2010-2011 D111 Top 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010-2011 D111 Top 5

Thought I'd initiate a "pre" pre-season poll for the following season. Seems like the BTD recruitment list has held pretty steady over the last couple of weeks and most teams know what they have. ( although some coaches are more forthright in sharing that info than others).....
    So to get it started here are my top 5 in the East. ( with all due respect to our western friends I'm just not that familiar with your schools and their programs. Please feel free to add on where you see fit...

1) Norwich-- All of the big guns still there.... one of them playing her 10th season or so but thats another discussion. The addition of Jill DeBus's offence will help as well. May be some internal issues and some bruised egos trying to find ice for everyone but others in the know claim Bolding has that under control.
    2) RIT - Perhaps the most potent offence in D111 hockey and some good recruits on the way. Can they find the way to not self destruct again?
    3) Plattsburgh - Will feel the loss of Moberg and Buehler but perennial winners with a lot to prove should have them hungry for revenge against Norwich and Elmira. Not a lot of info out on Houle's recruits but the betting is that he has more than what is listed.
    4) Amherst- Quite simply because they are always there!
    5) Elmira- For much of the same as above plus a very under rated recruiting class. They may take a while to come together but much like Platty they always seem to be there in the end.

Have at it !!

Re: 2010-2011 D111 Top 5

Originally posted by 2 for chirping View Post
    3) Plattsburgh - Will feel the loss of Moberg and Buehler but perennial winners with a lot to prove should have them hungry for revenge against Norwich and Elmira. Not a lot of info out on Houle's recruits but the betting is that he has more than what is listed.
    Have at it !!
    Bowler...not buehler. Hard for me to justify a team that didn't win the chip and never has as being No. 1 because they had two out of three good games at NCAAs. but if that's your prerogative, so be it.

Comment

Originally posted by 2 for chirping View Post

1) Norwich-- All of the big guns still there.... one of them playing her 10th season or so but thats another discussion. The addition of Jill DeBus's offence will help as well. May be some internal issues and some bruised egos trying to find ice for everyone but others in the know claim Bolding has that under control.
      2) RIT - Perhaps the most potent offence in D111 hockey and some good recruits on the way. Can they find the way to not self destruct again?
      4) Amherst- Quite simply because they are always there!
      5) Elmira- For much of the same as above plus a very under rated recruiting class. They may take a while to come together but much like Platty they always seem to be there in the end.

Have at it !!
      1. Amherst - 2x defending champ. Some has to prove that they can beat this team. Until then, they stay at #1.
      2. Norwich - tougher NC schedule should help in the polls. Not really graduating anyone either should help too.
      3/4. Plattsburgh or Elmira - Both graduated quality seniors. Always there in the end. Should be there again (but hopefully not).
      5. Middlebury - Just because they play on a really big rink.
      6. RIT - Must prove they can beat the first 5. Didn't lose much to graduation. The right goalie should make a difference.
      7. M'ville - Young team last year. Should be that much better this year.
      8. Trinity - Can they recover after losing stud goalie? I doubt it. They will be out of the top ten by xmas.
      9. Neumann - Maybe a new coach will spark their interest.
      10. GA, W-SP, LF, W-Sup. Take your pick.
      RIT TIGERS
      2007-08 AHA Pick'em Champion

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Fan View Post
        1. Amherst - 2x defending champ. Some has to prove that they can beat this team. Until then, they stay at #1.
        2. Norwich - tougher NC schedule should help in the polls. Not really graduating anyone either should help too.
        3/4. Plattsburgh or Elmira - Both graduated quality seniors. Always there in the end. Should be there again (but hopefully not).
        5. Middlebury - Just because they play on a really big rink.
        6. RIT - Must prove they can beat the first 5. Didn't lose much to graduation. The right goalie should make a difference.
        7. M'ville - Young team last year. Should be that much better this year.
        8. Trinity - Can they recover after losing stud goalie? I doubt it. They will be out of the top ten by xmas.
        9. Neumann - Maybe a new coach will spark their interest.
        10. GA, W-SP, LF, W-Sup. Take your pick.
        RIT - I like your choices and logic for 1 through 8 and would not change, but I like Bowdoin at #9, as they did not lose many players, and none that had a real impact in scoring. That, plus their new coach who did a really good job at Williams will bode well for them. Lake Forest I think will grow from last years success and they too only lost a couple of Defensive seniors, who will most likely be missed a little, but are replaceable with younger players. So......
        1- Amherst
        2 - Norwich
        3 - Plattsburgh
        4 - Elmira
        5 - Middlebury
        6 - RIT
        7 - Manhattanville
        8 - Trinity
        9 - Bowdoin
        10 - LF

Comment

Originally posted by Plugger View Post
          RIT - I like your choices and logic for 1 through 8 and would not change, but I like Bowdoin at #9, as they did not lose many players, and none that had a real impact in scoring. That, plus their new coach who did a really good job at Williams will bode well for them. Lake Forest I think will grow from last years success and they too only lost a couple of Defensive seniors, who will most likely be missed a little, but are replaceable with younger players. So......
          1- Amherst
          2 - Norwich
          3 - Plattsburgh
          4 - Elmira
          5 - Middlebury
          6 - RIT
          7 - Manhattanville
          8 - Trinity
          9 - Bowdoin
          10 - LF
          not even gonna comment on the east crap here...I think River Falls is going to be the best team in the West. Lake Forest caught teams off guard last year, they will be good...but not as good as last year, plus River Falls has brought in some really good recruits. I'd think RF should be in at 4 or 5.
          UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
          NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
          Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Originally posted by nyi19 View Post
            Bowler...not buehler. Hard for me to justify a team that didn't win the chip and never has as being No. 1 because they had two out of three good games at NCAAs. but if that's your prerogative, so be it.
            I stand corrected on the Bowler/Buehler issue. - Both very good players though.

I also think that Norwich might have an easier schedule than Platty, RIT & EC
            who will 'beat' up on each other throughout the season hence Norwich could grab that number one spot in the polls. That is unless one of the aforementioned "run the table"

However we also saw that getting to the playoffs is the key and once your their anything can happen.
            Thats a whole other series of predictions which we can do in Jan-Feb..

What are your predictions ?

Comment

Might get some indiction early in the year when Norwich plays 1st game

October 29 – The women open their season at home here at Kreitzberg Arena. They will be hosting the East / West Classic, a new tournament, featuring New England College, RIT, Elmira, and of course Norwich.
              Steve Day(NU71)
              Go Cadets

Comment

If we want to look at top 5 in the west. Right now I'd put it like this.

1. River Falls....bringing a good team back with good recruits
                2. Gustavus....well its Gustavus
                3. Superior...RIT goalie brings them up a notch or two
                4. Lake Forest...Continues good run in the west
                5. Adrian....hopefully they show a little better against the eastern teams this year....all eyes will be on Adrian, MI jan 7&8 when RIT comes to town
                UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Looking forward to Amherst vs RIT 11/27 & 11/28 @ Ritter Arena, should be a great pair of games.

Comment

Here it is real quick. Actually staying top 5

1. Amherst - Defending champs. Their spot to lose.
                    2. Plattsburgh - Not a homer pick. Out of top teams from last year, lost the least and brought back the most top scorers.
                    3. Elmira - Got something to provide without the likes of players like Kivi and DePaul, but still the defending champions of the best conference with young goalies looking to improve.
                    4. Norwich - A toss-up, but I guess it's hard to rule them out for whatever the reason. Not expecting them to stay in the top 5 past the first two weeks or so. I know some of you have said they didn't graduate anyone, but for them, it can all come down to a bad game against Manhattanville in the ECACE final meaning the end of their season. Inconsistency can be their enemy. Got consistent at the right time last year.
                    5. RIT - Top scorers return, but still haven't gotten it done, even with them. Doesn't make them not a top team, just not a contending team for whatever the reason the last two years. Not to say they can't turn the corner this year.

Comment

Re: 2010-2011 D111 Top 5- Do not overlook Trinity

Do not count out Trinity-- losing Iwachiw was huge but they have their top 10 scorers coming back including three all NESCAC players in Komarek, Colman-McGaw and Weiss with a strong recruiting class that I understand includes a very good goalie. Amherst and Middlebury will be strong again but I suspect that Trinity will be a factor in DIII at the end of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeymaven View Post
                        Do not count out Trinity-- losing Iwachiw was huge but they have their top 10 scorers coming back including three all NESCAC players in Komarek, Colman-McGaw and Weiss with a strong recruiting class that I understand includes a very good goalie. Amherst and Middlebury will be strong again but I suspect that Trinity will be a factor in DIII at the end of the season.
                        Nope...just not enough Canadians (zero) to make Trinity a contender...sorry about your luck.
                        Last edited by 5 4 Fighting; 07-28-2010, 03:16 AM. Reason: Spelled Canadians wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by 5 4 Fighting View Post
                          Nope...just not enough Canadians (zero) to make Trinity a contender...sorry about your luck.
                          So with Middlebury having at least 2 canadians coming in, accordong to BTD they will be much stronger????

Comment

Trinity may not have any Canadiens but will have a couple of Minnesotans who live north of parts of Canada----that will just have to do for them this year.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeymaven View Post
                              Trinity may not have any Canadiens but will have a couple of Minnesotans who live north of parts of Canada----that will just have to do for them this year.
                              The kid from Breck School in MN is going to be a good college player for Trinity, Emily Kliedon I believe.

Comment

Working...
                              X