X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hockey East Tourney on the Move

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
    Larry's cannabis crop just came in.
    Trolley, T, Subway, Buses....itz all the same to me....all unconventional transportation.
    I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

It would be great for media attention, attendance, and incoming recruits to play our championship game in the sticks, so that hillbillies don't have to deal with how uncomfortable the city makes them. Wahhh!
      BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
      -
      Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

You could always have the tourney nowhere near any of the Hockey East schools, like perhaps Madison Square Garden. Hey, if the ECAC can do it, why can't you?

Comment

I'm not really sure how much having the games on NESN cuts into the attendance. Could you expect a crowd 25% larger if the games weren't on TV? It's hard to judge, but obviously it's an issue.

If we're concluding that this is a 9,000-10,000 event (and that's with the big-name schools in it), I think the atmosphere would be better in a smaller building. Worcester is a non-starter in my book; the best options would be Manchester and Providence. Portland has been 'talking' about a new arena for years, but there's no political appetite for that kind of thing (and there probably never will be).
          Chris V
          Nexton (Summerville) South Carolina

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_NH View Post
            If we're concluding that this is a 9,000-10,000 event (and that's with the big-name schools in it), I think the atmosphere would be better in a smaller building. Worcester is a non-starter in my book; the best options would be Manchester and Providence. Portland has been 'talking' about a new arena for years, but there's no political appetite for that kind of thing (and there probably never will be).
            That's just it though...we shouldn't be concluding that. It is not and hasn't been a 9,000-10,000 event. In recent years there's been a couple 12,000+ numbers. I think everyone on here would agree that the economy has been a factor in the lower numbers. Isn't 12,000 bigger than Providence and Manchester? Plus, if/when the economy comes back, that 12,000 will turn into 15,000, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by BCWH Superfan joe View Post
              It would be great for media attention, attendance, and incoming recruits to play our championship game in the sticks, so that hillbillies don't have to deal with how uncomfortable the city makes them. Wahhh!
              Who said move the game to the sticks?

The sites most talked about all have hosted NCAA regionals.

Alot of these posts can be summed up as "We like it this way so leave it alone"
              New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                That's just it though...we shouldn't be concluding that. It is not and hasn't been a 9,000-10,000 event. In recent years there's been a couple 12,000+ numbers. I think everyone on here would agree that the economy has been a factor in the lower numbers. Isn't 12,000 bigger than Providence and Manchester? Plus, if/when the economy comes back, that 12,000 will turn into 15,000, etc.
                Bingo. This was a 14-16,000 event before the recession. Even with the recession, it's still a 12-13,000 event. I think it could very well become a 9-10,000 event if you move it away from the Garden, though. And that's not good. Sure, you might still make just as much money, but you're downsizing in the eyes of fans, players, recruits, etc.
                Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
                  Who said move the game to the sticks?

The sites most talked about all have hosted NCAA regionals.

Or, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
                  time to write new history

Comment

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
                    Or, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
                    Bingo. How quickly people forget that Garden being absolutely freakin banged out for years while BC, BU, UNH and Maine were headlining the show.

I get a laugh out of the "let's grow the game" bit. Yea, let's grow our niche sport so it becomes a ... niche sport that just grew slightly and no one noticed. Title IX + regionalized winter sport that isn't good for television = niche sport forever.
                    Originally posted by reBlur
                    the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

I agree. Lets allow a floundering fish to flounder forever.

Its not the economy stupid, its the fact that simple minds refuse to take a chance on something dramatically new. It never hurts to get outside the box once in awhile, and if you decide to keep doing the same things over and over again, guess what....you get the same old things. Yaughn.

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
                        Yep, these folks in Portland are really economically strapped. Who ta phk do you think it was that made that showing in Boston last year? But you're right, if those folks could save the $25 parking fee, the $250 hotel bill and the $100 for meals, they wouldnt be able to shell out 25 bucks more for a ticket. Good thinking.
                        Anyone from Maine who criticizes the city of Boston should automatically be sent to a mental asylum. Your whole state smells like a cross between dead fish and farmland and "Culture" for someone from Maine is feeding a llama at the York Beach Animal Farm.

No one in their right mind would put a tournament like the Hockey East championships in Portland.
                        Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                          Anyone from Maine who criticizes the city of Boston should automatically be sent to a mental asylum. Your whole state smells like a cross between dead fish and farmland and "Culture" for someone from Maine is feeding a llama at the York Beach Animal Farm.

No one in their right mind would put a tournament like the Hockey East championships in Portland.
                          Go ahead and send me, but please dont send me on ur T. Those stations are too dank and dirty (much like dungeons) for me. Thanks
                          Last edited by acs64; 08-01-2010, 08:13 PM.

Comment

if you decide to keep doing the same things over and over again, guess what....you get the same old things. Yaughn.
                            Well, they were doing the same thing every year and breaking attendance records for several years in the middle of the 2000s. I don't recall anyone complaining back then, either. And that wasn't exactly a new thing in a new building. So ... hockey east did do the same old things and it was getting better results. Now the economy goes dead and one of the big 4 dies and the numbers go down a bit.

It's worth noting that we haven't had the big 4 all make the semis since 2006, and attendance was over 16K each night. And no one was complaining!!! It's gone downhill since then... The Big 4 drive this thing. I don't think it's a coincidence that UVM, NU, and UML got into this thing and the numbers dropped either. It's also worth noting that UMass seems to have filled in admirably for Big 4 teams when they were in this thing before the drop after 2006 (and haven't been back since).
                            Originally posted by reBlur
                            the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Go ahead and send me, but please dont send me on ur T. Those stations are too dank and dirty (much like dungeons) for me. Thanks
                              What stations are you talking about? The T has some of the cleanest and nicest subway stations in the country. They are currently renovating them as well. All the cars on the green line have AC for hot days. In terms of paying for parking there are cheap alternatives. You can park outside the city ie in Alewife for a small fee or park find some street parking (yes you can in certain parts).

As far as the comments about big 4 driving the event. This is partially true. However as UVM, UML, NU, and UMASS gain more success they will be able to bring in large crowds as well. Each of those schools has a large enrollment and large alumni base in the Boston area. With more success they will gain more of a following and have more fans travel to HE. I would not be surprised that the next time one of those schools makes it to the HE championship they end up having the most fans there.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
                                Not really. We realize that it's still about money and that Joe Bertagna isn't dumb enough (close) to move the tournament from a venue that sees 12,000+ during a down year to a venue that can't even fit 12,000. It's pretty simple.

Comment

Working...
                                X