played at the Garden, Providence or the Moon. The best team usually wins in Hockey East down the stretch.

Saying the Boston teams win only because they have experience on Causeway Street is laughable at best. The obvious flaw in your theory is Northeastern. They play at the Garden every year but haven't played in the Hockey East final once in over a decade.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_NH View Post
                              I laugh every time I hear Boston pols trumpet 'their' city as 'world-class.' These are the people who feel that the world ends at the Weston Toll Booths. Then again, Boston pols don't get out much. Parochialism runs rampant among all of them.
                              Hmm I thought most if not all of that post was a joke...

Just curious, do you think moving the tournament from Boston is a good idea?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_NH View Post
                                while not Rome, Paris, Tokyo, New York, London et al, Boston is known and respected all over the world...........so, i kind of agree with the last post, i am not sure what you mean or meant to say. Boston pols? we know all about 'em, throw 'em in a pail but it doesnt take away from the city's place in the world, yes, the world...............heck, i have a fair amount of friends/business associates in India who tell me that Boston College is widely known and very well respected there, FYI .........i digress

Comment

Working...
                                X